TightVNC install Automation

Okay so... I've been working on this for hours and am about ready to rip my hair out, literally >.< So the entire automation of the install works flawlessly until I get to the Tree View which gives me the option to exclude additional software. Basically I need to exclude the TightVNC Viewer and only install the server. The issue I'm running into is that the Tree View granting my the option to 'exclude' the TightVNC Viewer is in it's own Window inside per say of the 'actual' main window and is not recognized by Au3Info. I feel like I've tried nearly every Control command there is. Please see the screenshot: '> As you can see in the image, even when I drag the Finder Tool inside of the window, I only get the details of the WINDOW itself and am not able to highlight the actually TightVNC Viewer dropdown which contains the option to exclude it from the installation. And to make matters worse, I am unable to mimic the effect with keystrokes, the furthest I am able to get is ({"DOWN"}) ({"DOWN"}) to highlight the text next to the dropdown but am unable to activate the actual dropdown unless I physically click on it with my mouse. What am I doing wrong :

• Moderators

Looking at the documentation for TightVNC, the silent install switches allow you to choose every option you would through the install GUI. Is there a reason you are trying to automate the GUI (I assume this is what you're doing, since you didn't post any actual code to look at) instead of controlling the installation silently?

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Looking at the documentation for TightVNC, the silent install switches allow you to choose every option you would through the install GUI. Is there a reason you are trying to automate the GUI (I assume this is what you're doing, since you didn't post any actual code to look at) instead of controlling the installation silently?

Wow, I didn't even think to look through the TightVNC documentation for that. (Sorry I'm new to IT and have been working HelpDesk for about a year) My goal is to impress my boss and make a simple program that automates installations for new machines in which we are provisioning and TightVNC is what we use for our remote software along with other applications that I would like to include as well. I have all of the .msi's that I'm attempting to automate on a Public Network share and just execute them with Run ('msiexec /i serversharepathtightvnc-setup.msi')

• Moderators

I would say that if you are beginning with MSIs for your installs your work is already half done. Do some googling for "msi installer access public properties" and you'll find that you can set almost any feature you see in the GUI through the command line of a decently-compiled MSI.

Your boss can't help but be impressed when you show him a script that installs everything you need done, silently in the background, allowing you to perform other tasks at the same time (productivity increase).

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

I would say that if you are beginning with MSIs for your installs your work is already half done. Do some googling for "msi installer access public properties" and you'll find that you can set almost any feature you see in the GUI through the command line of a decently-compiled MSI.

Your boss can't help but be impressed when you show him a script that installs everything you need done, silently in the background, allowing you to perform other tasks at the same time (productivity increase).

Awesome! I'll look through VNC's documentation and let you know how it goes!

So after looking through TightVNC's documentation, I have found the full switch. The question is, would be be more realistic to run it directly from AutoIT or to place it in a .bat file and then have AutoIT execute the .bat

Thanks

msiexec.exe /i tightvnc-2.5.2-setup-64bit.msi /quiet /norestart
SET_USEVNCAUTHENTICATION=1
VALUE_OF_USEVNCAUTHENTICATION=1
SET_PASSWORD=1
VALUE_OF_PASSWORD=
mainpass
SET_VIEWONLYPASSWORD=1
VALUE_OF_VIEWONLYPASSWORD=
viewpass
SET_USECONTROLAUTHENTICATION=1
VALUE_OF_USECONTROLAUTHENTICATION=1
SET_CONTROLPASSWORD=1
VALUE_OF_CONTROLPASSWORD=
admpas
s

You can usually use a program like InstaEd to modify the MSI file directly to include all the flags, or create a transform file.  Then you can just run the MSI or invoke the transform file. 

Can you point me in a direction where I could do some research on this 'InstaEd' file? I would really like to try this. As I explained in the post above, I'm only 20yo and have been working HelpDesk for under a year soooo I'm slightly new to all this :)

• Moderators

The purpose of a transform file is the ability it gives you to alter your installation scenarios (e.g. install base application for all employees but base app + manager's console for supervisors). If that is not what you'll need, I would not bother with cracking open the MSI. If you have found the properties you need to set, I would do something along these lines (test thoroughly on your test system, of course):

ShellExecuteWait("msiexec.exe", "/i tightvnc-2.5.2-setup.64bit.msi SET_USEVNCAUTHENTICATION = 1 VALUE_OF_USEVNCAUTHENTICATION = 1 <etc. etc. etc.> /qn /norestart")