Using ping to define a global variable

Go to solution Solved by jguinch,

I have 5 global variables:

Global $IPAddress1 = "192.168.1.37"
Global $IPAddress2 = "192.168.1.40"
Global $IPAddress3 = "192.168.1.41"
Global $IPAddress4 = "192.168.1.47"
Global $IPAddress5 = "192.168.1.50"

Lets say I ping all the ip addresses and ip address 4 doesn't respond (it went offline). How do I make IP address 5 (192.168.1.50) be redefined as IP address 4 and have ip address 5 be nothing? Same thing for ip addresses 1-5. If I ping an ip address and it doesn't respond then I want the ip address to be removed as a global variable.

Get Scite to add a popup when you use a 3rd party UDF -> http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/scite/docs/SciTE4AutoIt3/user-calltip-manager.html

You can blank out a variable, you can't undeclare one though. If it is a local variable inside a function, the variable goes away once the function ends, if it's a global variable (any variable declared outside of a function), it is always going to exist.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Global $NumberOfMachines = 5

Global $IPArray[$NumberOfMachines] = [$IPAddress1, $IPAddress2, $IPAddress3, $IPAddress4, $IPAddress5]

This comes next and I have around 20 functions that use these variables. Maybe I could just write an array and remake the array every script loop where if the ping works then that ip address makes it into the array and I can change every function in my script to read from the global array instead of referencing  $IPAddress1 $IPAddress2 etc. No suggestions?

Get Scite to add a popup when you use a 3rd party UDF -> http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/scite/docs/SciTE4AutoIt3/user-calltip-manager.html

• Solution

Why not an array ?

#Include <Array.au3>

Global $NumberOfMachines = 5
Global $aIP[$NumberOfMachines + 1] = [ $NumberOfMachines, "192.168.1.37", "192.168.1.40", "192.168.1.41", "192.168.1.47", "192.168.1.50" ]
_ArrayDisplay($aIP, "Before")

$iIndex = 1
For $i = 1 To $aIP[0]
    If Ping($aIP[$i], 250) Then
        $aIP[$iIndex] = $aIP[$i]
        $iIndex += 1
    EndIf
Next

Redim $aIP[$iIndex]
$aIP[0] = $iIndex - 1

_ArrayDisplay($aIP, "After")
Edited by jguinch

Global $NumberOfMachines
Global $IPAddress1 = "192.168.1.37";108"
Global $IPAddress2 = "192.168.1.40";104"
Global $IPAddress3 = "192.168.1.41";114"
Global $IPAddress4 = "192.168.1.47";117"
Global $IPArray[] = [UBound($IPArray) - 1, $IPAddress1, $IPAddress2, $IPAddress3, $IPAddress4];,"192.168.1.42"]
$NumberOfMachines = $IPArray[0]
Global $aArray[] = [Ubound($aArray) -1];Array generated by ping
For $i = 1 To $NumberOfMachines
    $Ptemp = Ping($IPArray[$i],250)
    $Count = Ubound($aArray) - 1
    If $Ptemp >0 Then
        $aArray[$Count] = $Ptemp
    EndIf
Next

The above is what I have so far - untested mostly. None of this is in my main while loop but I want the program to ping each machine every time the program loops. I have a while loop directly under this and under that I have several functions. I was under the impression that a global variable couldn't be changed from within a user defined function but I am thinking now that I am wrong on that point.

Edited by computergroove

#include <Array.au3>
#include <File.au3>
#include <FileConstants.au3>
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>
#include <Date.au3>
#include <OCR.au3>
;*****************************************************Change for new setups*****************************
Global $IPArray [] = [$IPAddress1, $IPAddress2, $IPAddress3, $IPAddress4];,"192.168.1.42"]
Global $NumberOfMachines = Ubound($IPArray)
Global $aArray[0];Array generated by ping

;*****************************************************End of Change*************************************

GetIPArray()

Func GetIPArray();make an array and eliminate dead machines
    For $i = 0 To 3
        $Ptemp = Ping($IPArray[$i],500)
        If $Ptemp >0 Then
            $Count = Ubound($aArray) - 1
            _ArrayAdd($aArray,$IPArray[$i])
        EndIf
    Next
    _ArrayDisplay($aArray)
EndFunc

I'm getting weird results in my array. With the current code I see:

[0] 192.168.1.37

[1] 192.168.1.40

and that's it. I need to see all of the ip addresses that are pinging fine. I tested the ping from a command prompt and they are all pinging with a ping faster than 250 ms. What am I doing wrong?

what happens with this:

removed timeout parameter from ping command

added error report on consele  on ping failure

#include <Array.au3>
#include <File.au3>
#include <FileConstants.au3>
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>
#include <Date.au3>
#include <OCR.au3>
;*****************************************************Change for new setups*****************************
Global $IPArray[] = [$IPAddress1, $IPAddress2, $IPAddress3, $IPAddress4];,"192.168.1.42"]
Global $NumberOfMachines = UBound($IPArray)
Global $aArray[0];Array generated by ping

;*****************************************************End of Change*************************************

GetIPArray()

Func GetIPArray();make an array and eliminate dead machines
    Local $error
    For $i = 0 To 3
        If Ping($IPArray[$i]) Then
            _ArrayAdd($aArray, $IPArray[$i])
        Else
            $error = @error
            ConsoleWrite($IPArray[$i] & " error -> " & $error & @CRLF)
        EndIf
    Next
    _ArrayDisplay($aArray)
EndFunc   ;==>GetIPArray
Edited by Chimp

image.jpeg.9f1a974c98e9f77d824b358729b089b0.jpeg Chimp

small minds discuss people average minds discuss events great minds discuss ideas.... and use AutoIt....