Disable saving of script before syntax check?

HighGuy

Hi,

whenever you check the syntax of a script in SciTe the file will first be saved, whether you changed something or not. I don't like this behavior because it changes modification time of the source file and I'm not able to determine the time when I changed it last. Would be find to have it ask if you want to save it or not (command.save.before=0 in au3.properties). What's your opinion?

BTW: Whenever I made a change in my scripts I use CTRL-S to immediately save it. Thus, I don't need this "feature" anyway.

Within Options -> Open User Options File. Add the command changes there. This file is saved in your UserProfile directory as SciteUser.properties and overrules the au3.properties. I believe this is what you want?

I wasn't sure if this is only for SciTe-properties and not for AutoIt, so I didn't try ;). But you're right. It works that way. So if the majority of the community is satisfied with the current behavior I will use this solution.

Thanks!

• Developers

Putting command.save.before=0 will trigger a Save msgbox everytime you run AU3Check.

I do not like that behavior, because it makes sence to me that you run AU3check when you made changes to the Script and you want to ensure that the script is saved or else the wrong input is used for AU3Check.

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

I do not like that behavior, because it makes sence to me that you run AU3check when you made changes to the Script and you want to ensure that the script is saved or else the wrong input is used for AU3Check.

I know what you mean, but unfortunately you cannot configure SciTe to only save the script if you really have changed something. That would be the best solution ;).

• Developers

I know what you mean, but unfortunately you cannot configure SciTe to only save the script if you really have changed something. That would be the best solution ;).

Fully agree and it should be doable since the "change" status of the file is known ... but this is the way it is at the moment so prefer leaving it the way it currently is.... Edited by JdeB

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

I wasn't sure if this is only for SciTe-properties and not for AutoIt, so I didn't try ;). But you're right. It works that way. So if the majority of the community is satisfied with the current behavior I will use this solution.

Thanks!

User properties is for your own personal alterations to Scite. I have alot of my own settings in there.

I agree with JdeB that I prefer the changes in the buffer to be saved before checking, as ignoring buffer changes gives false sense of security on the check.

I understand the modification times can tell you of changes done to a file. But I think it is a personal discision for you as most probably do not worry about it. I strongly like to see a creation time on files untouched, so I know when it was made. If you want some kind of version control with your scripts, then you could try something like TortoiseCVS. That may help to keep track of your scripts.

• Developers

If you want some kind of version control with your scripts, then you could try something like TortoiseCVS. That may help to keep track of your scripts.

I use TortoiseCVS together with WinMerge to do versioning with all Scripts I make and UDF lib so you can easily keep track of "What is updated when" .... ;)

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.