_IECreatePseudoEmbedded - Should I Use

Go to solution Solved by DaleHohm,

I've been using the amazing _IE.UDF for a few months, and have gone through 3 overhauls of a web server monitoring script that I created.  As I continue to battle a few recurring and frustrating problems, I constantly see reference to the "Embedded" options.  I would like to understand why the embedding seems to be so popular, but there really aren't any explanations that I can find about why you would use it over automating a normal IE window. There does seem to be some fundamental differences from _IECreate in the extra IE processes that normally get generated, and PID and window "handling" difficulties that follow (which is one of my challenges).  Also it looks like it might be a path to overcome the orphaned IE processes that my script leaves behind (maybe 1 out of 100 times it runs). 

Does the _IECreateEmbedded() or _IECreatePseudoEmbedded() offer significant advantages for advanced automation when compared to IECreate()?  If so, can anyone itemize the big ones?

Thanks in advance,

Jerry

• Moderators

It all depends on what you would like to do (which, without seeing your "few recurring and frustrating problems", is difficult to ascertain). I personally use _IECreateEmbedded for a couple of scripts where I want the user to stay where I want them, or provide them with quick-button access to specific sites/portals. See the "Deal-A-Day Sites" link in my signature for one example of what you can use it for.

As I said, though, without knowing more about the problems you're running into, it is difficult to suggest what will or will not work for you.

Edited by JLogan3o13

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Thanks for the response. I can see how controlling the window position would be easier. That makes sense. 

My biggest problem is the orphaned IE processes that get left behind due to unknown factors.  I can run 100 times manually and get no orphaned processes. But, when it's triggered by a system service, 1000 times over a few days, there will be dozen IE processes. 

My second biggest problem was getting a reliable handle to the IE Processes that get spawned so that I can reliably close them (trying to solve the former).  However, the multi-process design of IE makes this virtually impossible (I suppose intentionally to fight malware). Perhaps the PID's and windows work differently when using the embedded options?

Hmm, post script?

Snips & Scripts

My Snips: graphCPUTemp ~ getENVvars
My Scripts: Short-Order Encrypter - message and file encryption V1.6.1 ~ AuPad - Notepad written entirely in AutoIt V1.9.4

Feel free to use any of my code for your own use.                                                                                                                                                           Forum FAQ

• Solution

Use embedded when you want to wrap a browser instance inside your own UI and controls.  Otherwise, much simpler to simply use the full browser.

Regarding orphaned processes... make sure that _IEQuit() is called before script exit - normal or abnormal.

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

Thanks for the responses.  I would very much like to post the script, but I'm not at liberty to because it's considered Intellectual Property where I work. I've sent messages to some of the _IE Guru's on this forum regarding professional consulting, as I think that's my only acceptable avenue for getting hands-on assistance.  No responses yet but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. 

Regards,
Jerry

no problem redrider81, just seeing if we could have a look :)

Snips & Scripts

My Snips: graphCPUTemp ~ getENVvars
My Scripts: Short-Order Encrypter - message and file encryption V1.6.1 ~ AuPad - Notepad written entirely in AutoIt V1.9.4

Feel free to use any of my code for your own use.                                                                                                                                                           Forum FAQ