Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Synix

Children don't know about their parents

5 posts in this topic

Sorry for that topic title :P I have a question and didn't know a title that suits.

I'm using a function to find all child GUIs of my main GUI and noticed that some wouldn't get captured. On GUIs that have neither the style $WS_POPUP, nor $WS_CHILD set, the "parent" parameter won't do anything.

I thought when passing a valid handle as the parent parameter, this should always work. Here's a quick example:

#include <WinAPI.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

$hParent = GUICreate("Parent")
$hChild1 = GUICreate("Child1", 125, 50, -1, -1, -1, -1, $hParent) ;default (-1) includes $WS_POPUP
$hChild2 = GUICreate("Child2", 125, 50, -1, -1, $WS_CHILD, -1, $hParent)
$hChild3 = GUICreate("Child3", 125, 50, -1, -1, 0, -1, $hParent)
$hChild4 = GUICreate("Child4", 125, 50, -1, -1, BitOR($WS_CAPTION, $WS_SYSMENU), -1, $hParent)

MsgBox(0, "", _
"Parent of $hChild1: " & _WinAPI_GetParent($hChild1) & @CRLF & _
"Parent of $hChild2: " & _WinAPI_GetParent($hChild2) & @CRLF & _
"Parent of $hChild3: " & _WinAPI_GetParent($hChild3) & @CRLF & _
"Parent of $hChild4: " & _WinAPI_GetParent($hChild4))

I'd understand if you explicitly needed $WS_CHILD as a style for a child window, but since $WS_POPUP also works I am wondering why you can't set the parent for other styled windows. Is this an expected behavior? I couldn't find any information about this.

The thing is, I have one main GUI that I want to set as parent for my other GUIs (settings, information window etc.). Using GUISetState() or WinSetState() to hide my main GUI, child windows automatically disappear, but I use a different method.

I use the hide and slide option of _WinAPI_WinAnimate() to "minimize" the main window to tray, but in this case the child GUIs stay visible. To hide visible child GUIs I search for them via WinList() and _WinAPI_GetParent(). Then I hide them manually.

So I noticed that GUIs won't have a parent when missing the $WS_POPUP or $WS_CHILD style. And I just want to understand if this is normal. If so, a remark in the documentation would be nice.

#5 ·  Posted (edited)

I don't exactly understand because English is not my native language. My example code above was written especially for this thread to show the problem. The code I use would've been too distracting to clearly show the issue.

This uses two of my functions and shows the "problem" especially in my case:

#include <WinAPI.au3>
#include <WinAPISys.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

$hParent = GUICreate("Parent", -1, -1, -1, -1, $WS_POPUP)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
$hChild1 = GUICreate("Child1", 150, 50, -1,  @DesktopHeight/2.7, -1, -1, $hParent) ;default (-1) includes $WS_POPUP
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
$hChild2 = GUICreate("Child2", 125, 50, 0, 0, BitOR($WS_CHILD, $WS_CAPTION), -1, $hParent)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
$hChild3 = GUICreate("Child3", 125, 50, -1, @DesktopHeight/2.2, 0, -1, $hParent)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
$hChild4 = GUICreate("Child4", 125, 50, -1, @DesktopHeight/1.9, BitOR($WS_CAPTION, $WS_SYSMENU), -1, $hParent)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

Sleep(2500)
$aChildren = _WinListChildWindows($hParent)
_WinArrayHide($aChildren)
_WinAPI_AnimateWindow($hParent, BitOR($AW_HIDE, $AW_SLIDE, $AW_HOR_POSITIVE, $AW_VER_POSITIVE), 200)
MsgBox(0, "", "All child windows successfully hidden.")
Sleep(2500)

Func _WinListChildWindows($hWnd)
    ;returns an array of child windows for the given parent window
    Local $aRet[0][0], $aWinList

$aWinList = WinList()
    For $i = 1 To UBound($aWinList) - 1
        If $aWinList[$i][1] <> $hWnd And _WinAPI_GetParent($aWinList[$i][1]) = $hWnd Then
            $iPrevSize = UBound($aRet, $UBOUND_ROWS)
            ReDim $aRet[$iPrevSize+1][2]
            $aRet[$iPrevSize][0] = $aWinList[$i][1]
            $aRet[$iPrevSize][1] = _WinAPI_IsWindowVisible($aWinList[$i][1])
        EndIf
    Next

Return $aRet
EndFunc

Func _WinArrayHide(ByRef $aArray)
    ;hides an array of windows
    If UBound($aArray, $UBOUND_COLUMNS) < 2 Then Return SetError(1)
    For $i = 0 To UBound($aArray) - 1
        If $aArray[$i][1] = 1 Then
            ;fast method [no need for Opt("WinWaitDelay", 0)]
            _WinAPI_ShowWindow($aArray[$i][0], @SW_HIDE)
        EndIf
    Next
EndFunc

As you will see, all child windows get successfully hidden, but child 3 and 4 still show up, since they have no parent, because of the missing style.

So is this now an expected behavior or should the $hParent parameter work regardless of what style the child window has set?

Edited by Synix