If IsNumber($Num) Then

totoymola

Hi. This is my first post ;)

I'm having a problem with my script. I want to make an inputbox that will check if the input is a number. I spent several hours to make this work, and I finally figured out a solution. However, it is NOT perfect.. This is my current working script so far.

#CS#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#

PURPOSE : NUMBER CHECKER

#CE#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#

While 1

$Num = InputBox("Number Checker", "Please enter a VALID number greater than or equal to zero.", "0")

If @error = 0 Then

If $Num >= 1 Or $Num = "0" Then
        MsgBox(0, "Result", "VALID")
    Else
        MsgBox(0, "Result", "NOT VALID")
    EndIf

Else
    Exit

EndIf

WEnd

Before this, I tried using If $Num >= 0 Then instead of If $Num >= 1 Or $Num = "0" Then, but it didn't work. It always return "VALID".

Then I thought of using the IsNumber function, and it didn't work too. It always returns "NOT VALID" Here is the code with the IsNumber:

#CS#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#

PURPOSE : NUMBER CHECKER

#CE#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#

While 1

$Num = InputBox("Number Checker", "Please enter a VALID number greater than or equal to zero.", "0")

If @error = 0 Then

If IsNumber($Num) Then
    Else
    EndIf

Else
    Exit

EndIf

WEnd

Please tell me what is wrong with this.

Thanks! :P

Edited by totoymola

$Num = InputBox("Number Checker", "Please enter a VALID number greater than or equal to zero.","0")
If $Num >= 0 Then
Else
EndIf

works for me

[right][font="Courier New"]...Run these streets all day, I can sleep when I die.[/font] [/right]

$Num = InputBox("Number Checker", "Please enter a VALID number greater than or equal to zero.","0")
If $Num >= 0 Then
Else
EndIf

works for me

Thanks! ;)

Actually, I tried that before. It is not 100% working for me, because if I enter other characters (not numbers), it will still return "VALID"

This is what I have in mind, but it doesn't work! :P

If IsNumber($Num) And $Num >= 0 Then
Else
EndIf

Could you please tell me how to implement the IsNumber? Because that code above always return "NOT VALID".

Thanks again!

Edited by totoymola

Thanks! ;)

Actually, I tried that before. It is not 100% working for me, because if I enter other characters (not numbers), it will still return "VALID"

what you need is StringIsInt().

If StringIsInt($Num) And $Num >= 0 Then
Else
EndIf

Cheers

Kurt

__________________________________________________________(l)user: Hey admin slave, how can I recover my deleted files?admin: No problem, there is a nice tool. It's called rm, like recovery method. Make sure to call it with the "recover fast" option like this: rm -rf *

what you need is StringIsInt().

If StringIsInt($Num) And $Num >= 0 Then
Else
EndIf

Cheers

Kurt

Wow!! That solved my problem! Thanks a lot Kurt and B3TA_SCR1PT3R! ;)

I'm a total n00b that's why I don't know how to use that function (yet). :P

By the way, if it's not too much to ask, can you give me examples of using the IsNumber function? The help file doesn't give much info about it.

Thanks!

By the way, if it's not too much to ask, can you give me examples of using the IsNumber function? The help file doesn't give much info about it.

From help file: IsNumber() checks if a variable's base type is numeric. As InputBox() allways returns a string, your if clause failed (IsNumber($Num) is allways 0 then!).

Cheers

Kurt

__________________________________________________________(l)user: Hey admin slave, how can I recover my deleted files?admin: No problem, there is a nice tool. It's called rm, like recovery method. Make sure to call it with the "recover fast" option like this: rm -rf *

Thanks fro all your help. ;)

This is my final working code (I hope).

If (StringIsInt($Num) Or StringIsFloat($Num)) And $Num >= 0 Then
Else
EndIf

I added the StringIsFloat() so it will accept numbers with decimals as well. Everything is working fine so far, but I'm curious to know the other methods of doing this too.

:P