FFSearch always finding the string

Hello!

My problem is that this code below is always finding the String i input, no matter if its there or not.
Since i know that _FFSearch is returning "1" when the search is successful, i find putting it into an If-EndIf cycle useful.

I tried to modify a script i found on the AutoIT forum, it was nearly perfect for me, but that script didnt searched outside of a textbox, when i started typing into it.

#include <FF.au3>
#include <Misc.au3>

#comments-start
This script periodically checks a Firefox web page for a certain word or phrase.
#comments-end

; Enter text to watch for.
$lookfor = InputBox("Enter search text", "Enter search text")
; Exit if cancel button is pushed.
If @error = 1 Then Exit

;$rate = InputBox("Check how often?", "Enter rate in milliseconds at which to check. Entering 2000 will check every two seconds.", "2000")
$rate = 500
$counter = 0;

; Watch for desired text.
Do
; Pause for $rate milliseconds.
Sleep($rate)

if _FFSearch($lookfor) then
 MsgBox(4096, "'" & $lookfor & "' found.", "'" & $lookfor & "' found.")
 $counter = 1
endIf

Until  $counter = 1; Until desired text is found.

; Highlight desired text by searching for it using Find.
Send("^f")
Sleep(100)
Send($lookfor)
; Close Find dialog
Send("{ESC}")

Func End()
MsgBox(0, "Script ended", "` key pressed. Script ended")
Exit
EndFunc ;==>End

My question would be, how the _FFSearch is working? What would be the correct format, so that command would search properly in Mozilla?

For additional information, i can tell that i can use commands like opening new tab in Mozilla, closing a tab, etc. But this _FFSearch is an annoying thing i cannot make working.

Thank you for your help! If i made a beginner error, please forgive me, i tried so many approach to this _FFSearch command, i may missed something simple solution.

It would help if you posted a link to FF.au3, so people didn't have to search the forum just to test your code.

Anyways..The values returned from _FFSearch look dodgy. Have you tried with $bSearchInFrames set to false?

;o) Cor

nothing is foolproof to the sufficiently talented fool..

Ah yes, im sorry about that. I'll provide the link to the FF.au3 right now!

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Now that i modified the part:

$counter = 1
endIf

To:

if _FFSearch($lookfor [, $bCaseSensitive = False [, $bBackwards = False [, $bWrapAround = True [, $bWholeWord = False [, $bSearchInFrames = False]]]]]) then
   $counter = 1

endIf

im having the error message:
Subscript used on non-accessible variable. Which i find weird, because that variables are created in FF.au3. Im clueless right now, since im using AutoIT for the third day by now. >_<

I tried to run the script with the default _FFSearch parameters, which i found in the FF.au3 documentation:

http://english.documentation.ff-au3.thorsten-willert.de/ff_functions/_FFSearch.php

By the way, this..

$foo = SomeFunction($param [,$param2="foo" [,$param3="bar"]])

means that the first parameter is required, but the second and third are optional. You don't include the square brackets or the "=value" parts in the function call, they are simply to let you know what it and isn't optional, and what the default values (that you don't send) would be. e.g.

$foo = SomeFunction($variable)

or

$foo = SomeFunction($variable, $another_variable)

or

$foo = SomeFunction($variable, $another_variable, $and_another)

would all be fine. The $variables could be actual values, e.g.

$foo = SomeFunction("foo", "bar", 256)

These are fairly standard coding conventions which if you have no expreience of, might be slightly confusing.

;o) Cor

Thank you for your help Cor!

Im having no error messages right now, however the program doesnt want to find the String i enter, it just skips to the Else statement.

if $stringFound = 1 then
   $counter = 1
  else
    MsgBox(4096, "'" & $lookfor & "'not found.", "'" & $lookfor & "' not found.")
endIf

I was curious if other functions from the FF.au3 are working or not, so i tried to enter a new command outside of the IF cycle:

$tabAdd = _FFTabAdd("www.google.com")
$tabAdd

Turns out, the script does not open a new tab in Mozilla, so there is something i missed, when i included the FF.au3.

Out of curiosity, i'd like to ask about this:

_FFSearch($sSearchString[, $bCaseSensitive = False[, $bBackwards = False[, $bWrapAround = True[, $bWholeWord = False[, $bSearchInFrames = True]]]]])

I see that there is five parameters inside of _FFSearch, so i tried this line in the script:

$stringFound = _FFSearch($lookfor, false, false, false, false, false)

This is giving me "Error: incorrect number of parameters in function call."

How come, that your line, which is:

$stringFound = _FFSearch($lookfor, false, false, false)

is working fine?
I tought that your command line is changing only the first three parameter, instead of all the five parameters in the _FFSearch function.
I'll try to make myself easy to understand, so this is what i imagined, what your line is doing :sweating:

_FFSearch($sSearchString[, $bCaseSensitive = False [, $bBackwards = False [, $bWrapAround = False]]])

I didn't look at the documentation (which on looking now, looks wrong), but inside the UDF (FF.au3) the function has only four parameters..

Func _FFSearch($sSearchString, $bCaseSensitive = False, $bWholeWord = False, $bSearchInFrames = True)

I should add, I have no experience with this UDF!

;o) Cor

ps. you have the MozRepl add-on installed, right?

Edited by corz

You had a right guess then, but it worked, haha!

Yes, MozRepl is up and running. Yesterday i ran some example script for the FF.au3, and they worked fine, Firefox opened a new tab, closed one, started up, so everything went fine. I'll create a new script, just for testing if the FF.au3 functions are working today, or not.

EDIT:
Yup, even a test script is doing nothing, when i run it. I'll try to fix this myself, i have no idea how its not working today, but yesterday everything was fine >_<

EDIT2:
A simple computer restard, and the script is working, incorrectly tought, but its working... weird!

Edited by princze89

I just cant figure out why _FFSearch cant find the string in a Firefox tab.

if _FFSearch($lookfor, False, False, False) then
   ;$lookfor is the string we are looking for
   MsgBox(0,"Found:", $lookfor)   

;if string hasnt been found, "Not found" message will appear
  elseIf _FFSearch($lookfor, False, False, False) = 0 then
    MsgBox(0,"Not found:", $lookfor)

endIf

Its jumping to elseIf right away. But if im using:

MsgBox(0,"Found:", $lookfor)

;if string hasnt been found, "Not found" message will appear
   elseIf _FFSearch($lookfor) = 01 then
    MsgBox(0,"Not found:", $lookfor)

endIf

FFSearch is always returning 1, it finds the string no matter what i type in.