Uninstall String - silent uninstall

So I have an old Hyperion software that appears to use installshield.  As with other installshield apps, I am normally able to record and create a response file for uninstallation.  I cannot in this situation and have tried every switch I can think of to make it silent.  When using the /r switch or any other switch, the only message I get is an InstallShield Wizard popup stating "The wizard cannot continue because of the following error: Invalid command line option: /r is not a valid command line option (1001) (403)"

The file is C:Program FilesHyp2_uninstuninstallClient.exe  (The other files in this folder are uninstall.dat and uninstallClient.jar - may or may not be needed, just noting anyway)

So I moved on to the registry to look for an uninstall string to maybe use.  Alas, at HKLMSoftwareWow6432NodeMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionUninstallHyp2 I see an UninstallString value  "C:Program FilesHyp2_uninstuninstallClient.exe"

I try to silently uninstall from command line using a few switches, and none are accepted. 

So I'm looking around and notice Autoit V3 has a very similar registry value at HKLMSoftwareWow6432NodeMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionUninstallAutoItv3, an UninstallString with the value "C:Program Files (x86)AutoIt3Uninstall.exe"

Hey, there's an idea - maybe I can use the same method of uninstallation since both Autoit and this Hyp product have an UninstallString with just a path and exe value.  

That being said, has anyone done a silent uninstallation of Autoit V3 using that UninstallString?  Or, might anyone have any suggestions?  I would post code but this should just be a one liner and so far nothing has worked. 

You can actually do this via command line (which you can invoke in autoit). You can use wmic and the uninstall command on most programs.

EX:

$wmiccommand = 'wmic product where name="windows live writer" call uninstall'

RunWait('"' & @ComSpec & '" /c '&$wmiccommand, '', @SW_HIDE)

More about wmic

Edited by Jewtus

Uninstall.exe /S

?

I tried that via command line and it didn't work.  I got an InstallShield Wizard popup stating "The wizard cannot continue because of the following error: Invalid command line option: /s is not a valid command line option (1001) (403)"

I ran as admin from cmd line:  C:Program FilesHyp2_uninstuninstallClient.exe /s

Edit:  If you are talking about doing the above uninstalling autoit from a command:   C:Program Files (x86)AutoIt3Uninstall.exe /s , that just brings up an Autoit uninstall window for you to make selections.  Reason I used autoit for comparison is it contains the same exact type UninstallString path in the registry as this program, ending with an exe.  Nothing regarding msi, switches, anything

Edited by obfuscatedv

Usually silent uninstall works with MSI installers, but MSI installs should show up on WMIC. There is a tool that I use to force uninstall programs and it will scrub the registry for any associated entries that might help you isolate what you need. The tool is called "revo uninstaller". Its kinda a pain to find a bloatware free version, but you can get one here (its under utilities).

You could try to call the uninstaller with -help, --help, /? or things of those nature and maybe there is a help file that will list the variables that are available. 

I cannot use Revo unfortunately as I will be pushing this to machines and need to automate it.  I can try to use it to find other entries though.  Ive searched up and down the registry and what I typed above is the closest I have found.  

I tried using /?, -help, --help, in the command window and just get the same InstallShield Wizard error, "The wizard cannot continue because of the following error:  Invalid command line option: /? is not supported (1001) (403)

Edited by obfuscatedv

• Moderators

What do you use for repackaging, or do you normally just script the available installer? I know AdminStudio has a module that will let you tear an installer apart to write your own uninstaller if you need.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

I normally use whatever the app calls for, sometimes InstallShield, Wise, and most of the time I can script out installs just using autoit.  I have AdminStudio but am not aware of this module to do that.

My last resort option is doing this through a bunch of clicks and button sends in add/remove, but Ive only done that a time or two and I'm not great with it. 

You could always run it behind the desktop, and logically manipulate the gui...the msi route would probably be cleaner, and less error prone.

IEbyXPATH-Grab IE DOM objects by XPATH IEscriptRecord-Makings of an IE script recorder ExcelFromXML-Create Excel docs without excel installed GetAllWindowControls-Output all control data on a given window.

Did you try /x from the Special Installation Modes

/x     Basic MSI, InstallScript MSI    The /x option causes Setup.exe to uninstall a previously installed product.

http://helpnet.installshield.com/installshield18helplib/IHelpSetup_EXECmdLine.htm

This can be usefull sometimes as well for finding what the available switches are

http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=2520