Running a proxy server, how?

First sorry if it's not the best place to post such a thread.

Let me explain what's going on.

I got a Windows VPS, running Windows Server 2003, and I'm tring to run a SOCKSv5 ProxyServer with authentication.

I have installed CCProxy and started the proxy server, but it can only support about 1400 concurrent connections, however the VPS has a lot of free resources (RAM, CPU etc), while there are +1400 connectings.

I search a bit and I found that CCProxy can't handle more than this amount and it's mentanied in thiere website as well.

I tried another software, SocksPuppet, but that supports even less (about 750 concorrent connections).

I tried to run squid on Windows, I was successful but it doesn't support SOCKSv5, it only supports HTTP(S) as far as I know.

Anyone here exprienced with this kind of things? Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

OK, for anyone who is interested to know, the biggest problem of all proxy server softwares on windows is that they are creating a thread for each connection, while in most cases a single thread can handle a lot of connections. I found a light weight software which is using a thread pool to handle a dozen of connections with 200 threads.

In windows there is a limit on the maximum number of threads a process can create.

I solved the problem for now.