[Resolved] Quiz with randomization

• Moderators

I have a technician that will soon be sitting for his Java SE7 OCA. In an attempt to help him study, I thought to do a quick random-question quiz for him. Just curious if anyone has seen any decent examples of this (I did a search on the forum, but mostly was questions about how to go about randomizing questions, etc.). I am thinking of the structure below, but am open to suggestions of other ways to do it (or links to posts I may have overlooked):

90 questions total

• 1 array with column for Question Number, Question Verbiage, Number of choices, Correct Letter Answer, Correct Choice Verbiage, Incorrect Choice Verbiage
  • 2nd array with one column for each answer's choices (most are A-D, some go A-G).
  • Separate picture files for code examples used in some questions.

Thinking of a GUI that would randomly pull a question number, and format on the screen the question verbiage, number of choices, and verbiage of each choice. Something like this:

post-54985-0-90903000-1400096070_thumb.p

To keep from repeating a question, I assume I would just remove that index from the array. I would also have to write correct/incorrect verbiage for each question out somewhere, so I can show to the end user at the end, but don't believe either of these is a huge issue. I'm just curious if there is a better way to architect this, or if anyone has seen it done in a different fashion.

Edited by JLogan3o13

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

To keep from repeating a question, you could also run the array through _ArrayShuffle and then just loop through the array from first to last.

I would avoid using 2 arrays if possible, just put everything in one array and pull the information needed from it.

A trick to keep track of how many answers there are to each question would be to use a special character in the last column of each row in the array so that you can loop through the row until you hit that character signifying that the previous item was the last one in there.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• Moderators

Thanks for the input. I will look at doing a shuffle; I am reading the array in from an external source so I can quickly add questions when needed, which is why I figured there was no real issue with simply deleting the index when I'm done with it. ArrayShuffle would definitely get me away from a ReDim situation.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

I made a program like this in the past to practice for a speedboat license exam, I still have the code somewhere...

It reads the questions and answers from an .ini file and doesn't have pictures but it does choose them randomly, it has a timer and it doesn't show the same question twice, if you want I can post some code here for you to check but I will need to change a few things cause all buttons and labels are in Greek.

Edited by AoRaToS

s!mpL3 LAN Messenger

Current version 2.9.9.1 [04/07/2019]

s!mpL3 LAN Messenger.zip

s!mpL3

• Moderators

Sure, always open to see how others have done it. I thought about an ini as well; thought creating the array at the start might lead to better performance overall, but never tested both ways to see if I was correct.

Edited by JLogan3o13

If I were to do this, I would add a record to keep the next test date. I would also keep track of how many times in a row it was correct.

Then do a query of cards that are past due.

I would have the next test date logarithmically proportional to how many times in a row it was successfully answered, eg (times correct in a row;next test...) (0:immmediately, 1; 60 min, 2; one day, 3;3 days, 4;one week; 5 one month; 6 three months...)

That way easy questions are repeated less and less often.

I would also have cards that can have parents, eg set Y as parent of X, only ask "X", if "Y" is not due. Let say you have a set of flash cards for learning spanish. You could have all the conjugations or sentences that use the word, under a flash card that tests the root word.

Maybe I will modify AoRaToS  script. This sounds like a fun project with sqlite.

Edited by DicatoroftheUSA

• Moderators

@AoRaToS, no I have not had a chance to try yet. I may get a chance over the weekend.

@DicatoroftheUSA (I've always been curious whether the misspelling in your name is intentional?)

The intent on my part is to provide all 90 question in simulation of the OCA exam, just in random fashion, not a flash card scenario. I think what you have, while an interesting thought, is beyond anything this tech needs to prepare for his certification.

get Trandumper from here:

http://www.gejos.com/

I did some work on an earlier version of the software. It runs in IE and it makes it easy to make a test and to see what you know. It does random question/answer, drag & drop, fill in the blank, picture support, timed, and test your wrongs. What I like most is it much of the same feel as what you see in the testing center.

The best part - it is free.

To build a test, just use notepad. The app uses txt files to store the test.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

I just wanted to circle back. I have the main script done, just working on optimization (cutting down if-then statements where possible) and aesthetics. I'm thinking, rather than the current setup where questions with code have an input right in the main window, of some sort of slide-out child gui, but haven't gotten around to pursuing it yet. Just wanted to say thanks for all the suggestions.

Practice.zip

Edited by JLogan3o13

I started it and selected "begin" then got this...

"C:UsersguinnessDesktopPracticeQuiz.au3" (37) : ==> Subscript used on non-accessible variable.:

Switch $aArray[$i][0]

Switch $aArray^ ERROR

Using AutoIt v3.3.12.0 and I chose the first radio option.

Edit: I will help you out. You need to ensure that you move the spreadsheet to the @TempDir as currently your FileInstall() assumes that it's located on the C: drive.

Edit 2: Would you be able to make the UI resizable, because right now the titlebar is off my screen and I can't move it.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

• Moderators

Really? That's odd..I am actually running through it right now. Thanks for letting me know, though. I will take a look.

Edit: Sorry, I should mention the uncompiled script has a FileInstall line, which is looking in the root of C: for the .xls file.

Edited by JLogan3o13

See my edit above. I felt bad just being the guy who says "it doesn't work!"

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

It also seems you have alot of duplicate code for creating a GUI, perhaps splitting it up into smaller methods would prove easier to debug/manage.

Edit: Unless I have misunderstood something?

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

• Moderators

Hi, guinness. Nope, you have not misunderstood. As I mentioned, I know there are some inefficiencies there that need to be addressed. It was something I wanted to get done for the employee before he took his exam, so is admittedly a bit rushed. I welcome any constructive (as yours always is) criticism and will be working to optimize down the road; my main goal on updating the post was just a thanks to those who suggested different methods.

Ah, then ignore my comments.

UDF List:

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Just wanted to update this thread, since I finally got back to it. The employee found a lot of value in using this for his exam, so thanks to those who had suggestions on improvement. I did end up cleaning it up quite a bit and removed all the duplicated code that was making guinness barf. Many thanks to Melba's pop-out code from another thread; which makes the script look much cleaner. Also went from almost 1000 lines to less than 300, and added triple the questions.

I've worked up another 300 questions that align with Oracle's test objectives, going to start splitting them out by Easy, Medium, Hard, and Very Hard. Much more and I think it will be time to move away from Excel to some sort of simple db solution.

Edit: as I forgot to mention before, the script is looking for the workbook in the root of C:

Quiz with PopOut.au3

Practice.xls

Edited by JLogan3o13