RunWait, Windows 8.1, and RequireAdmin - help please

I have a very short script that I use as a wrapper for another program. It just does a check to be sure the vendor utility is not already running, allows this utility to run, and then re-launches my other program which is the program that called the wrapper.

#Region ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseUpx=n
#EndRegion ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****

If Not ProcessExists("VendorUtil.exe") Then
        RunWait("\\server1\vendor-share\VendorUtil.exe","\\server1\vendor-share")
    Else
        ProcessWaitClose("VendorUtil.exe")
    EndIf
    Run("C:\util\second-compiled-script.exe","c:\util")
    exit

I do it this way because my "second-compiled-script" may also be copied over by the vendor util if I have updates to it. This has worked well for my users for a few years now.

Now I am trying to run this on a new Windows 8.1 64-bit PC. It does not run the vendor util but it does launch the second-compiled-script. I searched on the forums here yesterday and the only thing I found is to add #RequireAdmin. If I add #RequireAdmin then it will run the VendorUtil but my users don't have admin rights so they cannot run it. So the obvious difference is that one is running from a netowrk share and the other is running from the local drive.

Does anyone have any thoughts on another way to solve this? Is there a way to make the VendorUtil program or the share it runs from a trusted location?

Move VendorUtil.exe to a location that does not require admin rights.

VendorUtil references relative paths from where it was run so it must stay where it is. As it is vendor, I cannot change that. It is a program / file updater.

Just to clarify, VendorUtil does not require admin. The users can run it just fine directly, even under Win8. It is only when trying to do a runwait to a network location that my script wants admin. And this behavior is new with Windows 8.1. Windows 7 work without the admin.

OK, having to retract a statement here. I thought I had tested VendorUtil as a regular user. I just went back and did it again and VendorUtil is asking for Admin credentials. I am now puzzled in a different way. This definitely works for non-admin users under Win7. Do you know why Win8 would think this needs admin credentials when Win7 does not? The VendorUtil binary has not changed.

I think I found it. The UAC needs to be lowered. This is part of the vendor's instructions for running their software and somehow it got missed on this one. However when I look at UAC as my admin user, it shows UAC at never notify. When I am in as my regular user, UAC shows at the default level. Off to research this now.

Found this article: http://windowsitpro.com/windows-server-2012-r2/changing-uac-behavior-windows-server-2012-r2-and-windows-81

It seems you cannot use the control panel to change this as in previous Windows versions. You need to do it from secpol.msc.

Edited by mrwb