AutoIt oddities

Go to solution Solved by Melba23,

Hi,

first of all I am glad that the AutoIt language exists, as it enables me to create an GUI user interface with ease. Furthermore I am pleased about this forum with many good and helpful code snippets and the AutoIt  documentation itselfs.

I have not really much experience in programming but I 'd like to discuss some points that are in my opinion curious:

1) The function _FileListToArray returns an Integer of type Int32 if no matching file of the given filetyp (e.g. *.pdf) was found (precisely it returns "0"). In every other case an array is returned. I can't rely on the type that is returned thats why I have to build in a check if type "_isarray" or something like this.

2) The _ArrayMin() function returns nothing, if no values were given. This makes the function completely pointless in my opinion.

Example to check the state of three checkboxes, where multiple checkboxes can be checked by the user:

If Bool($Checkbox_1) Or Bool($Checkbox_2) Or Bool ($Checkbox_3) Then
   Dim $start[3][2]
   If Bool($Checkbox_1) Then
      $start[0][0] = 1
      $start[0][1] = 1
   EndIf
   If Bool($Checkbox_2) Then
      $start[1][0] = 2
      $start[1][1] = 2
   EndIf
   If Bool ($Checkbox_3) Then
      $start[2][0] = 3
      $start[2][1] = 3
   EndIf
   $start_exp = "[" & _ArrayMin($start, 1, 0, 0, 0)  & "-" & _ArrayMax($start, 1, 0, 0, 1) & "]"
Else
   MsgBox(48, "Error", "No mandator is choosen! Please select at least one mandator.")
EndIf   

Func Bool(Const ByRef $checkbox)
    If GUICtrlRead($checkbox) = $GUI_CHECKED Then
        Return 1
    ElseIf GUICtrlRead($checkbox) = $GUI_UNCHECKED Then
        Return 0
    EndIf
EndFunc

This code returns something like [-3] or [-2] for the term $start_exp. If I fill the array with values first e.g. Dim $start = [[0, 0], [0, 0], [0, 0]] the result will always be 0 because 0 is the min value whatever checkbox the user has been clicked. In both cases the _ArrayMin() Function does not do what I (would) like it to do :rolleyes:.

Obviously that already was noted by Dirgi in this >thread. Unfortunately his function does not support the $iSubItem (column to search) parameter. 

In case you have a better idea: I check the state of the boxes not in "real-time" (= not just after it has been clicked). Checkbox state check and value assignment is done after another button has been clicked.

Regards

Auto42

• Moderators

Auto42,

You have do some form of test to check if you have a valid return to errorcheck your code. If no files are found then _FileListToArray sets the @error to a specified value - I suggest that is a better test for success than testing for an array. ;)

As for your second point, I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to do with that array - can you explain its purpose and why you are looking for the min and max values within it? We might then be able to suggest a better solution. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

I'm not sure what you'd want _FIleListToArray to return if it doesn't find the file(s), check @error to see if it's <> 0. You should ALWAYS check to see if the function works after calling it.

_ArrayMin is doing exactly what you tell it to do, look for the lowest value in an array, if it's zero, it's going to return zero.

To check a checkbox, loop through the array of control IDs and see if they're checked.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Hi M23,

wow that was quite fast.

For the frist point: Okay I got it and will check for errors. Besides that it would be nice to return an empty array if no files were found, instead of an integer.

Second point: I have three different clients A, B, C. The output $start_exp will  be part of an Regular Expression of type StringRegexp(..., ([1-3]d{6}(?=s))) The user can choose any mandators (at least one, two or all three). Base on his choice the frist number of the term [n1 - n2] is

1 if A is choosen

2 if B is choosen

3 if C is choosen

the second number n2 is

1 if A is choosen

2 if B is choosen

3 if C is choosen

The complete term defines a 7 digit number that is ranged from 1000000 to 3999999. I lookup pdf files to find this pattern. Unfortunately the pdf files may include other 7 digit numbers. Thats why I want to diminish the range I am looking for as good as possible. If the user just check the boxes A and B I will just search for 1000000 - 2999999 or for the boxes B and C I will just filter numbers from 2000000 - 3999999.

Regards

Auto42

Does the variables $Checkbox_# contain the control IDs of the checkboxes? If so, you need to use GUICtrlRead($Checkbox_1) to read the checkbox to see if it's checked or not, you can't just use the control ID, because that never changes.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• Moderators

Auto42,

We will have disagree about returning an array if no files are found. :)

As to your second question, I would get the SRE term like this:

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>

Global $aCheck[3]

$hGUI = GUICreate("Test", 500, 500)

For $i = 0 To 2
    $aCheck[$i] = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Check " & $i + 1, 10, 10 + ($i * 30), 200, 20)
Next

$cGo = GUICtrlCreateButton("Go!", 10, 100, 80, 30)

GUISetState()

While 1

Switch GUIGetMsg()
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
        Case $cGo
            $iMin = 0
            $iMax = 0
            For $i = 0 To 2
                If GUICtrlRead($aCheck[$i]) = 1 Then
                    If Not $iMin Then $iMin = $i + 1
                EndIf
                If GUICtrlRead($aCheck[2 - $i]) = 1 Then
                    If Not $iMax Then $iMax = 2 - $i + 1
                EndIf
            Next
            $start_exp = "[" & $iMin & "-" & $iMax & "]"
            ConsoleWrite($start_exp & @CRLF)

EndSwitch

WEnd
Please ask if you have any questions about the code. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

Hi BrewManNH,

thanks for your advice first. As implemented in the Bool function, thats exactly the way I am checking my boxes and the Bool function returns 1 or 0 reflecting the box is checked or not. This does work like it should work. My Checkboxes are defined as:

$Checkbox_1 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("A", 400, 30, 70, 20)

$Checkbox_2 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("B", 400, 50, 70, 20)

$Checkbox_3 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("C", 400, 70, 70, 20)

I dont like to use a switch ... case construct where I have to discribe all seven (?) cases to eval all different box-check-situations:

Case box 1 ...

Case box 2...

Case box 3...

Case box 1 AND 2

Case box 2 AND 3

Case box 1 AND 3 (in my case same result as 1 AND 2 AND 3)

Case no box check (--> Raise msg box error)

I thought there would exist a more "advanced" possibility to implement this.

Regards

Auto42

• Moderators
  • Solution

Auto42,

I dont like to use a switch ... case construct where I have to discribe all seven (?) cases

And with the algorithm I used you do not have to - as you can see when I expand it to have 7 checkboxes: ;)

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

Global $aCheck[7]

$hGUI = GUICreate("Test", 500, 500)

$iBound = UBound($aCheck) - 1

For $i = 0 To $iBound
    $aCheck[$i] = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Check " & $i + 1, 10, 10 + ($i * 30), 200, 20)
Next

$cGo = GUICtrlCreateButton("Go!", 10, 460, 80, 30)

GUISetState()

While 1

Switch GUIGetMsg()
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
        Case $cGo
            $iMin = 0
            $iMax = 0
            For $i = 0 To $iBound
                If GUICtrlRead($aCheck[$i]) = 1 Then
                    If Not $iMin Then $iMin = $i + 1
                EndIf
                If GUICtrlRead($aCheck[$iBound - $i]) = 1 Then
                    If Not $iMax Then $iMax = $iBound - $i + 1
                EndIf
            Next
            If $iMin And $iMax Then
                $start_exp = "[" & $iMin & "-" & $iMax & "]"
                MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Result", $start_exp)
            Else
                MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Error", "No mandator is choosen! Please select at least one mandator.")
            EndIf

EndSwitch

WEnd
You check the boxes in both ascending and descending order and set the $iMin & $imax variables to the first checked box you find in each direction - if no boxes are checked then neither variable is set and you get an error signalled. Clearer now? :)

M23

Spoiler

Sorry, I missed that, probably didn't scroll far enough down.

BTW, your Bool function could be shortened considerably.

Func Bool(Const ByRef $checkbox)
    Return (GUICtrlRead($checkbox) = $GUI_CHECKED)
EndFunc

It can only be in one or the other state (unless you use the 3 state checkbox style), so it returns true or false.

The proposed code works fine for me :). I put it in an extra function to keep the main-loop "clean & clear". *happy*

And @ BrewManNH: That was a term I was looking for too. I tested what GUICtrlRead($checkbox) returned and was confused that it returns 1 if the box is checked and 4 if the box is not checked. I expected a standard boolean return and obviously failed to build up that obvious solution you presented.

Auto42

• Moderators

Auto42,

Delighted we solved your problem. :)

M23

Spoiler