Any way to link a pre-process into compile sequence?

qwert

I use a small script to gather some "stats" about a script once I feel the script is completed ... like an inventory of the standard variables that it uses.

SciTE has options for the two common utilities:

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Run_Tidy=y
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Run_Au3Stripper=y

Does anyone know how I might link my pre-process script into the sequence?  I'm not talking about an SciTE tab panel or anything formal ... just a way to automatically execute it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Moderators

qwert,

This should be what you are looking for: :)

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Run_Before= ;process to run before compilation - multiple records will be processed in sequence

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

You thinking of PreExpand? ;)

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Hmmm.

Description: PreExpand expands constant and enum variables in an AutoIt script. The reluctance users have to using constant or enum variables, is because you're using additional variables, sometimes Global. Though in all honesty using constants is a preferred approach for most programmers, as it provides easier to read code and means to debug quicker. It's also a way of eliminating magic numbers.

I didn't know about that program.  But I've read the description and looked at the examples(twice), and I can't determine:

1. Exactly what it does

2. When it should be used

3. How it will benefit me

It looks like it does massive restructuring of source code.  Or have I gotten the wrong impression?

If it does restructure, what are the reasons I would want that done?  I ask because much of the structure of declarations in my scripts is there to help me understand the workings of my own scripts when I look at them months later.

I'm sure I'm missing something, here.  But, if I am, I think others must, also.

And, finally, are you suggesting PreExpand will collect "stats" in ways similar to what I mentioned my script does?  I didn't see that explained anywhere.

Sorry for the many questions.

It's a pre-process that expands constant variables, just like having #define in your script. The beta also replaces macros .e.g @CRLF/@LF with a global variable that has proven to increase the execution of your script (beta only).  It's used before you compile your script, hence why it's called a pre-processor.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

It's a pre-process that expands constant variables, just like having #define in your script.

"expands constants"? ... "like #define"?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with those terms.  And I don't see #define in the help index.  Is it new?

Could you elaborate on the benefits of them?

... also replaces macros .e.g @CRLF/@LF with a global variable that has proven to increase the execution of your script ...

That one, I understand.  Also, that it's a preprocess.

#define is a macro found in C++ and C, not AutoIt. Perhaps try it before asking more questions, is that OK?

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

I dunno how I can explain it any better than...

Description: PreExpand expands constant and enum variables in an AutoIt script. The reluctance users have to using constant or enum variables, is because you're using additional variables, sometimes Global. Though in all honesty using constants is a preferred approach for most programmers, as it provides easier to read code and means to debug quicker. It's also a way of eliminating magic numbers.

My only guess qwert is you've never done this before...

Global Const $sMyName = "guinness"
Edited by guinness

UDF List:

#define is a macro found in C++ and C, not AutoIt. Perhaps try it before asking more questions, is that OK?

Honestly, you've lost me with that statement.  I'm feeling a little dense about this at the moment ... adrift in a sea of terms, without any reference point to guide me.  But, hey, I've been here before.  I'll survive and eventually "get it".

But there's one point I'd really like to understand before I move on:

PreExpand expands constant and enum variables in an AutoIt script.

What is the benefit of expanding? ... constants, in particular.

I usually declare all my constants and variables at the top of my script ... in the same Global Const format you've shown.  This is the point I couldn't get from looking at the examples.

Thanks for responding to my questions.

• Moderators

qwert,

Let me try and clear some of the fog. :)

The normal coding practice with constants is to define them at the top of the script (often in an include file) and use the constant name within the script to aid readability. This is to prevent the use of "magic numbers - which would you rather see?

Switch GUIGetMsg()
    Case $EVENT_CLOSE

Switch GUIGetMsg()
    Case -3
That is just a simple case - imagine trying to decipher a whole slew of these seemingly random integers some months later! :(

But using the names forces AutoIt to lookup the value of the constant each time it comes across it - which slows down your script. What PreExpand does (amongst other things) is to replace all those constant names with the appropriate value. Now your basic script still retains the names for readability, while you can compile a script which will run faster because the values are predetermined.

Does that make sense? :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

Does that make sense?

Bing!

using the names forces AutoIt to lookup the value of the constant each time it comes across it

That, I didn't know.  I figured it was somehow caching/replacing/optimizing them at runtime (find once, use many).

So the phrase "expands constants" means "replace them with their numeric values ... to eliminate the lookup steps at runtime".  It was the word expand that threw me.

Got it!  (Yes?)

Edited by qwert

• Moderators

qwert,

Delighted I could help. :)

M23

Spoiler

PreReplace isn't a catchy name. My usage of expand is correct, as the term is used when describing #define for the likes of the C++ directive.

UDF List:

Just for fun, if you wanted to do something different and generate random magic numbers, I recommend trying >ORSplit and XORSplit. Although I do think the functions have somewhat limited usage. Maybe there are uses I haven't thought of.

Edited by czardas