A "sleep" doubt

Go to solution Solved by Melba23,

If your program is an "event" based application then it shouldn't make any difference from what I can tell. I am also hoping you held down the zero key, because that value is equal to 1157.407 days. So I would say 250ms is id(ea)le*

* I made a joke!

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

• Moderators
  • Solution

MyEarth,

We did some tests a few years ago and found that only a few hundred nanoseconds were sufficient pause to keep the CPU under control, so from a cooling point of view, the minimum value of Sleep(10) is more than adequate. GUIGetMsg varies between ~15 ms and almost instantaneous depending on the CPU loading and that seems to run without problem - as far as I know when in OnEvent mode there is no real benefit from using anything longer. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

We did some tests a few years ago

Who's we? I am your go to tester normally.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

So guinness say 250ms, Melba23 a minimum of 10ms ( but the raccomandable value? What did you use 10ms? )

Yes i'm held down the zero key but i have see very long "zeros" sleep :D

JLogan3o13 i don't have idea how to check the difference, the CPU load seems equal but i don't know there is a "test" for check the real difference

Edited by MyEarth

• Moderators

guinness,

It was the "AutoIt community" "we" - see >here. ;)

And I note with some interest that it was nearly 8 years ago - just after my arrival here! Seems the little grey cells are still in good working order. :party:

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

Just go with 10 or 15, though there isn't a one for all rule!

UDF List:

• Moderators

MyEarth,

For MessageLoop mode you want the Sleep to be as short as possible so that the message stream is read as often as possible - hence the automatic variable timing of GUIGetMsg. As I mentioned before, as far as I know in OnEvent mode it makes no difference - but I use Sleep(10) and I have never had any problems. :)

M23

Spoiler

you got me worried here. i made a quick review of some of my scripts (the heavier ones, all MessageLoop mode) - and as i suspected, i did not use Sleep at all. still my scripts run quite well, without extra load on the CPU (or so it seems).

would you advise i should add a Sleep(10) and check the performance more thoroughly?

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

• Moderators

orbs,

Read more carefully:

GUIGetMsg varies between ~15 ms and almost instantaneous depending on the CPU loading

so if you are in MessageLoop mode you do not need a Sleep at all - as merely reading the message stream gives the CPU an automatic breather. All a further Sleep would do is make the script less responsive. ;)

M23

Spoiler

Help file >> GUIGetMsg(). Also Melba23 just mentioned that there is a 15ms to stop overloading the CPU in a tight loop.

UDF List:

For no other reason than that I'm bored (I'm waiting for someone else to finish their tasks before I can proceed) :) .  This is taken from the on event mode example and modified. 

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>

Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1) ; Change to OnEvent mode

Local $hMainGUI = GUICreate("Hello World", 200, 100)
GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, "CLOSEButton")
GUICtrlCreateLabel("Hello world! How are you?", 30, 10)
Local $iOKButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("OK", 70, 50, 60)
GUICtrlSetOnEvent($iOKButton, "OKButton")
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $hMainGUI)

Sleep(109521666047) ; <- this works
;~ Sleep(109521666048) ; <- this fails
ConsoleWrite("Here" & @LF)

Func OKButton()
    ; Note: At this point @GUI_CtrlId would equal $iOKButton,
    ; and @GUI_WinHandle would equal $hMainGUI
    MsgBox(0, "GUI Event", "You selected OK!")
EndFunc   ;==>OKButton

Func CLOSEButton()
    ; Note: At this point @GUI_CtrlId would equal $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE,
    ; and @GUI_WinHandle would equal $hMainGUI
    MsgBox(0, "GUI Event", "You selected CLOSE! Exiting...")
    Exit
EndFunc   ;==>CLOSEButton

This is completely silly of course, but it does illustrate a point.  Namely that the main code doesn't need to do anything in "on event" mode.  Something else I tested is that on my computer "109521666047" is actually the maximum number I can put into sleep, rather than "2147483647" as per the documentation.  This is with Windows 7 64 bit, AutoIt (x86) 3.3.10.2 .

I suspect however, that I'm getting a very specific bit overflow or something, and that "2147483647" is the actual maximum that it will sleep, considering the binary pattern of the numbers:

00000000 00000000 00000000 00011001 01111111 11111111 11111111 11111111 = 109521666047
00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 01111111 11111111 11111111 11111111 = 2147483647

BTW, I determined the maximum by experimentation.  If the number is too large, one reaches the "Here" immediately and the program exits afterward.

How's my riding? Dial 1-800-Wait-There

Trying to use a computer with McAfee installed is like trying to read a book at a rock concert.

Actually, I take that back.  I just did this Sleep(9223372036854775807) and it worked.

01111111 11111111 11111111 11111111 11111111 11111111 11111111 11111111

I also did this Sleep(-1) and that worked as well.

11111111 11111111 11111111 11111111 11111111 11111111 11111111 11111111

So apparently it's a simple matter of overflow after all. :)

Trying to use a computer with McAfee installed is like trying to read a book at a rock concert.

• Moderators

mrider,

Possibly not as simple as that. :D

From what Jon has said over the years I understand that using any integer value under 10 for Sleep is treated as 10 by AutoIt - whereas using 0 merely gives up the next CPU timeslice and therefore is unsuitable for tight loops. So it all depends how AutoIt is interpreting these huge integers that you are using - you might not be pausing for as long as you think. Perhaps you could test using TimeInit/Diff and see. ;)

M23

Spoiler

@Melba23,

Good point.  I wasn't real excited about leaving the desktop up for days and days just to test sleep in AutoIt.  My "test" was simply to leave the window running for a while, say 30 or more seconds.  It might be instructive - or at least curiosity satisfying - to dink around with this at some point in the future if I get bored.  Probably not today though.

This is just my uninformed opinion: but to answer the O.P., it's probable that putting in a large sleep value when it will work will give microscopically less processor utilization.  But it's not worth violating the principle of least surprise.  Generally speaking, when I use on event mode, I'm usually reaching for some sort of poor-man's multithreading effect, and a Godzilla sized sleep wouldn't work anyway.

Edited by mrider

Sleep(9223372036854775807)

This doesn't work on my system as the script just exits straight away.

UDF List:

This doesn't work on my system as the script just exits straight away.

Well, I'll be.  It didn't work for me this time either, nor did Sleep(-1).  But it did last time, I swear!  However Sleep(109521666047) just now "worked" when I tested it - where "worked" means it slept until I manually closed the window.

The whole thing is kind of silly anyway, I'd have to wonder about the sanity of anyone that put in such a large sleep value on purpose.  I was just curious. :)