@extended (error handling)

How can I have a description for the error code returned by @extended ?

I found this thread:

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

That suggests this code:

#include <WinAPI.au3>

$n = 53; Error code
MsgBox(64, "Test", _WinAPI_GetErrorMessage($n))

Func _WinAPI_GetErrorMessage($iErrorNum)
    Local $tText

$tText = DllStructCreate("char Text[4096]")
    _WinAPI_FormatMessage($__WINAPCONSTANT_FORMAT_MESSAGE_FROM_SYSTEM, 0, $iErrorNum, 0, DllStructGetPtr($tText), 4096, 0)
    Return DllStructGetData($tText, "Text")
EndFunc  ;==>_WinAPI_GetErrorMessage

When I try to compile it I get an error saying:

"warning: $__WINAPCONSTANT_FORMAT_MESSAGE_FROM_SYSTEM: possibly used before declaration."

I believe WinAPI.au3 has changed since then.  How can this be adapted to the current WinAPI.au3?

Thank you,

Docfxit

Perform a search for the variable name, find out which file it's it, add the #include line with that file name to your script. There's even a handy function in SciTE called Find In Files (SHIFT + CTRL + F) where you can search inside of files for a string.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Thank you for the quick response...

I tried searching in the include path where AutoIt is installed:

C:ProgramsAutoIt3Include

and it didn't find the string.

Maybe you have another Idea I can try?

Thank you very much for your great help,

Docfxit

The name got changed in 3.3.10.x and up, it's now called $FORMAT_MESSAGE_FROM_SYSTEM, and it's in  AutoIt3IncludeWinAPIConstants.au3 at least I believe that is the same one.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Thank you for looking into that...

I tried adding:

#include <WinAPIConstants.au3>

And using

_WinAPI_FormatMessage($FORMAT_MESSAGE_FROM_SYSTEM, 0, $iErrorNum, 0, DllStructGetPtr($tText), 4096, 0)

Instead of:

_WinAPI_FormatMessage($__WINAPCONSTANT_FORMAT_MESSAGE_FROM_SYSTEM, 0, $iErrorNum, 0, DllStructGetPtr($tText), 4096, 0)

So this is what the code looks like:

#include <WinAPI.au3>
 #include <WinAPIConstants.au3>

$n = 53; Error code 
MsgBox(64, "Test", _WinAPI_GetErrorMessage($n)) 

Func _WinAPI_GetErrorMessage($iErrorNum)     
    Local $tText     
    $tText = DllStructCreate("char Text[4096]")    
    _WinAPI_FormatMessage($FORMAT_MESSAGE_FROM_SYSTEM, 0, $iErrorNum, 0, DllStructGetPtr($tText), 4096, 0)     
    Return DllStructGetData($tText, "Text") 
EndFunc   ;==>_WinAPI_GetErrorMessage

I'm getting this error:

error: _WinAPI_FormatMessage() called with Const or expression on ByRef-param(s).

Thank you,

Docfxit

Edited by Docfxit