Extracting album art from mp3

Go to solution Solved by careca,

Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.gromkov.com/faq/repair/mp3_validator.html

AKA

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mp3val/

Still available an updated regularly.

Well, there you go.

Thanks for that, don't know if I ever would have chased it up again, as the version I have does its job well enough.

Someone obviously brought it back from the brink.

As for your MP3 Art issue, I guess I could play around with one of your troublesome mp3's if you made a short one available for download. I'll probably fire up my working PC in the next day or so, so I could play around a bit then.

P.S. Another handy program I use, is MP3Cut (all one word, beware of alternatives), which I use for instant MP3 editing ... just cuts and fades. It does it without reconverting, so is very quick and lossless. Not sure about any possible recent updates, but the one I have only supports ID3v1 tags, so watch out for entries being truncated and/or lost.

Edited by TheSaint

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

Well, i tried to send you a pm with a link to a mp3 file, but it says you cannot receive messages.

I've been pinpointing the offsets/patterns for this to work with most mp3 and seems this one does.

'696D6167652F6A706567' is specific and never changes, top of mp3, just before the embedded image.

'FFD9' There are more than one entry, but i only need the first one found, and it's the end of the picture, last 2 bytes are the same.

#include <String.au3>
#include <FileConstants.au3>
;$Mp3 = '08 - Cypress Hill.mp3'
$Mp3 = 'Boss Ac - Ainda (Boss Ac).mp3'
$File = FileOpen(@ScriptDir & '\'&$Mp3, 16)
$Read = FileRead ($File)
$StartStr = StringInStr($Read, '696D6167652F6A706567')
ConsoleWrite('$StartStr '& $StartStr &@CRLF)
$EndStr = StringInStr($Read, 'FFD9')
ConsoleWrite('$EndStr '& $EndStr &@CRLF)
$Mid = StringMid($Read, $StartStr+26, $EndStr-4)
$File1 = FileOpen("pic.jpg.txt", 18)
FileWrite($File1, $Mid)
ClipPut($Mid)

Now all i need is a way to convert the output that's in HEX, into a file.

Experts step in please.

Maybe i could somehow convert this to ANSI and then the file could be created like im doing?

Spoiler

Renamer - Rename files and folders, remove portions of text from the filename etc.

GPO Tool - Export/Import Group policy settings.

MirrorDir - Synchronize/Backup/Mirror Folders

BeatsPlayer - Music player.

Params Tool - Right click an exe to see it's parameters or execute them.

String Trigger - Triggers pasting text or applications or internet links on specific strings.

Inconspicuous - Hide files in plain sight, not fully encrypted.

Regedit Control - Registry browsing history, quickly jump into any saved key.

Time4Shutdown - Write the time for shutdown in minutes.

Power Profiles Tool - Set a profile as active, delete, duplicate, export and import.

Finished Task Shutdown - Shuts down pc when specified window/Wndl/process closes.

NetworkSpeedShutdown - Shuts down pc if download speed goes under "X" Kb/s.

IUIAutomation - Topic with framework and examples

Au3Record.exe

I just tested this with the media player script that I built that uses the ID3 UDF and it was able to pull out the album art from the MP3s that I tested it on. So, the UDF still works even with 3.3.13.2, which is the latest beta I have installed.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Thank you, now i just have to discover what is the issue on my end, or, solve the problem above.

Spoiler

Renamer - Rename files and folders, remove portions of text from the filename etc.

String Trigger - Triggers pasting text or applications or internet links on specific strings.

Power Profiles Tool - Set a profile as active, delete, duplicate, export and import.

Finished Task Shutdown - Shuts down pc when specified window/Wndl/process closes.

Au3Record.exe

I did a test today, and used MP3Tag to add a second image to one of my mp3's, and while my program didn't have a problem recognizing artwork existed, it only showed the existence of the newly added image. In truth, I guess it's not set up to do otherwise, so artwork still works with two images, to some degree. Undoubtedly, and going by what BrewManNH has said as well, there must be something wrong your end. Removing both images, using my program with that version of the UDF, took two passes.

I also tried a progressive Jpg and that worked fine.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

Hello, i gave up trying to understand why the udf doesn't work here, im now bashing on this other issue, and i hope someone has an alternative.

So i found this script in the forum, and what it does is it grabs a file, converts it, gives some sort of dump file with text, (bunch of ASCII characters), and then reads from there to recreate the file again, and so i thought: Great! all i have to do in somewhere in the process, retrieve just what i need, and then create the file..but it doesn't work, seems like as soon as i use my commands stringinstr and the like, all i get in the dump file is the hex string, no more ascii.

#include <String.au3>

$Mp3 = 'cover.jpg'
$StringFile = "testbin.txt"
$NewBinaryFile = "test_out.jpg"

; read binary file
$Read = FileRead($File)
FileClose($File)
#cs
$StartStr = StringInStr($Read, '696D6167652F6A706567')
$EndStr = StringInStr($Read, 'FFD9')
$Mid = StringMid($Read, $StartStr+26, $EndStr-4)
ConsoleWrite('$Mid '& $Mid &@CRLF)
ConsoleWrite('String($Mid) '& String($Mid) &@CRLF)
#CE

; write hex file
$StringFileHDL = FileOpen($StringFile, 18)
FileWrite($StringFileHDL, String($Read))
FileClose($StringFileHDL)

; read hex file
$HexFile = FileOpen($StringFile)
$HexString = FileRead($HexFile)
FileClose($HexFile)

; write new binary file
$HexFile = FileOpen($NewBinaryFile, 18)
FileWrite($HexFile, Binary($HexString))
FileClose($HexFile)

What i can get from any file in the created txt is a lot of these ASCII:

"çó¯J𶟢øèɤøãÀ«£kYhçŽÔÛy uÚàG§5Ä|ºövØ?èÖãþ *io»þ=á<ÿ Ï1Ò½ÇÆ/t}Jxt™æ»µ¹†I,€ÊI.b“¨ÇÆxôpœ‚ äR½‡dÊ0Û[™9¶‡î"

What i get if i use those commented functions is just a one-line-only very long hex string.

Question, how can i output to the file in ascii while being able to use those commented functions?

I probably overlooked something.

Thanks

Spoiler

Au3Record.exe

You might be lucky, and someone may be able to help you here with that.

Or (while you are waiting)

I feel the answer you are really looking for, is in the UDF.

You could

[1] Make a copy of the UDF.

[2] Strip out all the functions not being used for the Artwork query, and/or just build up a UDF copy with only the functions required, as you come across them.

[3] Use MsgBox's to check on values being returned.

Doing that, should simplify the look of the code, so it doesn't look as much of a nightmare to troubleshoot and understand.

If you cannot eventually understand a piece of code, then do a query about it here ... after checking the Help file first of course.

You should be able to narrow things down, and the simpler your queries are here, the more help you are likely to get ... quicker even. It's always better if the asker for help, does most of the legwork.

Though, it would be really helpful for one of us here, to investigate one of your troublesome MP3's ... and your full code for querying the artwork. Perhaps a little error has been overlooked, and they will help us determine that.

Spoiler

userbar.png

@TheSaint: Thanks for your persistant help, very appreciated, got a...

Major breakthrough!!

I was looking at this from the wrong angle, i was outputting hex, whereas i had to output ASCII, and i confirmed it.

#include <String.au3>

$Mp3 = '08 - Cypress Hill.Mp3'
$NewBinaryFile = "test_out.jpg"

$Read = FileRead($File)
FileClose($File)

$ReadH = _HexToString($Read)
ConsoleWrite('$ReadH '& $ReadH &@CRLF)
$StartStr = StringInStr($ReadH, 'image/jpeg');'696D6167652F6A706567')
$EndStr = StringInStr($ReadH, 'PRIV');'FFD9')
$Diff = $EndStr - $StartStr-13
$Mid = StringMid($ReadH, $StartStr+13, $Diff)
$StringFileHDL = FileOpen($NewBinaryFile, 18)
FileWrite($StringFileHDL, $Mid)

Tested with 3 mp3 files, and extracted the first image found in all 3, could someone test this?

The only issue, for now, is that for 2 of the mp3's, it outputs a jpg the total size of the mp3 :

but it opens as an image nevertheless! Experts step in, and please explain why that happens.

For now, i don't have time to investigate, but tomorrow i will, if nobody steps in.

Best regards, and thanks TheSaint, for you support in this quest.

Edited by careca
Spoiler

Au3Record.exe

Without going too intimately over your code, I just expect the value for

$EndStr

is not being returned for the other two files, so you are seeing a read result for most of a file.

Spoiler

userbar.png

Hello,

The Saint, you were correct, the value for the end was not retrieving correctly.

#include <String.au3>

;Test Files
;$Mp3 = 'Boss Ac - Ainda (Boss Ac).Mp3'
;$Mp3 = 'Auréa Busy (For Me).Mp3'
;$Mp3 = 'Bryan Adams - Back To You.Mp3'
;$Mp3 = '08 - Cypress Hill.Mp3'
;$Mp3 = 'David Guetta Feat. Usher - Without You.Mp3'
$Mp3 = 'Dealema O Pendulo.Mp3'
$NewFile = "test_out.jpg"

$Read = FileRead($File)
FileClose($File)
$StartStr = StringInStr($ReadH, 'image/jpeg', 2, 1);'ÿØÿá', 2, 1);'ÿØÿà', 2, 1)
$EndStr = StringInStr($ReadH, 'ÿÙ', 2, 1)
If $StartStr = 0 Then ConsoleWrite('No match for beginning of jpg!' &@CRLF)
If $EndStr = 0 Then ConsoleWrite('No match for end of jpg!' &@CRLF)
If $StartStr = 0 OR $EndStr = 0 Then
ConsoleWrite('Could not retrieve image!' &@CRLF)
Else
$Diff = $EndStr+2 - $StartStr+13
$StringFileHDL = FileOpen($NewFile, 18)
EndIf

This works on most of my files, but because the string to search for the end of the file is so small, sometimes it finds it in other offsets, sooner than supposed to, and so the output file will be shorter, and corrupted, other times there are no other bits of string like that one, so it outputs correctly, need guideance in al alternative way to retrieve the position of the end of the image file..

Spoiler

Au3Record.exe

That sounds a bit tricky, and why there are the ID3 tag fields in the first place.

One helpful way, would be to limit how much you read in, in the first place. Either by character count or some indicator that signifies where the MP3 track itself starts. Then you either filter out the unwanted or just include it (or both) ... if size is not impacted and any extra data is not significant in any way. Obviously that is just a work-around, and not a recommendation from me.

Spoiler

userbar.png

• Solution

Thank you for the sugestion TheSaint, i managed to do it another way, after reading a lot on mp3 headers and such, i found out this is much more difficult than just search for the section, because the sections don't have an order, so your sugestion can't work on all files, example, COMM (comments) may be on top or under the APIC (album picture) section, then there is the title, album etc etc.. depends on the file, so i came up with a not-so-elegant solution, but one that works, (on all files i tested, might i add) by searching the end of the jpg files. which is specific to all and is 'ÿÙ', but because the pattern is so small, it can be repeated numerous times thoughout the mp3 and/or the jpg itself, so there could be false positives, this screws up the jpg, for instance, the script would find it in the middle of the jpg, and assume it's the end, then the output file is obviously corrupted.

Solution: What i did was load the picture, "_GDIPlus_ImageLoadFromFile" and if it gives error, search for the pattern again, but retrieve the second match, and so on, to a limit of 10 times. The most tricky files i found had about 6 entries of these, the 3rd or 4th would be the correct match and load the image right, so 10 is well above the average.

Hope i've made myself clear enough, i know sometimes my english is..ehh.

Someone test this please.

#include <String.au3>
#include <GDIPlus.au3>

;Test Files
;$Mp3 = 'Boss Ac - Ainda (Boss Ac).Mp3'
;$Mp3 = 'Auréa Busy (For Me).Mp3'
;$Mp3 = 'Bryan Adams - Back To You.Mp3'
;$Mp3 = '08 - Cypress Hill.Mp3'
;$Mp3 = 'David Guetta Feat. Usher - Without You.Mp3'
$Mp3 = 'Dealema O Pendulo.Mp3'
$NewFile = "Output.jpg"

Local $i

$Read = FileRead($File)
FileClose($File)
$StartStr = StringInStr($ReadH, 'image/jpeg', 2, 1)
$EndStr = StringInStr($ReadH, 'ÿÙ', 2, 1)
If $StartStr = 0 Then
    ConsoleWrite('No match for beginning of jpg!' &@CRLF)
Exit ;Exit because there is no image.
Else
If $EndStr = 0 Then
    ConsoleWrite('No match for end of jpg!' &@CRLF)
    ValidateIMG() ;So we search for more, found a beggining, there must be an end.
Else
ValidateIMG()
EndIf
EndIf

Func ValidateIMG()
_GDIPlus_Startup()
$Load = _GDIPlus_ImageLoadFromFile($NewFile)
If $Load = 0 Then
    $i=1
    Do
    $i=$i+1
    ConsoleWrite('$i '& $i &@CRLF)
    $EndStr = StringInStr($ReadH, 'ÿÙ', 2, $i)
    $Load = _GDIPlus_ImageLoadFromFile($NewFile)
    ConsoleWrite('$Load '& $Load &@CRLF)
    Until $Load <> 0 Or $i = 10
    If $i = 10 Then
        MsgBox(64, 'Error', 'Couldnt find end of jpg!')
    EndIf
EndIf
EndFunc

Best regards.

EDIT: typo

Edited by careca
Spoiler

Au3Record.exe

What version of AutoIt are you using?

I've just done a quick test and found that for me ID3_v3.4.au3

Works with AutoIt v3.3.8.0
Does not work with AutoIt v3.3.10.2
Works with AutoIt v3.3.12.0

Maybe you have the same problem and this will help avoid your work around.

Edited by bolthead

Is the image data in the header itself?

If it is, then my suggestion, was just to get the header essentially, and then filter out what wasn't needed from that.

I was going by your statement of the image saved by your code was sometimes the size of the mp3 file itself.

The header of course, would be a lot smaller than that.

Anyway, it seems you have a workable solution.

Spoiler

userbar.png

I've just done a quick test and found that for me ID3_v3.4.au3

Works with AutoIt v3.3.8.0

Does not work with AutoIt v3.3.10.2

Works with AutoIt v3.3.12.0

Maybe you have the same problem and this will help avoid your work around.

It is v3.3.10.2! Ahh so much for that..

Well, i don't care now, this solution is smaller, and simpler for what i need.

Thank you for that info anyway.

@TheSaint: "Is the image data in the header itself?"

This site explains it better than me:

"As the tag consists of a tag header and a tag body with one or more frames, all the frames consists of a frame header followed by one or more fields containing the actual information."

"There is no fixed order of the frames' appearance in the tag, although it is desired that the frames are arranged in order of significance concerning the recognition of the file. An example of such order: UFID, TIT2, MCDI, TRCK ..."

As i can't work it out thru hex and the bytes, i have to work with ASCII, which is messy and not so accurate as the bytes route.

"Anyway, it seems you have a workable solution."

Could you test it please and see how it works for you?

Thank you all for your support.

Spoiler

Au3Record.exe

Thank you, great news! :D

Spoiler

Au3Record.exe

If you want more testing, you should do a posting of your working code in the Examples forum.

More people will probably see it there, and I'm sure some will find your code quite handy.

It is an example after all.

Spoiler

userbar.png

Thanks for the sugestion, will do.

Spoiler

Au3Record.exe