Connect AutoIT Script with USB Device

Hey all, I'm not sure if I'm planning on doing this correctly or what, but I am trying to basically connect a USB device to an AutoIT script.  In full, the script will:

• Receive information from USB Device.  In this case, it is a fingerprint scanner.
  • Read information and make it into a format (may not be needed and already know how to do this)
  • Upload it to a website

For now, I am looking to take information from a USB device and upload it.  Is it possible, and if so, how would I start on grabbing information from this device?  I was looking into unique identifiers for biometric scanners, but really didn't find a definite answer.  

To be clear, I'm not trying to take information from software already connected to the scanner, I am trying to be that software.

Sorry if this is a little confusing, it is kind of hard to explain ... If anyone needs clarity on this to give me some help, I can do that.

Thanks a ton guys!  I hope someone can help me with my difficulties!

Your question is not all that clear.  If your asking how to interact with your fingerprint scanner software (not clear on that since you also say you are "trying to be that software") ...

at any rate, if you know the name of the USB fingerprint scanner and the software it uses that would be a good start (post that).  Also, if you have any code you have written that would also be helpful (post that too).

Edited by Jfish

Build your own poker game with AutoIt: pokerlogic.au3 | Learn To Program Using FREE Tools with AutoIt

not sure AutoIt is what you're looking for - it sounds to me like you want a chunk of software that will communicate directly with a chunk of hardware ... and that's called a device driver which, far as i'm aware, is beyond what AutoIt is capable of

it might be a different story if you were open to grabbing data from the existing driver

FUNCTIONS: WinDock (dock window to screen edge) | EditCtrl_ToggleLineWrap (line/word wrap for AU3 edit control) | SendEX (yet another alternative to Send( ) ) | Spell Checker (Hunspell wrapper) | SentenceCase (capitalize first letter of sentences)

CODE SNIPPITS: Dynamic tab width (set tab control width according to window width)

Your question is not all that clear.  If your asking how to interact with your fingerprint scanner software (not clear on that since you also say you are "trying to be that software") ...

at any rate, if you know the name of the USB fingerprint scanner and the software it uses that would be a good start (post that).  Also, if you have any code you have written that would also be helpful (post that too).

Hey!  Sorry for the vagueness, I guess I on't really know what I'm asking because I don't know where to begin.  So here's what I got:

• I want to save data from a fingerprint scanner.
  • I bought a fingerprint scanner, but nothing came with it (drivers, software, etc.).  I decided to not return it and see what fun I could have.

I have no code written up yet (mainly because I don't know where to start).  But I looked into the device a little...

• Microsoft recognizes it as a "Fingerprint Scanner" but is still considered unrecognized.
  • I have the USB identifier (at work right now, don't have it on hand)

I don't really need code written up for me, I just would like some help on the methodology, if possible.  So I guess my questions are:

1. Is it even possible to communicate with the device without the initial drivers.
  2. Do I really need drivers for the device, or can I communicate with it as it is now.
  3. If I do need drivers, where should I start?
  4. What should I look into to get communicating with the device?
  5. Will I be able to communicate with the device through AutoIT or is this type of project too much for it?  If I can use AutoIT, what should I look into in terms of commands

I hope that clears some things up!  Thanks a ton for your help!