IE.au3 Dropdown menu and submit

Go to solution Solved by jdelaney,

Okay so I'm still pretty new with Autoit. I recently decided to mess around with the IE.au3 UDF.

I'm stumped. Currently I've been able to create a new browser and navigate to a webpage. I also figured out how to attach my script to an existing IE browser.

What I'm currently stumped on is I can't figure out how to select a dropdown menu.

On a website I'm on there is a dropdown menu. You click it and all the options pop down (typical menu). I want to be able to select a certain item from that dropdown menu. Then click the submit button.

Any help is appreciated. (And yes, I used google but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. Or if I did it was too confusing for me to understand.)

Edited by BitOfHope

could you post a link to the site containing that dropdown menu ?

I'd rather not post my banks website =/ I'm using it as a test site to help learn this UDF.

Is there a way to help me without linking the site directly? I could try to find another site with a dropdown menu if it's needed.

Edit: Here we go. The dropdown menu on this calorie calculator page. How would I select different options in that dropdown menu and then click the [CALCULATE] button? http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Edited by BitOfHope

• Solution

basic example...the calculate will fail, since I'm not setting all required values...but this is just for demonstration of select and submit:

#include <ie.au3>

$oIE = _IECreate("http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm",True)
$oActivitySelect = _IEGetObjById($oIE, "activity")
_IEFormElementOptionSelect($oActivitySelect,"1.2") ; Select's "Little/no exercise"

$oCalculate = _IEGetObjById($oIE, "Button1") ; click calculate
_IEAction($oCalculate, "click")
Edited by jdelaney
IEbyXPATH-Grab IE DOM objects by XPATH IEscriptRecord-Makings of an IE script recorder ExcelFromXML-Create Excel docs without excel installed GetAllWindowControls-Output all control data on a given window.

basic example...the calculate will fail, since I'm not setting all required values...but this is just for demonstration of select and submit:

#include <ie.au3>

$oIE = _IECreate("http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm",True)
_IEFormElementOptionSelect($oActivitySelect,"1.2") ; Select's "Little/no exercise"

Wow, this works! Would you mind adding in notes breaking down what every little thing does? If not that's fine, I can work it out on my own. Thank you either way!

Open the webpage, and press F12...there is a tool to point at the IE object, which will return the source...example from the 'Select'...notice the @id = activity...so, that's how I grabbed the object. 

As for the functions I used, click on them to see the help file, and an explanation.

<select name="activity" id="activity">
              <option value="1.0">Basal Metabolic Rate</option>
              <option value="1.2">Little/no exercise</option>
              <option selected="true" value="1.375">3 times/week</option>
              <option value="1.4187">4 times/week</option>
              <option value="1.4625">5 times/week</option>
              <option value="1.550">5 times/week (intense)</option>
              <option value="1.6375">Every day</option>
              <option value="1.725">Every day (intense) or twice daily</option>
              <option value="1.9">Daily exercise + physical job</option>
</select>
IEbyXPATH-Grab IE DOM objects by XPATH IEscriptRecord-Makings of an IE script recorder ExcelFromXML-Create Excel docs without excel installed GetAllWindowControls-Output all control data on a given window.

Open the webpage, and press F12...there is a tool to point at the IE object, which will return the source...example from the 'Select'...notice the @id = activity...so, that's how I grabbed the object. 

As for the functions I used, click on them to see the help file, and an explanation.

<select name="activity" id="activity">
              <option value="1.0">Basal Metabolic Rate</option>
              <option value="1.2">Little/no exercise</option>
              <option selected="true" value="1.375">3 times/week</option>
              <option value="1.4187">4 times/week</option>
              <option value="1.4625">5 times/week</option>
              <option value="1.550">5 times/week (intense)</option>
              <option value="1.6375">Every day</option>
              <option value="1.725">Every day (intense) or twice daily</option>
              <option value="1.9">Daily exercise + physical job</option>
</select>

This is fantastic.

But when I try this on another site it doesn't want to do... anything. At all. I might be grabbing the wrong ID but I'm pretty much out of things to try. Would there be some reason I wouldn't be able to manipulate it?

Nope, you can add debugging, or post the HTML source, like I did above, and someone (or myself) will tell you what's wrong...post your code too (you can strip out your actual url).

debugging example:

#include <ie.au3>

If Not IsObj($oActivitySelect) Then
    MsgBox(1,1,"Unable to find the 'Select'.")
    Exit
EndIf

Nope, you can add debugging, or post the HTML source, like I did above, and someone (or myself) will tell you what's wrong...post your code too (you can strip out your actual url).

debugging example:

#include <ie.au3>

If Not IsObj($oActivitySelect) Then
    MsgBox(1,1,"Unable to find the 'Select'.")
    Exit
EndIf

Okay, here is the HTML source(I think? It's a little confusing):

<form id="menuForm" class="autoInput" action="?id=18" method="post">
                                                                        <select name="print">
                                                                                                <option value="option1">Selection1(Default)</option>
                                                                    <option value="option2">Selection 2</option>
                                                                    <option value="option3">Selection 3</option>
                                                                    <option value="option4">Selection 4</option>
                                                                    <option value="option5">Selection 5</option>
                                                                    <option value="option6">Selection 6</option>
                                                                                    </select>
                                                                    <input class="input_submit_btn" style="width:110px; line-height:15px;margin:10px;" type="submit" name="Submit" value="Submit">
          </form>

Here's my current script:

#RequireAdmin
#include <IE.au3>

$oIE = _IECreate("myurlhere", True)
$oActivitySelect = _IEGetObjById($oIE, "menuForm")
_IEFormElementOptionSelect($oActivitySelect, "option2")
$oCalculate = _IEGetObjById($oIE, "submit")

When I run the script it selects my web browser and then just sits there.

Edit: To add on to this when I use your debug script it gives me the popup if I enter anything other than "menuForm"

Edited by BitOfHope

Close...you want to grab the 'select', not the 'form'...notice there is no id, but there is a name, so use this one instead:

_IEGetObjByName

Your name is "print"

<select name="print">

Close...you want to grab the 'select', not the 'form'...notice there is no id, but there is a name, so use this one instead:

_IEGetObjByName

Your name is "print"

<select name="print">

I've tried using print.

#RequireAdmin 
#include <IE.au3> $oIE = _IECreate("myurlhere", True) 
$oActivitySelect = _IEGetObjById($oIE, "print") 
_IEFormElementOptionSelect($oActivitySelect, "option2") 
$oCalculate = _IEGetObjById($oIE, "submit") 

(Right?)

It doesn't work =/ I used the debugging script you posted and the box pops up and says Unable to find the 'Select'.