IniWrite - doesn't works the way it should...

Hi there!

I've got a pretty annoying problem with the IniWrite() function: It does write crap.

I'm doing a script which is restoring Ghost Images in my company - and the script should store the paths for the image files. But whatever I let it write - it just writes crap. Numeric crap. And by the way: The IniRead() function oly works sometimes, and only with the $Win2k_path var.

Here's the code of the GUI-Window and subroutines which handle that (this code won't run standalone of course ;) :

Func ConfigWindow()

$configwindow = GUICreate ("Konfiguration", 500, 300, -1, -1, $WS_EX_ACCEPTFILES)
    GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, "CLOSEClicked")

$configokbutton = GUICtrlCreateButton("OK", 30, 120, 100)
    GUICtrlSetOnEvent($configokbutton, "ConfigOk")
    GUICtrlSetState(-1,$GUI_FOCUS)

$configcancelbutton = GUICtrlCreateButton("Abbrechen", 140, 120, 100)
    GUICtrlSetOnEvent($configcancelbutton, "CLOSEClicked");TODO: Link with ChildClose

$configsavebutton = GUICtrlCreateButton("Speichern", 250, 120, 100)
    GUICtrlSetOnEvent($configsavebutton, "IniWriter")

$configundobutton = GUICtrlCreateButton("Verwerfen", 360, 120, 100)
    GUICtrlSetOnEvent($configundobutton, "Undo")

GUISetState (@SW_SHOW)

GUICtrlCreateLabel("Pfad für Windows XP-Image:", 30, 15); Path input
    $WinXP_path = GUICtrlCreateInput ("", 200, 10, 270)
    GUICtrlSetState(-1,$GUI_ACCEPTFILES)
    GUICtrlCreateLabel("Pfad für Windows 2000-Image:", 30, 50)
    $Win2k_path = GUICtrlCreateInput ("", 200, 45, 270)
    GUICtrlCreateLabel("Pfad für Windows 2003-Image:", 30, 85)
    $Win2k3_path = GUICtrlCreateInput ("", 200, 80, 270)
EndFunc

;Out of this funcions crap is born:

Func IniReader()
    $WinXP_path = IniRead (@ScriptDir & "\ImageRestore.ini", "PATHS", "WinXP", "No Entry")
    $Win2k_path = IniRead (@ScriptDir & "\ImageRestore.ini", "PATHS", "Win2k", "No Entry")
    $Win2k3_path = IniRead (@ScriptDir & "\ImageRestore.ini", "PATHS", "Win2k3", "No Entry")
EndFunc

Func IniWriter()
    IniWrite(@ScriptDir & "\ImageRestore.ini", "PATHS", "WinXP", $WinXP_path)
    IniWrite(@ScriptDir & "\ImageRestore.ini", "PATHS", "Win2k", $Win2k_path)
    IniWrite(@ScriptDir & "\ImageRestore.ini", "PATHS", "Win2k3", $Win2k3_path)
EndFunc

I'm so glad if someone can help!

Func IniReader()
    $WinXP_path = IniRead (@ScriptDir & "\ImageRestore.ini", "PATHS", "WinXP", "No Entry")
    $Win2k_path = IniRead (@ScriptDir & "\ImageRestore.ini", "PATHS", "Win2k", "No Entry")
    $Win2k3_path = IniRead (@ScriptDir & "\ImageRestore.ini", "PATHS", "Win2k3", "No Entry")
EndFunc

Func IniWriter()
EndFunc

I don't see where you actually call these functions in your script? Also, you might want to put some debug msgboxes or tooltip lines inside the functions to see what values you are getting for @ScriptDir before it is concatenating it.

Edited by jefhal
...by the way, it's pronounced: "JIF"... Bob Berry --- inventor of the GIF format

Func IniReader()
EndFunc

Func IniWriter()
EndFunc

I don't see where you actually call these functions in your script? Also, you might want to put some debug msgboxes or tooltip lines inside the functions to see what values you are getting for @ScriptDir before it is concatenating it.

I'm calling the IniWriter() function with the configsavesavebutton (german: save= Speichern):

The IniRead() function isn't actually called in with this GUI, but in the general script to ensure it is called before the actual call of the configuration window function.

I did some MsgBoxes to get the values. Here are the values of the three paths:

[PATHS]
WinXP=4107
Win2k=4109
Win2k3=4111

CODE

Func IniReader()

GUICtrlSetData($WinXP_path, IniRead(@ScriptDir & "\ImageRestore.ini", "PATHS", "WinXP", "No Entry"))

GUICtrlSetData($Win2k_path, IniRead(@ScriptDir & "\ImageRestore.ini", "PATHS", "Win2k", "No Entry"))

GUICtrlSetData($Win2k3_path, IniRead(@ScriptDir & "\ImageRestore.ini", "PATHS", "Win2k3", "No Entry"))

EndFunc ;==>IniReader

Func IniWriter()

IniWrite(@ScriptDir & "\ImageRestore.ini", "PATHS", "WinXP", GUICtrlRead($WinXP_path))

IniWrite(@ScriptDir & "\ImageRestore.ini", "PATHS", "Win2k", GUICtrlRead($Win2k_path))

IniWrite(@ScriptDir & "\ImageRestore.ini", "PATHS", "Win2k3", GUICtrlRead($Win2k3_path))

EndFunc ;==>IniWriter

SciTE for AutoItDirections for Submitting Standard UDFs

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

CODE

Func IniReader()

GUICtrlSetData($WinXP_path, IniRead(@ScriptDir & "\ImageRestore.ini", "PATHS", "WinXP", "No Entry"))

GUICtrlSetData($Win2k_path, IniRead(@ScriptDir & "\ImageRestore.ini", "PATHS", "Win2k", "No Entry"))

GUICtrlSetData($Win2k3_path, IniRead(@ScriptDir & "\ImageRestore.ini", "PATHS", "Win2k3", "No Entry"))

EndFunc ;==>IniReader

Func IniWriter()

IniWrite(@ScriptDir & "\ImageRestore.ini", "PATHS", "WinXP", GUICtrlRead($WinXP_path))

IniWrite(@ScriptDir & "\ImageRestore.ini", "PATHS", "Win2k", GUICtrlRead($Win2k_path))

IniWrite(@ScriptDir & "\ImageRestore.ini", "PATHS", "Win2k3", GUICtrlRead($Win2k3_path))

EndFunc ;==>IniWriter

THANK YOU! YOU ARE MY PERSONAL HERO!

CODE

gafrost-

Can you tell us why the earlier method didn't work? Shouldn't iniread have returned the value? Thanks...

...by the way, it's pronounced: "JIF"... Bob Berry --- inventor of the GIF format

• Developers

Can you tell us why the earlier method didn't work? Shouldn't iniread have returned the value? Thanks...

$WinXP_path will contain the Handle to the Input GUIControl.

To set the Value of a Control, you do GUICtrlSetData().

To retrieve the value a a control you do GuiCtrlRead().

So this statement corrupts the Control handle value and doesn't set the control to the value

;)

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Oh, thanks. And, the line above would return the key value (according to help on IniRead), not a handle?

• Developers

Oh, thanks. And, the line above would return the key value (according to help on IniRead), not a handle?

Yes you are correct.

But i am trying to explain that the variable $WinXP_path already contains the Handle to the GUI control and should not be overridden with the value from the INI.

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Yes you are correct.

But i am trying to explain that the variable $WinXP_path already contains the Handle to the GUI control and should not be overridden with the value from the INI.

Got it. Thanks JdeB! ;)

So, one of my problems stays: I'm getting numeric crap out of the IniRead() function.

I've attached the complete source file of the script and the ini file. The ini-file is a .txt file since I wasn't allowed to load up a .ini file. So in case you wanna test my script, rename the .txt file to .ini ;-).

Here are the instructions to what I wanna show you:

If you click "Config" in the main window, the IniRead() function is called and a MsgBox will appear, listing the values of $WinXP_path, $Win2k_path and $Win2k3_path, which are empty (this even happens if values are allready in the ini). After that, the child window should pop up - giving you no values at all. Type something into the input fields and hit "speichern" (which is german for "save"). Now, the ini has been written, and I get the following numbers inserted in the different input fields:

WinXp_path: 4107

Win2k_path: 4109

Win2k3_path: 4111

Now here comes the crap: When I press OK or Abbrechen (which is cancel), some weird stuff happens: although the function for the buttons looks like this:

Func ChildClose()
    GUISetState(@SW_HIDE)
    GUISwitch($mainwindow)
    GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
EndFunc;==> ChildClose

the window won't get hidden and the parent activated. No: the ini gets (PROPERLY!) re-read and the child window (the config dialog) stays forever (or at least until I press escape). If you press save (speichern) now, the numbers become visible again, but doubled. If you hit ok or cancel, the ini gets properly read and display of the values is correct. ;)

no here comes even better stuff:

start the app anew, press config and click "ok" or "abbrechen" (which actually have the same functions called on mouseclick). Do not press save. Guess what happens? The child gets "closed" (hidden), and the poarent visible...

I sat all day on this and it didn't get better. I gotta get home to un-brainf***...

I would be very very happy if someone of yould help me again!

1: change button event to

$configbutton = GuiCtrlCreateButton("Config", 250, 120, 100)

GUICtrlSetOnEvent($configbutton, "ConfigWindow")

2:Correct creating input controls

CODE

Func ConfigWindow()

; Call IniReader for the input fields:

;IniReader()

;IniReader()

; Start Config GUI:

$configwindow = GUICreate("Konfiguration",500,300,-1,-1,BitOr($WS_POPUP, $WS_CAPTION),-1,$mainwindow)

;GUISetState(@SW_HIDE)

;GUISwitch($configwindow)

;GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

;$configwindow = GUICreate ("Konfiguration", 500, 300, -1, -1, $WS_EX_ACCEPTFILES)

GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, "CLOSEClicked")

$configokbutton = GUICtrlCreateButton("OK", 30, 120, 100)

GUICtrlSetOnEvent($configokbutton, "ConfigOk")

GUICtrlSetState(-1,$GUI_FOCUS)

$configcancelbutton = GUICtrlCreateButton("Abbrechen", 140, 120, 100)

GUICtrlSetOnEvent($configcancelbutton, "ChildClose")

$configundobutton = GUICtrlCreateButton("Verwerfen", 360, 120, 100)

GUICtrlSetOnEvent($configundobutton, "Undo")

GUICtrlSetState ($configundobutton, $GUI_DISABLE) ;DEAKTIVIERT DEN UNDO-BUTTON

GUISetState (@SW_SHOW)

GUICtrlCreateLabel("Pfad für Windows XP-Image:", 30, 15)

GUICtrlCreateLabel("Pfad für Windows 2000-Image:", 30, 50)

$Win2k_path = GUICtrlCreateInput ("", 200, 45, 270)

GUICtrlCreateLabel("Pfad für Windows 2003-Image:", 30, 85)

$Win2k3_path = GUICtrlCreateInput ("", 200, 80, 270)

IniReader() ; load controls from ini

EndFunc ;==>ConfigWindow

3: remove call in inireader

CODE

Func IniReader()

MsgBox(48,"Break","Contents of WinXP, Win2k and Win2k3:", $WinXP_path & $Win2k_path & $Win2k3_path)

;~ ConfigWindow()

EndFunc ;==>IniReader

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Thank you very much!

I'm pretty sure I once had it that way - except the fact I didn't put the IniReader call after the GUI creation section(I'm sure I onec had, but not with the combination of functions and other code in the rest of the script).

What surprises me though, is that now I don't get that numeric crap - and I wonder why. I just don't get it. Could you please explain that to me?

Here's where the problem was

$WinXP_path = GUICtrlCreateInput ($WinXP_path , 200, 10, 270)

$Win2k_path = GUICtrlCreateInput ($Win2k_path , 200, 45, 270)

$Win2k3_path = GUICtrlCreateInput ($Win2k3_path , 200, 80, 270)

you were displaying the handle then assigning the handle to each control