"window management" question _ Beginner.

Hi everyone.. :bye:

I am new to autoit, as a beginning, I am automating installation of some windows applications.

it was fine till i tried to automate installation of programs such as office2010 or kaspersky internet security 2014.

the problem is that successive installation windows share the same title, besides, when using "autoit window info" there is no visible text at all (for all windows). other window characteristics are exactly the same.

So how to distingush installation windows from each other in script?

i need to know when the installation process window (the one with progress bar) is completed and final window shows up so that i close it and begin activating the program.

I do not want to use "sleep" since there is no knowing as how much time this process is going to take on different PC's.

Hi, welcome! office2010 can be installed silently, when i get home i give more info on that, as for the rest, WinWaitActive will wait for the window to appear, if there's no text, it's more tricky, you may not have text but you may have the id's and then use commandcontrol or whatever it's called, im not home, or i would be more helpful.

Spoiler

Renamer - Rename files and folders, remove portions of text from the filename etc.

GPO Tool - Export/Import Group policy settings.

MirrorDir - Synchronize/Backup/Mirror Folders

BeatsPlayer - Music player.

Params Tool - Right click an exe to see it's parameters or execute them.

String Trigger - Triggers pasting text or applications or internet links on specific strings.

Inconspicuous - Hide files in plain sight, not fully encrypted.

Regedit Control - Registry browsing history, quickly jump into any saved key.

Time4Shutdown - Write the time for shutdown in minutes.

Power Profiles Tool - Set a profile as active, delete, duplicate, export and import.

Finished Task Shutdown - Shuts down pc when specified window/Wndl/process closes.

NetworkSpeedShutdown - Shuts down pc if download speed goes under "X" Kb/s.

IUIAutomation - Topic with framework and examples

Au3Record.exe

thank you careca

yes, i knew that office 2010 could be installed silently (using microsoft office customization tool) and right now i am trying to use it. However, regardless of that, still i wish that i can find a solution for my problem. i feel that i'll be of more control (using autoit) specially in case of applications that cannot be installed silently.

regarding "winwaitactive", it is what i depend on most, but, -as you said- it is confusing when there is no text. Moreover, controls in the window are not recognised by the "autoit window info". controls doesn't return their IDs nor any other information.

waiting for you careca, or any other who can help me on this.

Edited by amd711

In installing apps, (In my experience) I always look to do things in the following order:

1. Does the installer support command line switches? If yes, ALWAYS go that direction unless there is some valid reason not to. The reason (I just want to watch the install) is not a valid reason.

2. Is it possible to get a snapshot of a image on a PC, install the app, then take a second snapshot, and finally look to see what has changed? This method allows you capture the differences then using WISE or InstallShield to make your own installer and give it command line switches with the captured files and settings. That way you can install silently.

3. If this fails then use the control click method that AutoIt supports. I HATE using this method for users can screw up the install more ways than you can count. I'm not saying to never use AutoIt to do it. I'm saying if you are using your installer in an environment where you are not directly monitoring what is happening, always go for 1 then 2. If you HAVE to use 3 then understand you have to use handles and control clicks. NEVER use send.

Hope this helps.

Kaspersky

Office 2010

So there you have it, what he said. ;)

Spoiler

Renamer - Rename files and folders, remove portions of text from the filename etc.

GPO Tool - Export/Import Group policy settings.

MirrorDir - Synchronize/Backup/Mirror Folders

BeatsPlayer - Music player.

Params Tool - Right click an exe to see it's parameters or execute them.

String Trigger - Triggers pasting text or applications or internet links on specific strings.

Inconspicuous - Hide files in plain sight, not fully encrypted.

Regedit Control - Registry browsing history, quickly jump into any saved key.

Time4Shutdown - Write the time for shutdown in minutes.

Power Profiles Tool - Set a profile as active, delete, duplicate, export and import.

Finished Task Shutdown - Shuts down pc when specified window/Wndl/process closes.

NetworkSpeedShutdown - Shuts down pc if download speed goes under "X" Kb/s.

IUIAutomation - Topic with framework and examples

Au3Record.exe