AutoIt v 3.3.12.0 and OS support

Zedna

Edit: btw, the next beta versions will be XP SP 3 only.

But I can't see any mention about that in final changelog of 3.3.12.0.

Can somebody confirm how it's about AutoIt 3.3.12.0 and OS support? Thanks.

Here is mention about OS support from previous 3.3.10.0

3.3.10.0 (23rd December, 2013) (Release)

AutoIt:

Changed: Removed Windows 2000 support. Minimum supported OS is now Windows XP RTM / Windows Server 2003.

EDIT: changed title of topic

Edited by Zedna

Zedna, from preliminary tests, it appears that it works fine in XP RTM.  I've tried a number of examples and there weren't any issues.

However, the latest SciTe will not run on XP RTM, though the bundled one seemed to work fine.

The help file represents the current state of AutoIt, so use that as your reference as the beta testing comments don't always reflect the stable outcome.

Unless Jon says otherwise.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Zedna, from preliminary tests, it appears that it works fine in XP RTM.  I've tried a number of examples and there weren't any issues.

However, the latest SciTe will not run on XP RTM, though the bundled one seemed to work fine.

Odd, they should be using the same source files, but I'll check the compiler settings.

• Administrators

Yeah, I know. They still use the same source files, but are compiled slightly differently. I compile the lite version from the Visual Studio interface but I think Jos uses a batchfle/makefile for the full version and that probably hasn't got the required tweaks.  I'm almost certainly going to move to XP SP3 as the minimum so it's probably not worth trying to fix for now.

• Developers

Yeah, I know. They still use the same source files, but are compiled slightly differently. I compile the lite version from the Visual Studio interface but I think Jos uses a batchfle/makefile for the full version and that probably hasn't got the required tweaks.

Correct, I am using the standard scite.mak to build the full version.

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

I guess that won't be a problem, but what's the reason? Is anything new coming that requires this OSs as minimum? Any improvements in 3.3.13.2?

I think the reason is only to remove some hacks needed to support these old OSs.

For example new Visual Studio don't support them but with some effort/hacks it can be overcomed as far as I know (as Jon said).

Also some API functions (probably) needs some minimal version of OS so dropping support for XP RTM/SP1/SP2 could lead for simpler internals of AutoIt after removing some internal hacks needed for working such API functions.

It was similar with dropping support for Win2000/Win9x (lastly with 3.2.12.1) but I think this time it will be less dramatic change.

EDIT: Thanks for info Jon.

I have one computer with preinstalled XP SP2 in my family so I will apply SP3 patch hopefully soon and I hope that computer and all installed applications will not break its functionality.

I haven't installed SP3 patch yet because there was no reason to break fully functioning computer by such risky operation.

Edited by Zedna

I think Jon is being too fair supporting an OS Microsoft themselves have dropped from their support channel.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Zedna,

Thanks for info.

guinness,

Yes, it's a big deal and I guess a lot of extra works have been done to achieve this, but why now?

What will come out, what kind of improvements or new features can come out after dropping support for the old OS versions?

Does it have any benefits for Autoit?

• Administrators

It's just so I can continue using the latest dev tools without a really ugly hack that we use. Visual Studio 2013 supports XP SP3 out of the box - that's a decent level to aim at.

I think the reason is only to remove some hacks needed to support these old OSs.

For example new Visual Studio don't support them but with some effort/hacks it can be overcomed as far as I know (as Jon said).

Also some API functions (probably) needs some minimal version of OS so dropping support for XP RTM/SP1/SP2 could lead for simpler internals of AutoIt after removing some internal hacks needed for working such API functions.

It was similar with dropping support for Win2000/Win9x (lastly with 3.2.12.1) but I think this time it will be less dramatic change.

EDIT: Thanks for info Jon.

I have one computer with preinstalled XP SP2 in my family so I will apply SP3 patch hopefully soon and I hope that computer and all installed applications will not break its functionality.

I haven't installed SP3 patch yet because there was no reason to break fully functioning computer by such risky operation.

Since when is installing a service pack risky? I've been keeping up with Windows updates on who knows how many machines and have never had one break anything.

Since when is installing a service pack risky? I've been keeping up with Windows updates on who knows how many machines and have never had one break anything.

It's just general "Don't touch/change something that works fine".

When you change hundreds of system DLLs/settings/registry then it can definitely break something.

Upgrading to windows 8.1 broke all (yes, there are about 4) the OEM recovery partitions on my Dell laptop.

Was actually quite nice as I didn't want them so I now had a good reason to reformat them and make use of them.

Zedna: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

That's a good thing, but the only purpose of service packs and monthly or nightly updates is to fix things which proved broken.

Since an unpatched OS is broken, then fix it.

BTW I too installed SP3 on a bunch of XP machines and never experienced a problem.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)