MSIEXEC and RUN / RUNWAIT

Kovacic

Go to solution Solved by JLogan3o13,

Hi all, im having trouble with installs.. this worked for over a year and just out of nowhere, I'm having problems. 

I cant provide all my code because the program is close to 50k lines and it most likely wont work in your environment.. but here's what I got..

[ this is only an example of what i tried]

$ProcIDF = Runwait("msiexec /i C:\Trend\IdfClient.msi")
ProcessWaitClose($ProcIDF)
ProcessWaitClose("msiexec.exe")
; Install the next MSIEXEC

What keeps happening is, after the first MSI runs, it runs for a bit, then starts the next MSI, and I get an error saying there is already an installation in progress. Winwait works for most other installs, but MSIEXEC will sometimes kick off a sub process, then close itself. This causes windows to fail any other installs, because something is still installing, even though MSIEXEC is gone..

Is there a better way to monitor all processes and sub processes spawned by the original install, and proceed only after all processes have completed?

Either that, or monitor windows to see if an install is currently in progress..

Any help is appreciated! Thanks! 

C0d3 is P0etry( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RunWait('msiexec.exe /x "' & @HomeDrive & '\Trend\IdfClient.msi"')

it is enough because RunWait command is already waiting close "IdfClient.msi"

Normally this is true, but for some reason, even after the program called in runwait seems to finish and it moved to the next line, the next runwait gets stopped because the previous install claled by the previous runwait is still going.. this only happens with .msi installs though. 

Normally this is true, but for some reason, even after the program called in runwait seems to finish and it moved to the next line, the next runwait gets stopped because the previous install claled by the previous runwait is still going.. this only happens with .msi installs though. 

do you want make silent install this .msi?

• Moderators

Do you see any difference if you use ShellExecuteWait? That is usually my preference over Run or RunWait when doing an install.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

do you want make silent install this .msi?

Yeah, also on a side note, it looks like all other programs install without a problem, just trend is an issue.

I found a post of mine in the Trend forums from back in April that was never answered.

Do you see any difference if you use ShellExecuteWait? That is usually my preference over Run or RunWait when doing an install.

I gave it a shot with this code:

Global $Steelhead = "msiexec /i ""\\MyShare\SteelheadMobile_64.msi"" /norestart"
ShellExecuteWait($Steelhead)

{share names have been changed to protect the innocent} :)

I got an error that said ' Windows cannot find "msiexec /i ""MyShareSteelheadMobile_64.msi". please make sure you typed the name correctly..."

However, the .exe before it installed without issue.

• Moderators
  • Solution

What happens if you write it out rather than trying it from a variable?

ShellExecuteWait('msiexec.exe', '/i <params>')

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

@MBALZESHARI

I have something similar I made, its made for mass installing on a room full of machines.. 

I cant release it because of who I built it for, but I might be able to eventually join in that project if you are interested.

post-63131-0-37944100-1409767699_thumb.p

@MBALZESHARI

I have something similar I made, its made for mass installing on a room full of machines.. 

I cant release it because of who I built it for, but I might be able to eventually join in that project if you are interested.

ScreenShot107.png

Mine works for the most part however it has need of improvement as well as fleshing out the additional functionality I had in mind.