How to start external executable with "Run" syntax but do not show it on task bar?

altex

Go to solution Solved by Jos,

Hello guys,

I'm writing a script (say myscript.au3) to open up and run multiple copies of an external program (say abc.exe).

As the title suggested, how can I make abc.exe started with"run" function but not show it in the task bar? Using @sw_hide or @sw_minimized is not helpful.

Then I would like to take one step further, to hide abc.exe in the task manager and reflect all CPU and Memory resources consumed by abc.exe under the name of " myscript.exe"

Just be clear, this is not for a virus or whatever that has bad intention.

Thanks.

• Moderators

altex,

this is not for a virus or whatever that has bad intention

So why do you want to do it? :huh:

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

As I do not want to see there are multiple entries "abc.exe" in the task manager, in other  words, to make the "processes list" in the task manager tidy.

Assuming it's for a virus or whatever similar, why would I bother monitoring the CPU and Memory resources consumed? 

it makes me feel uncomfortable when you people assume I'm making a virus without having proof.

Do you seriously think true hackers will post threads and ask question like this in this place?

Besides, have faith with anti-virus softwares, do you think guys like me, who don't even know how to hide the GUI, is capable of bypassing the anti-virus softwares?

Edited by altex

• Developers

It is simply wrong to have faith in AV sofware and the uncomfortable feeling is mutual... Hence this discussion... And you arent even trying to do anything about it. Guess we are getting close to locking this thread.

Jos

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

I tried, as I said in original thread, @sw_hide and @sw_minimized didn't work as the external program would run and appear for 500ms- 1s until autoit can get the handle of it and hide/minimize the GUI.

Ok, lock the thread or whatever you want to do, I'll figure out myself.

Just be clear I let you lock the thread doesn't imply I admit I'm making a virus or things similar. The only reason is that once you saw the question, you immediately concluded I'm doing evil things and this makes me feel uncomfortable. This is discrimination, you know, to some extent. It is not good to presume people are doing bad things when you are lack of evidence. 

For the record, I already explained the purpose of doing this in #3. If I don't do it this way, users will find 10+ processes called abc.exe in the task manager and that makes my script more like a malicious software.

Edited by altex

• Developers

I have not made any conclusion as yet or else your ass would have been banned and thread locked.

We simply ask you the purpose for this and it is you that brought up the " not a virus" topic.

I dont see the issue with seeing multiple instances of abc when they are actually running.

Jos

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers
  • Solution

You said, "it is clear you are not telling the whole story. ". The truth is I already told you everything. Would you like to help me if I tell you in detail the whole project in private, e.g via PM?

I had to read this twice but can only conclude that my statement was valid when you want to tell me about your project via pm only. ;)

It is fine when you send me a better explanation via pm after which i will let the forum know when it is ok.

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Not a problem anymore, I solve it already. thanks.

It maybe disappoint you, but I have to say your statement is invalid and there are many reasons I can't reveal the whole project in public. For example. it's commercial project, or for example, I have concerns that others may plagiarize my idea if I talk too much here. 

Believe it or not, the only thing I can assure you is that I'm doing for good purpose and thanks for your help.

Edited by altex