Controlling Applications on a Remote Machine using RDC

My business has some repetitive tasks that we complete on a daily basis, and I'd like to automate the process to lower the instances of user error and speed up the whole thing.

These are not very complex processes (database project copies, file moves, etc) but take place on machines in a remote location from our workstations.

Our normal process is to access the machine via RDC, then complete the tasks in the remote session.

I've been able to script the activities using MousePosition and MouseClick functions, but that's an extremely breakable process, since it relies on screen size and whatnot for accuracy.

I'd prefer to access the programs directly, but AutoIt WIndow Info doesn't seem to recognize anything on the remote machine, only returning the RDC window itself when I attempt to discern the name of a window on the remote machine.

Is there something I'm missing to select items on the remote box?

Start by reading >this thread.

Doesn't really seem like the same issue, as I'm still within the Windows environment, just remoting from my workstation to a remote machine.

The issue is that I can't interface with the instance of Windows on the remote machine, as AutoIt only seems to recognize the local machine for any Control functions.

RDC windows aren't much more than an interactive movie of the computer you're connected to. There are no controls to be seen by AutoIt because there are no controls. They're on the remote computer, not in the RDC. You might be able to run the script on the remote machine, perhaps using PSExec or something similar to do what you need to do.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

RDC windows aren't much more than an interactive movie of the computer you're connected to. There are no controls to be seen by AutoIt because there are no controls. They're on the remote computer, not in the RDC. You might be able to run the script on the remote machine, perhaps using PSExec or something similar to do what you need to do.

Thanks for the suggestion on that. I'll try out PSExec and see if it helps.

I don't think doing simulated mouse moves and keystrokes will do it for you. You need a script that actually, as you said, "database project copies, file moves, etc". Create the script, compile to a exe and then remote in and run the program to do "These are not very complex processes".

See the "File, Directory and Disk functions Reference" in the help file of AutoIT.