_Crypt_DecryptData With Blank string?

I am in the process of updating one of my programs to use the new _Crypt_DecryptData instead of the old _StringEncrypt but I noticed that when using _Crypt_DecryptData on a blank string it returns -1.

Which ends up causing issues with some of my code.  I understand that this is probably the intended way for it to work... but it would cause issues if someone were to try to use this function imbedded within other functions... like RegRead.

RegRead returns a blank string if a registry does not exist.  Or for instance IniRead may return a blank string on a key that does not exist.

I feel that _Crypt_DecryptData should be returning blank information if the string is indeed blank. ;-)

I will recode my program to bypass this for now.  Just hoping it can be changed in a future release to simplify coding in the future.  So that I don't have to add extra... if $var = -1 then ....

Proph

You'll notice that  the function returns -1 on an error but it also sets @error, you should be checking for an error and not checking for the return value. The return value, for an error, isn't documented for that function, but the @error values are.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I understand that.  I was just pointing out that the way it handles blank strings... by flagging a blank string as an error... we can not embed the command within other commands like:

_Crypt_DecryptData(RegRead("SomePath", "Key"), "PASSWORD", $CALG_RC4)

because if the regread does not exist it will return a blank string and _Crypt_DecryptData will then return -1.  Instead I would have to do something like:

$RegVar = RegRead("SomePath", "Key")
If $RegVar <> "" Then
_Crypt_DecryptData($RegVar, "PASSWORD", $CALG_RC4)
EndIf

In my opinion it would be simple to change the udf to return a blank string if the original string is blank. Therefore making it much simpler to use. ;-)

Not a big deal... just an observation.

Unfortunately you appear to have chosen the only encryption algorithm which doesn't work with empty input in Crypt.au3.

Something is clearly broken there, but not always:

Local $pass = 'password in use today'
Local $algo = $CALG_RC4
Local $cyphertext = _Crypt_EncryptData(StringToBinary('', 4), $pass, $algo)
_ConsoleWrite("error = " & @error & @LF & _VarDump($cyphertext) & @LF)
Local $res = _Crypt_DecryptData($cyphertext, $pass, $algo)
_ConsoleWrite("error = " & @error & @LF & _VarDump($res) & @LF)
Local $plaintext = BinaryToString($res, 4)
_ConsoleWrite("error = " & @error & @LF & _VarDump($plaintext) & @LF)

; correctly displays:
error = 0
Int32        0
error = 0
Binary       (4) 0xF800AA87
error = 0
String       (4) ''

; but things break down if you change the password (unless you're lucky!)

BTW I never get -1 as return value (v3.3.12.0 or beta 3.3.13.8).

Edited by jchd

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

I understand that.  I was just pointing out that the way it handles blank strings... by flagging a blank string as an error... we can not embed the command within other commands like:

Which I think is the proper way to handle a blank string, you're creating an error condition by trying to decrypt nothing, and the function tells you that.

because if the regread does not exist it will return a blank string and _Crypt_DecryptData will then return -1.  Instead I would have to do something like:

$RegVar = RegRead("SomePath", "Key")
If $RegVar <> "" Then
_Crypt_DecryptData($RegVar, "PASSWORD", $CALG_RC4)
EndIf

This would be the correct way to code it. You should never rely on another function's return value if you don't know for sure that it will return what you need every single time, you should always check for an error or unexpected return unless you know 100% that it will/can never fail. Realistically, that's not possible, so check to make sure what you're doing is as bulletproof as you can make it.

In my opinion it would be simple to change the udf to return a blank string if the original string is blank. Therefore making it much simpler to use. ;-)

That snippet above makes it so that you don't need to change the UDF, just change your code to expect the unexpected. :) Edited by BrewManNH

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I see no issue with the UDF.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

The issue is that an empty string plaintext doesn't round trip thru RC4 encryption/decryption. Other available algorithms don't have this issue.

A simple but effective workaround is to prepend pseudo-salt, like this (but it weakens RC4 on bulk use):

#include "crypt.au3"

Local $pass = 'Key: select as you see fit'
Local $algo = $CALG_RC4
Local $salt = 'This is salt. Actual plaintext starts here >'
Local $cyphertext = _Crypt_EncryptData(StringToBinary($salt, 4), $pass, $algo)
Local $res = _Crypt_DecryptData($cyphertext, $pass, $algo)
Local $plaintext = BinaryToString($res, 4)
ConsoleWrite($plaintext & @LF)
Local $recovered = StringTrimLeft($plaintext, StringLen($salt))
ConsoleWrite("'" & $recovered) & "'" & @LF)
Edited by jchd

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

All is now clear.

Background:

RC4 is the only cypher (among what Crypt offers) which is nothing more than an XOR of the plaintext bytes and integers in [0, 255] rearranged by the key. Thus if the plaintext has length 0, then the ciphertext also has length 0.

The issue:

_Crypt_EncryptData() and _CryptDecryptData() use DllStructs to hold plaintext and ciphertext and invoke Advapi32.dll functions. In our particular case, the structure length is zero, but DllStructs don't allow for zero-length structure elements:

Local $t = DllStructCreate("byte[0]")
ConsoleWrite("error = " & @error & "  struct size = " & DllStructGetSize($t) & @LF)
Local $read = DllStructGetData($t, 1)
ConsoleWrite("error = " & @error & "  value read is " & VarGetType($read) & " = " & $read & @LF)
Local $read = DllStructGetData($t, Default)
ConsoleWrite("error = " & @error & "  value read is " & VarGetType($read) & " = " & $read & @LF)

; produces

error = 2  struct size = 0
error = 1  value read is Int32 = 0
error = 1  value read is Int32 = 0

From there on, we're trapped with a wrong ciphertext.

So until it's decided how to fix the issue to correctly pick a zero-length variable in this case, please use pseudo-salt.

Edited by jchd

Hmm...I have no suggestion as to how or if we should fix this.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

If? Yes of course!

How? That is the pending question.

Maybe the fix would come from DllStruct accepting zero byte arrays?

UDF List:

Already asked to Jon >here.

• Moderators

jchd,

As a stopgap, could we not alter the UDF to look for RC4 encryption of a zero-sized data packet and simply return an empty string - perhaps with @extended set to indicate the fact?

Func _Crypt_EncryptData($vData, $vCryptKey, $iALG_ID, $bFinal = True)

If $vData = "" And $iALG_ID = $CALG_RC4 Then
        Return SetError(0, 1, "")
    EndIf
Or am I being too simplistic? :huh:

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Yes that's what I've done on my copy. There is little problem due to RC4 being a stream cipher. But this is a ugly kludge and I'm going to bet my first diaper that the zero-length struct item issue will keep on causing problems elsewhere or already have silently.

BTW I see no need to raise extended: everything is as it should be. To be consistent we should return Binary(''), not a string, from both functions.

Edited by jchd

It's not a fix I would suggest.

UDF List:

That's not a fix but a garrotte! The actual culprit is elsewhere.

What do you have in mind, short of having the structs fixed themselves?

• Moderators

guinness,

Why not? It solves the proximate problem immediately and is so simple that it will not be difficult to remove when the actual problem is resolved. Personally I have no problem either way - I do not use RC4 encryption - but I wonder why you seem so against it. :huh:

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

Melba,

I rather see the fix as:

If $iALG_ID = $CALG_RC4 And BinaryLen($vData) = 0 Then Return Binary('')

• Moderators

jchd,

I bow to your acknowledged superiority in these matters. :P

M23

P.S. And in English we say "tourniquet" - "garrot" is a method of killing/executing. Although the principle is exactly the same in either case. ;)

Edited by Melba23

Spoiler

Superiority, my ass: you fly well above us most of the time!

I used Translate for that word. They mention stopping blood but not Franco routine game.