Internet Explorer Options Automation

Go to solution Solved by pcjunki,

So here is the situation:

At my work I need to set multiple computers to the checkbox "Delete browsing history on exit" while searching for a way to quickly launch IE and move to tools to do this, I found that IE does not like to receive the ALT key.

SO I guess my question is: Can someone point me in a direction to get IE to receive the ALT key?  I'm sure it is really simple, but I haven't been able to find much on the forums about it.

Oh and Hello! I'm happy to finally join! :sweating:

How are you sending the ALT key? Using Send?

Snips & Scripts

My Snips: graphCPUTemp ~ getENVvars
My Scripts: Short-Order Encrypter - message and file encryption V1.6.1 ~ AuPad - Notepad written entirely in AutoIt V1.9.4

Feel free to use any of my code for your own use.                                                                                                                                                           Forum FAQ

Well I have tried both WInactive, then send and ControlSend however it seems to be finicky. I have gotten it to work once or twice but it did not seem consistent enough.

#include <IE.au3>
_IECreate("www.urbanelectricco.com")
WinWait("The Urban Electric Company - Internet Explorer")
Sleep(500)
ControlSend("The Urban Electric Company - Internet Explorer","","","!")

• Moderators

If you are doing this for multiple computers, why not do it via GPO? Then you don't have to run it as new machines come on the network.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

I don't think they are set up for that? I am not any type of administrator for our network, I just happen to be the guy that knows the most about windows 8, and can occasionally fix the problem. As far as I know all of the 30+ computer function just like a standalone computer at home.

Edited by randominetdude

Are all these computers on a domain? This can easily be checked in advanced system settings by right clicking and going to preferences on My Computer.

Snips & Scripts

My Scripts: Short-Order Encrypter - message and file encryption V1.6.1 ~ AuPad - Notepad written entirely in AutoIt V1.9.4

Feel free to use any of my code for your own use.                                                                                                                                                           Forum FAQ

Have you tried using _IEAction()?

Snips & Scripts

This seems to work on Win 7, IE11:

Switch @OSArch 
    Case "X86"
        RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Privacy", "ClearBrowsingHistoryOnExit", "REG_DWORD", "1")
    Case "X64"
        RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER64\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Privacy", "ClearBrowsingHistoryOnExit", "REG_DWORD", "1")
EndSwitch

May not work for other versions of IE, try to google registry key. For IE 8 it seems to be HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwarePoliciesMicrosoftInternet ExplorerPrivacy : ClearBrowsingHistoryOnExit

Registry locations of other settings: http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/182569

For example, enabling programmatic clipboard access:

Switch @OSArch ;Enable clipboard
    Case "X86"
        RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3", "1407", "REG_DWORD", "0")
    Case "X64"
        RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER64\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3", "1407", "REG_DWORD", "0")
EndSwitch
Edited by StandardUser

• Solution

here is something I have used in the past.

ShellExecute("C:\Windows\System32\inetcpl.cpl")

sleep(1000)

Send("{ALTDOWN}d{ALTUP}")

sleep(2000)

;sets the preserve favorites website data

ControlCommand("Delete Browsing History", "", "[CLASS:Button; INSTANCE:1]", 
"check")

;sets the temporary internet files

ControlCommand("Delete Browsing History", "", "[CLASS:Button; INSTANCE:2]", 
"check")

;sets the cookies

ControlCommand("Delete Browsing History", "", "[CLASS:Button; INSTANCE:3]", 
"check")

;sets the history

ControlCommand("Delete Browsing History", "", "[CLASS:Button; INSTANCE:4]", 
"check")

;sets the download history

ControlCommand("Delete Browsing History", "", "[CLASS:Button; INSTANCE:5]", 
"check")

;sets the form data

ControlCommand("Delete Browsing History", "", "[CLASS:Button; INSTANCE:6]", 
"check")

;sets the passwords

ControlCommand("Delete Browsing History", "", "[CLASS:Button; INSTANCE:7]", 
"check")

;;sets the activeX filtering and tracking protection data

ControlCommand("Delete Browsing History", "", "[CLASS:Button; INSTANCE:8]", 
"check")

sleep(2000)

Send("{ALTDOWN}d{ALTUP}{ESC}")

Send("{ESC}")
Edited by pcjunki

@pcjunki thanks! this is exactly what I was looking for, I knew there was a way to get to that menu right away but had no idea how to get to it from autoit!

Thank you again!

If you mark his answer on the bottom right of his post as best answer it will make the topic a little easier to navigate for anyone else trying to find a solution to the same problem. ;)

Snips & Scripts