more variables in a single line autoit possible?

is there a way to change more variables on a single line when an if statement is met?

as example:

Global XYOptionWidth = 3
If $XYOptionWidth = 3 Then $SelectedWidth = 1600 and  $troll = 89 , $autoitforum = "I Love you all"

any possible way to make it look as clean as written above?

ps* i know above example does not work

Not in a single line probably not, you'd have to enclose it in a multiline If statement.

If $XYOptionWidth = 3 Then 
    $SelectedWidth = 1600
    $troll = 89 
    $autoitforum = "I Love you all"
EndIf

I wouldn't say no because someone may come along with some totally unwieldy code that allows you to do it. But the way I wrote it is much easier to troubleshoot and debug if something was to be wrong in it.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

If your variables are not already declared, maybe you can use.

If $XYOptionWidth = 3 Then Local $SelectedWidth = 1600, $troll = 89, $autoitforum = "I Love you all"

This seems to be clean and understandable ?

• Moderators

jguinch,

Personally I would still go for an If...EndIF structure:

Local $SelectedWidth = 1600, $troll = 89, $autoitforum = "I Love you all"
EndIf
I have never understood why anyone would want to cram everything onto one line at the expense of readability. Given the relative slowness of AutoIt, any tiny increase in time required to run a multi-line If...EndIf compared to a single line version is in my opinion well worth the increase in readability. ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

The one-liner is possible

Global $SelectedWidth = 0 ,$troll = 0 , $autoitforum = "nul", $XYOptionWidth = 3
Msgbox(0,"", $SelectedWidth &@crlf& $troll &@crlf& $autoitforum)

If $XYOptionWidth = 3 Then Execute( Assign("SelectedWidth" , "1600") and Assign("troll", "89") and Assign("autoitforum", "I Love you all") )

Msgbox(0,"", $SelectedWidth &@crlf& $troll &@crlf& $autoitforum)

Though personally I would never use something like this  :D

jguinch,

Personally I would still go for an If...EndIF structure:

Local $SelectedWidth = 1600, $troll = 89, $autoitforum = "I Love you all"
EndIf
I have never understood why anyone would want to cram everything onto one line at the expense of readability. Given the relative slowness of AutoIt, any tiny increase in time required to run a multi-line If...EndIf compared to a single line version is in my opinion well worth the increase in readability. ;)

M23

I'm one of those :) it's old habit from the 80's, programming on computers with 16KB, 48KB and 64KB of RAM, everything was crammed into as little as possible. So we are used to it, and having just as hard a time with a gazilion lines, as you have with reading crammed code. :)

Some guy's script + some other guy's script = my script!

• Moderators

Werty,

I too started coding in that era (on a 1k RAM ZX-81) - but that did not stop me adopting more reasonable habits when the chance presented itself. As a young child I was also brought up in a house with no bathroom and an outside toilet - but I much preferred indoor plumbing when we moved to a new home. ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Ahh, yes, problem is I didnt go to the bathroom for 20 years ;) (well, more like 15 years, as in doing something else than programming)

But anyways, you DO understand it anyway now :)

Some guy's script + some other guy's script = my script!

I have never understood why anyone would want to cram everything onto one line at the expense of readability.

Not at the expense of readability (smaller regions, overall perspective, navigation and sometimes conformity). The field of view is limited by both the width and height of your screen.

If your variables are not already declared, maybe you can use.

If $XYOptionWidth = 3 Then Local $SelectedWidth = 1600, $troll = 89, $autoitforum = "I Love you all"

Unless this has changed recently, variables can be redeclared in AutoIt. On a side note: it's generally not advisable to declare variables based upon a condition.

Edited by czardas

I agree with you all, but I just ask to the OP question. 

Obviously, I do not use this type of variable declaration, except for the Guinness's challenges :)

Czardas, has you said, variables can be redeclared in AutoIt : yes but i think it is a bad habit, no ?

Czardas, has you said, variables can be redeclared in AutoIt : yes but i think it is a bad habit, no ?

It makes little sense to redeclare a variable in most cases I can think of. If the variable already exists, why declare it again when all you have to do is change its value? However redeclaration can be used as a quick method to empty a large array.

Edited by czardas

Re-dim it to 1 element, set the first one to "", and resize it to the original size after?

I see where you're going, and it would be easier to just redeclare it - but would it be considered a "good coding practice"?

Edited by DatMCEyeBall

"Just be fred, all we gotta do, just be fred."  -Vocaliod

"That is a Hadouken. A KAMEHAMEHA would have taken him 13 days and 54 episodes to form." - Roden Hoxha

@tabhooked

Clock made of cursors ♣ Desktop Widgets ♣ Water Simulation

It was documented at one time (variables can be redeclared), I guess it still is. ReDim is best avoided due to its latency. I haven't made a speed comparison, but other than that I agree that redeclaration of an array for this reason may be a dubious thing to do. I mentioned it as being plausible. I imagine the fastest method would be to have an empty array template that you can assign to the old array.