Multiline User CallTips

Is it possible to get text to wrap in a User CallTip?

I tried using @CRLF, but it just shows "@CRLF". Some tips are long. But the call tip doesn't extend wide enough to see it all. So I have to open the UDF to see what it is. Would be nice to get it to wrap multiple lines.

See the latest version of AutoIt and the function, _GUIToolTip_SetTipMaxWidth.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• Moderators

DickG,

If you are referring to the UserCallTips in SciTE then the posts in this thread starting from >here should be helpful. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Hi Melba23,

Yes, you are right: UserCallTips in SciTE.

I checked out the link you provided. I found a reference to calltip.*.use.escapes=1 in SciTE properties file,

but cannot find it in any file under the SciTE folder.

DickG,

If you are referring to the UserCallTips in SciTE then the posts in this thread starting from >here should be helpful. :)

M23

• Moderators

DickG,

Add it to your SciTE "User options" file - you can open it from the <Options> menu in SciTE. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

• Moderators

DickG,

>Here - and you got the same answer. ;)

M23

Spoiler

Oh! I didn't realize that. I thought I was responding to Jos on another post. Yes, it was about the same thing,

but I didn't think this was posting multiple times. I guess I'm still learning how this forum works.

I added calltip.*.use.escapes=1 to SciTEUser.properties and added "n" in au3.user.calltips.api where I'd like it to break.

But it won't break the text anywhere. What am I doing wrong?

DickG,

>Here - and you got the same answer. ;)

M23

Hyperlinks can take you anywhere on the internet, not just the forum or just this forum thread. You may need to take care with clicking hyperlinks when using a web browser.

I will go through some steps to check. I have Scite open. I go to the menu bar and open the "Help" entry. Then I click on the "About Scite" entry and see a window popup with some text stating that I have version 3.3.8. This version is OK as I need at least version 3.04 to use the property setting of using escapes. Question: Do you have Scite version 3.04 or later?

Next I go to the menu bar and open the "Options" entry. I click on the "Open User Option File" entry. I see that I have a line with ...

calltip.*.use.escapes=1

in it. Question: Following these steps, do you see this line in the User Options File that is actively open in Scite?

You refer to SciTEUser.properties and au3.user.calltips.api. Check to make sure these files are used by adding a new entry to confirm this. I can only guess how you are formatting the calltip as you have not presented it for our viewing.

If the issue continues, then can you provide version of Scite. If it is Scite4AutoIt3, then also that version. Whether you are using Scite|4AutoIt3 from zip. Using the Scite4AutoIt3 that comes with the AutoIt install. Any related info could be helpful in understanding the issue.

Edit: Fixed a typo

Edited by MHz

I am using SciTE v3.3.7 from SciTE4AutoIt.

The User Option file contains "calltip.*.use.escapes=1" (which I added yesterday).

The au3.user.calltips.api entry is:

_Array_InsertRow("ByRef $Array, $iRef, $iDir") Inserts row above/before (iDir=1 or "") or below/after (iDir=0) $iRef. n Returns nothing (it's ByRef).(required: #Include <UDF_MyFunctions.au3>.

I am using autoit-v3.3.10.2 with the standard SciTE4AutoIt.

I hope this answers your questions. Thanks much for your help!

Dick

Hyperlinks can take you anywhere on the internet, not just the forum or just this forum thread. You may need to take care with clicking hyperlinks when using a web browser.

I will go through some steps to check. I have Scite open. I go to the menu bar and open the "Help" entry. Then I click on the "About Scite" entry and see a window popup with some text stating that I have version 3.3.8. This version is OK as I need at least version 3.04 to use the property setting of using escapes. Question: Do you have Scite version 3.04 or later?

Next I go to the menu bar and open the "Options" entry. I click on the "Open User Option File" entry. I see that I have a line with ...

calltip.*.use.escapes=1

in it. Question: Following these steps, do you see this line in the User Options File that is actively open in Scite?

You refer to SciTEUser.properties and au3.user.calltips.api. Check to make sure these files are used by adding a new entry to confirm this. I can only guess how you are formatting the calltip as you have not presented it for our viewing.

If the issue continues, then can you provide version of Scite. If it is Scite4AutoIt3, then also that version. Whether you are using Scite|4AutoIt3 from zip. Using the Scite4AutoIt3 that comes with the AutoIt install. Any related info could be helpful in understanding the issue.

Edit: Fixed a typo

• Developers

The line you listed works fine for me when added to au3.user.calltips.api and restarting SciTE.

I am using autoit-v3.3.10.2 with the standard SciTE4AutoIt.

I hope you have installed the SciTE4AutoIt3 installer and are not using the standard supplied version that comes with the AutoIt3 installer?

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

The calltip line works for me as well which shows as 3 lines. A missing backslash is seen as there is a need to escape those so they will not be treated as an escape character. I notice the UDF folder used as a path in the calltip which is quite different.

AutoIt version 3.3.10.2 installs Scite (Lite) which is version 3.3.6. Scite4AutoIt3 (Full) which was released in a topic >here in January of this year was 3.3.7. This is probably the version that DickG is using. I do not have a copy of the Scite4AutoIt3 installer that has Scite 3.3.7. I did try the Scite.exe 3.3.7 from the official Scite website and it works with the escaped calltips so I doubt a related bug existed in that version.

DickG, there needs to be a simple mistake happening to cause this. Are you sure you used User Options File rather then Local Options File? The later only does the local directory of the active script that is opened in the tab of Scite. I know I got fooled several years ago and thought Scite was playing tricks on me when I used the incorrect one. Another idea is whether the property setting of  api.$(au3)=...  has been modified in IIRC au3.properties, which I seem to doubt but is possible. Question: Are you adding the calltips direct to the calltip file or are you using the calltip tool in SciteConfig?

A later version of Scite4AutoIt3 has been released and perhaps updating may bring a fresh look at the issue. The files of concern would be in %localappdata%AutoIt v3SciTE rather then %userprofile%. At least with the latest version, we can sync up with the current files and settings of that release. AFAIK, Scite4AutoIt3 that uses Scite 3.3.7 which uses %userprofile% for au3.user.calltips.api.

Yes, I used User Options File to make the entry. The file is located in C:Documents and SettingsAdministrator.P2800SciTEUser.properties

and has the correct entry at the end of the file.

I used SciTE4AutoIt3 to install v3.3.7.

I add the CallTips directly into the api file at C:Documents and SettingsAdministrator.P2800au3.user.calltips.api.

The path to the UDF file works because I can get all CallTips (just without the line breaks).

The api.$(au3) entry in the au3.properties file is:

api.$(au3)=$(SciteDefaultHome)apiau3.api;$(SciteDefaultHome)apiau3.autoit3wrapper.api;$(SciteUserHome)au3.user.calltips.api

I'm not sure how %userprofile% translates to my system. But I can't find "AutoIt" under any other folder other than

C:Documents and SettingsAdministrator.P2800 and C:Program FilesAutoIt3SciTE.

I agree. There must be some simple mistake somewhere. But I'm still baffled by what that could be.

The calltip line works for me as well which shows as 3 lines. A missing backslash is seen as there is a need to escape those so they will not be treated as an escape character. I notice the UDF folder used as a path in the calltip which is quite different.

AutoIt version 3.3.10.2 installs Scite (Lite) which is version 3.3.6. Scite4AutoIt3 (Full) which was released in a topic >here in January of this year was 3.3.7. This is probably the version that DickG is using. I do not have a copy of the Scite4AutoIt3 installer that has Scite 3.3.7. I did try the Scite.exe 3.3.7 from the official Scite website and it works with the escaped calltips so I doubt a related bug existed in that version.

DickG, there needs to be a simple mistake happening to cause this. Are you sure you used User Options File rather then Local Options File? The later only does the local directory of the active script that is opened in the tab of Scite. I know I got fooled several years ago and thought Scite was playing tricks on me when I used the incorrect one. Another idea is whether the property setting of  api.$(au3)=...  has been modified in IIRC au3.properties, which I seem to doubt but is possible. Question: Are you adding the calltips direct to the calltip file or are you using the calltip tool in SciteConfig?

A later version of Scite4AutoIt3 has been released and perhaps updating may bring a fresh look at the issue. The files of concern would be in %localappdata%AutoIt v3SciTE rather then %userprofile%. At least with the latest version, we can sync up with the current files and settings of that release. AFAIK, Scite4AutoIt3 that uses Scite 3.3.7 which uses %userprofile% for au3.user.calltips.api.

Update: I just tried something that worked! I put the "calltip.*.use.escapes=1" entry in C:Program FilesAutoIt3SciTEPropertiesau3.properties

below where the other api.calltip entries are, and it worked! This is strange, no? Everyone else says to put it

in the C:Documents and SettingsAdministrator... folder. But now I get the lines to wrap!

Thanks much for all your help!

Dick

• Developers

Update: I just tried something that worked! I put the "calltip.*.use.escapes=1" entry in C:Program FilesAutoIt3SciTEPropertiesau3.properties

below where the other api.calltip entries are, and it worked! This is strange, no? Everyone else says to put it

in the C:Documents and SettingsAdministrator... folder. But now I get the lines to wrap!

Thanks much for all your help!

Dick

You should put it in the SciTEUser.properties File that opens when you select in SciTE: "Options" / "Open User Options File".

Is that the same file you tried before?

Jos

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Yes, that is correct. That is the file in which it I put it originally. It is located in C:Program FilesAutoIt3SciTEProperties.

Just to make sure it still works, I deleted it from this file. It still works!

Weird? Maybe something in my files are pointing to the Programs FilesAutoIt3SciTE folder when it should point to

C:Documents and Settings? (I'm using WinXP)

You should put it in the SciTEUser.properties File that opens when you select in SciTE: "Options" / "Open User Options File".

Is that the same file you tried before?

Jos

It seems as if SciTEUser.properties is not being parsed or that perhaps you have an error in the file which obstructs the parse. Something like ...

# located at some\path\
calltip.*.use.escapes=1

... can mess it up as the 1st line is a comment, though it ends with a backslash which continues the line into the next line and thus comments that also. So it can be easy to mess it up. I know this one as you learn from experience.

%userprofile%  translates by typing it into the address bar of Windows Explorer and pressing enter. Typing  Start "" "%userprofile%"  into an empty line in the Scite output pane and pressing enter. Using the later command with ShellExecute() in AutoIt can work as well. Many more ways to use Environmental variables. I.e.

ShellExecute('cmd', '/c start "" "%userprofile%"')

The above commands should each open Windows Explorer with your user profile in the viewer pane.

Perhaps you have an environment concern i.e. perhaps you are using a roaming profile on a network. I can only speculate with that idea. I would rather consider an error in the properties files as the possible suspect at the moment.

Edited by MHz

Thanks for the explanation of %userprofile%. That helps.

I can confirm that:

o There is no comment line above the calltip.*.use.escapes=1 entry.

o I am not using a roaming profile.

But as long as it works on my system, I'm happy!

Thanks again for your help!

Dick

It seems as if SciTEUser.properties is not being parsed or that perhaps you have an error in the file which obstructs the parse. Something like ...

# located at some\path\
calltip.*.use.escapes=1

... can mess it up as the 1st line is a comment, though it ends with a backslash which continues the line into the next line and thus comments that also. So it can be easy to mess it up. I know this one as you learn from experience.

%userprofile%  translates by typing it into the address bar of Windows Explorer and pressing enter. Typing  Start "" "%userprofile%"  into an empty line in the Scite output pane and pressing enter. Using the later command with ShellExecute() in AutoIt can work as well. Many more ways to use Environmental variables. I.e.

ShellExecute('cmd', '/c start "" "%userprofile%"')

The above commands should each open Windows Explorer with your user profile in the viewer pane.

Perhaps you have an environment concern i.e. perhaps you are using a roaming profile on a network. I can only speculate with that idea. I would rather consider an error in the properties files as the possible suspect at the moment.