website test script with IE.au3?

Hi

I am looking at using autoit to automate testing of a website at work with IE.au3 because even though it has been a long time since I have used autoit, I have written a few applications with it and I am not impressed with cucumber as a method of automated testing.

Unfortunately the developer of the website lacked experience and the code is not very 'test' friendly, a lot of page elements do not have ID or Names defined and the employers do not want to put the time/cost into dealing with the technical debt.

My question is, will autoit with IE.au3 be able to find elements by drilling down the HTML DOM tree (if this is the correct term) of a web page?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Marc

My AutoIt Scripts.- AutoHost and Password Enabler for Delta Force 2 Demo.| Caffine for Winamp 2.9x and WRS 2.0 | mp3 directory cleaner | CRAP DJ | A:B:J Radio Automation Software | FFMPEG batch conversion automator

Well I know that the IE functions included can recognize tables, links, images, and framesets (either frames or iframes) on a webpage. Probably more, but I'm not sure. Browse thru the Help file and see for yorself what can be done with the IE functions. There a several scripts here that can also probably do what you want.

How many pages and how big are the pages that need to be 'corrected'? Depending on that, it shouldn't take more than an hour or so to 'make them right'. Probably less time than it would take to do the research needed to write and then come up with a working script to 'test' the site.

- Bruce /*somdcomputerguy */  If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Thanks for reply, I did a little digging though IE.au3 last night and was able to figure out enough to access elements without ID or Name set so will continue using a mix of IE.au3 functions where possible and custom stuff when required.

Both the developers and I would love for the site to be redone properly and have explained the case to the higher ups, but we don't get to make the calls. Business logic vs Developer/Tester logic.

My AutoIt Scripts.- AutoHost and Password Enabler for Delta Force 2 Demo.| Caffine for Winamp 2.9x and WRS 2.0 | mp3 directory cleaner | CRAP DJ | A:B:J Radio Automation Software | FFMPEG batch conversion automator

Thanks for reply, I did a little digging though IE.au3 last night and was able to figure out enough to access elements without ID or Name set so will continue using a mix of IE.au3 functions where possible and custom stuff when required.

Cool beans man, good luck with your project. B)

Business logic vs Developer/Tester logic.

I have found myself in more than one similar situation. When talking to anybody in a suit or with their own office, I have found explaining simply to them that rewriting or correcting any kind process is a better way to do things because whatever the process does now, it'll do better. Better means more things. More things means more money. That usually goes over quite well with them.. B)

Edited by somdcomputerguy

- Bruce /*somdcomputerguy */  If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.