AU3record will not record text into a browser

Rocker

I am new to SciTE and AU3record, I am not a developer, but could use this great tool for software testing if I can get it up and running.  I believe I have it loaded correctly and some tasks work as advertised.  I can use AU3record to move the mouse across the screen, open word, Excel and notepad and additionally can type text and numbers into all of them, I can't however type anything into the search bar of Internet Explorer.  I can type into the URL block at the top but not into the search bar.  Our companys software has integrated KVM for virtualization and I am not able to input text in those windows either.  I have been reading the forums and have not come across anything on this topic, please point me in the right direction or let me know what I am doing wrong.  Thanks.

Welcome to the AutoIt forum! :D

Posting your script that you have tried for your IE problem will help us figure out what you are doing right or wrong.

Also, to help with getting the handle/title/class from the windows and inputting text into the controls you can use this tool to help. Link the Program is found in "Program FilesAutoIt3Au3Info.exe".

Posting your script for the KVM would be a good idea as well :)

Snips & Scripts

My Snips: graphCPUTemp ~ getENVvars
My Scripts: Short-Order Encrypter - message and file encryption V1.6.1 ~ AuPad - Notepad written entirely in AutoIt V1.9.4

Feel free to use any of my code for your own use.                                                                                                                                                           Forum FAQ

Also,

Have a look at this for the searching:

_IEFormElementSetValue()

Snips & Scripts

My Snips: graphCPUTemp ~ getENVvars
My Scripts: Short-Order Encrypter - message and file encryption V1.6.1 ~ AuPad - Notepad written entirely in AutoIt V1.9.4

Feel free to use any of my code for your own use.                                                                                                                                                           Forum FAQ

First of all, wow, I'm knocked out by the quick reply from multiple members, I didn't expect that!

Second of all, I reiterate I am not a programmer, but I did get this test script to work, primitive to you guys, I'm sure there are better ways to do it.

I notice that in all the AU3record generated scripts the first 23 lines are all identical, so I omitted them. 

This is what AU3Record writes for a script when I point, click, type etc. minus the 23 lines. (this doesn't work)

_AU3RecordSetup()
#endregion --- Internal functions Au3Recorder End ---

_WinWaitActivate("classname=Shell_TrayWnd","")
MouseClick("left",26,17,1)
_WinWaitActivate("Start menu","")
Send("iexplore.exe{ENTER}")
#endregion --- Au3Recorder generated code End ---

After looking at other code in your forums etc. I modified the AU3record script and created the below script - It goes to the start menu, types "iexplore.exe" into the search bar, opens IE, pauses, and does a simple search for the work "Dog" and that's it, but it does work.

_AU3RecordSetup()
#endregion --- Internal functions Au3Recorder End ---

_WinWaitActivate("Start menu","All Programs")
MouseClick("left",32,494,1)
Send("iexplore.exe{ENTER}")
Sleep(10000)
Send("Dog{ENTER}")
#endregion --- Au3Recorder generated code End ---

Having said all this, I didn't have to change focus to another window, I only used the current active window.  This also worked in our company's software, in a VM session.  I hope to learn a lot more about Autoit, it's pretty amazing.

Again, use the IE tools.

second  - do NOT use mouseclick. It is not stable in that if another window has focus, your script breaks. If your system is in screensaver mode, you using it directly at the time of the script....your script breaks.

you get the idea.