It's been a while, trying to revisit functions as first class objects. I have a question.

Morthawt

I thought that it might be useful to dynamically rebind a variable to a function so the same call to a function could be set to actually use a different function which requires the same parameters. But I recall seeing somewhere on the forum about it's use in HotKeySet but I do not recall what the benefit was of using a variable for a function in the hotkey vs using the name in a string. Could you clarify that and I would like to know other good uses/shortcuts that this $function ability provides.

Thanks.

what the benefit was of using a variable for a function in the hotkey vs using the name in a string.

Trying to give you an answer here since some time has passed. I can't think of any benefit to the above. There might be a slight speed gain but that's really some AutoIt implementation detail and you shouldn't have to worry about it. If you do, the behavior will undoubtedly change.

That said, do you need any examples of how to use first-class functions in context?

I would appreciate it. Currently I use it rarely as a speed thing for example during writing debugging code but that's about it. I would like to make the most of it, if there are other cases where it could be useful/beneficial.

Global $debug = 1, $d = Debug, $debugpathmodifier = ''
If StringMid(@ScriptDir, StringLen(@ScriptDir), 1) <> '\' Then $debugpathmodifier = '\'
If $debug Then FileDelete(@ScriptDir & $debugpathmodifier & 'IDCdebug.txt')

$d('Testing 123')

Func Debug($_input)
    Local Static $_LogEntry
    If $debug Then
        FileWriteLine(@ScriptDir & $debugpathmodifier & 'IDCdebug.txt', $_input)
        ConsoleWrite($_input & @CRLF)
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>Debug
Edited by Morthawt

An example >> . Also check out the AutoIt beta as the Array UDF is using something similar for Min and Max.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018