What is the best way to look for a keystroke?

lugosi

Go to solution Solved by MikahS,

Within the program that I am writing, I want to check to see if certain keys are pressed, very much like a hotkey. Is it best to use the HotKeySet command, or should I use some different method for waiting for the keypress? The thing that I dont like about HotKeySet (it isn't an intense dislike, just a nagging niggle) is that it 'hijacks' that key for the entire run of the program (just like a good hotkey should!) even if my program is not the program in focus at the time.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

• Solution

I don't like _IsPressed. I just used this in my app, and I did not like it as it will not work once a key has already been pressed. Very crude, but using Accelerators is they way to go:

Local $aAccelKeys[1][1] = [["{TAB}", $exTab]]
GUISetAccelerators($aAccelKeys, $hwnd)
; example
While 1
    $msg = GUIGetMsg()
    Switch $msg
        Case $exTab
            ; run whatever you want here
    EndSwitch
WEnd
Edited by MikahS

Snips & Scripts

My Snips: graphCPUTemp ~ getENVvars
My Scripts: Short-Order Encrypter - message and file encryption V1.6.1 ~ AuPad - Notepad written entirely in AutoIt V1.9.4

Feel free to use any of my code for your own use.                                                                                                                                                           Forum FAQ

• Moderators

Lugosi,

Or GUISetAccelerators - they are like HotKeys but are only active when you GUI has focus so they should not "niggle". :D

Could I also point you at this announcement - not suggesting your intent is to create a keylogger, but just to make our stance on such matters quite clear. ;)

M23

Edit: I see I am getting slower as I age. :(

Edited by Melba23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Melba, your knowledge is much greater though ;)

Snips & Scripts

My Scripts: Short-Order Encrypter - message and file encryption V1.6.1 ~ AuPad - Notepad written entirely in AutoIt V1.9.4

Feel free to use any of my code for your own use.                                                                                                                                                           Forum FAQ

I can assure you that this is not for a keylogger of any kind. I am creating a program to update/change the OEM configuration information on a PC for my company. We want to be able to brand our computers with our logo and information. I have created quite a nice program if I might say so :) This is my first real foray  into AutoIT programming (and the first programming that I have done in MANY years, not that I was ever a great programmer to begin with.....it is a hobby to me).

Thank you for all of the advice.....esp. that about the keylogger stuff! I gotta be careful how I phrase things so as not to be banished :o

I just replaced hotkeys with accelerators, and it worked like a charm :)

Glad to help ;)

Snips & Scripts