upgrading to newest version of AutoIT questions

RickB75

Guys,

I'm curious as to what most of you guys do when you upgrade your version of Autoit to a newer version. My situation here is I got a new computer here at work with windows 7 Pro on it (hey... it's an upgrade from XP so I'll take it :)  ). I have numerous scripts built with Autoit version 3.3.8.0 which has done great for me and I want to keep up with the times but I'm noticing I'm having to edit these scripts like crazy. An example is, I use Excel.au3 a lot. I copied the include file from the older version and built an additional include folder for the new version of Autoit and named it Excel2.au3. It opens and writes perfectly but when it comes time to save the file, It doesn't save the file. It disappears. I knew going into this there was going to be some changing but I didn't realize it would be this much.  

Do you guys have any advice on how to make this an easier transition to the newer version of Autoit???

I was just curious how you guys handle your transitions during an upgrade.

Read through the change log from 3.3.8.0.

Each function you see what has changed, make a note of them all, search it in your scripts and make the changes, if any needed.

Do this after backing up all of your scripts somewhere.

Upgrade version run scripts on test material, until you have all kinks worked ot.

Don't forget, you're computer will probably not explode, and you can always revert back to 3.3.8.0 with backed up scripts if it all goes tit's up. Plus the wonderful AutoIt gang will help you out if you get into difficulty.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

I'm currently running 3.3.8.1 and 3.3.12.0 in parallel.  I have 3.3.8.1 installed, with the latest SciTE4AutoIt3, but I have the AutoIt 3.3.12.0 ZIP file extracted a "3.3.12.0" directory in the AutoIt3 directory.  I have a large number of very complex scripts that I have wrote with 3.3.8.1, and haven't had the time to check their compatibility with 3.3.12.0.  This allows me to work with the old version with old scripts, and write new scripts with the new version.  For all the script that are created for 3.3.12.0, I include the following at the top of the scripts.  

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Autoit3Dir=C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\3.3.12.0                     ;Optionally override the AutoIt3 install directory to use.
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Icon=C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\3.3.12.0\Aut2Exe\Icons\AutoIt_Main_v10_256x256_RGB-A.ico

Adam

Do you guys have any advice on how to make this an easier transition to the newer version of Autoit???

There is a script breaking changes page in the help file for the changes in the Excel, Word and Array UDF.

The Excel page in the wiki is a good starting point as well (though still work in progress).

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Thanks guys for your replys. I think I will give your solution a try Adam and install both versions on the new PC. I know this is going to be time consuming and aggravating but I know it has to be done. It just sucks LOL...   The Excel and Array UDF's are the two I use more than any others. Anyway... Let me get to work. Once again, Thanks for the pointers and advice. 

Your welcome, glad I could help.  I'll let you know that after you start using the the new version of the Excel UDF, you will not want to go back.  I love being able to have a script work with multiple workbooks.  It's worth the change.  If found myself using more COM properties and methods directly with new UDF.  Here is a link to the COM reference, if you need it.  

Adam