Simple Date and Time compare issue

Kovacic

Go to solution Solved by BrewManNH,

I know this should be simple, and I dont know why I am having so much trouble with it, but what I am trying to do is compare the current time and date vs. a future time and date. The format of both dates must be: YYYY/MM/DD hh:mm:ss

This is what I have so far as a test:

#include "date.au3"
$FutureTime = "2014/11/25 15:12:05"
$days    = _DateDiff("D",@year & "/" & @mon & "/" & @MDAY & " " & @hour & ":" & @min & ":" & @sec ,$FutureTime)
$hours   = _DateDiff("h",@year & "/" & @mon & "/" & @MDAY & " " & @hour & ":" & @min & ":" & @sec ,$FutureTime)
$minutes = _DateDiff("m",@year & "/" & @mon & "/" & @MDAY & " " & @hour & ":" & @min & ":" & @sec ,$FutureTime)
$seconds = _DateDiff("s",@year & "/" & @mon & "/" & @MDAY & " " & @hour & ":" & @min & ":" & @sec ,$FutureTime)
MsgBox(0,"Time until..",$days & " Days, " & $hours   & " Hours, " & $minutes  & " minutes, " & $seconds & " seconds")

I do understand why this wont work, because for each of hours, minutes, seconds, etc, it is giving the total time between the dates in each variable as per the _DateDiff knowledgeable article. I am hoping to get something more like:  20 Days, 4 Hours, 6 minutes and 25 seconds...

Does anyone already have a small chunk of code I can use, or at least be able to shed some light?

Thanks in advance!

C0d3 is P0etry( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Kovacic,

One way...

#include <date.au3>

_duration('2015/11/05 12:00:00')

func _duration($target_date)

$diff = _datediff('s',_NowCalc(),$target_date)

; calcs adapted from code by UEZ

local $days
    Local $secs = Mod($diff, 60)
    Local $mins = Mod(Int($diff / 60), 60)
    Local $hrs  = Int($diff / 60 ^ 2)
    If $hrs > 23 Then
        $days = Floor($hrs/ 24)
        $hrs -= $days * 24
    endif

local $diff_out = stringformat('%02i Days %02i Hours %02i Minutes %02i Seconds to ' & stringleft($target_date,stringinstr($target_date,' ')), $days, $hrs, $mins, $secs)
    ConsoleWrite($diff_out & @CRLF)

endfunc

kylomas

Forum Rules         Procedure for posting code

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill

• Solution

Another way using the math needed for the conversion.

#include "date.au3"
$FutureTime = "2014/11/25 18:12:05"
$days = _DateDiff("D", @YEAR & "/" & @MON & "/" & @MDAY & " " & @HOUR & ":" & @MIN & ":" & @SEC, $FutureTime)
$hours = _DateDiff("h", @YEAR & "/" & @MON & "/" & @MDAY & " " & @HOUR & ":" & @MIN & ":" & @SEC, $FutureTime)
$minutes = _DateDiff("m", @YEAR & "/" & @MON & "/" & @MDAY & " " & @HOUR & ":" & @MIN & ":" & @SEC, $FutureTime)
$seconds = _DateDiff("s", @YEAR & "/" & @MON & "/" & @MDAY & " " & @HOUR & ":" & @MIN & ":" & @SEC, $FutureTime)
$iDays = Int($seconds / 86400)
$iHours = Int(($seconds - ($iDays * 86400)) / 3600)
$iMinutes = Int((($seconds - ($iDays * 86400)) - ($iHours * 3600)) / 60)
$iSeconds = Int(((($seconds - ($iDays * 86400)) - ($iHours * 3600) - ($iMinutes * 60)) * 60) / 60)
MsgBox(0, "Time until..", $iDays & " Days, " & $iHours & " Hours, " & $iMinutes & " minutes, " & $iSeconds & " seconds")

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Another way using the math needed for the conversion.

#include "date.au3"
$FutureTime = "2014/11/25 18:12:05"
$days = _DateDiff("D", @YEAR & "/" & @MON & "/" & @MDAY & " " & @HOUR & ":" & @MIN & ":" & @SEC, $FutureTime)
$hours = _DateDiff("h", @YEAR & "/" & @MON & "/" & @MDAY & " " & @HOUR & ":" & @MIN & ":" & @SEC, $FutureTime)
$minutes = _DateDiff("m", @YEAR & "/" & @MON & "/" & @MDAY & " " & @HOUR & ":" & @MIN & ":" & @SEC, $FutureTime)
$seconds = _DateDiff("s", @YEAR & "/" & @MON & "/" & @MDAY & " " & @HOUR & ":" & @MIN & ":" & @SEC, $FutureTime)
$iDays = Int($seconds / 86400)
$iHours = Int(($seconds - ($iDays * 86400)) / 3600)
$iMinutes = Int((($seconds - ($iDays * 86400)) - ($iHours * 3600)) / 60)
$iSeconds = Int(((($seconds - ($iDays * 86400)) - ($iHours * 3600) - ($iMinutes * 60)) * 60) / 60)
MsgBox(0, "Time until..", $iDays & " Days, " & $iHours & " Hours, " & $iMinutes & " minutes, " & $iSeconds & " seconds")

You are an awesome human being! don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise!

problem solved!

I really need to save a snippet like this, getting the math to work out correctly is not my strong suit. :D

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I really need to save a snippet like this, getting the math to work out correctly is not my strong suit. :D

Thats where I fell short... I knew that an extensive amount of math had to be done, but I also knew it would take me many hours and head aches to figure it out. That would be cool, a global database of snippits.. I know the KB has them with each function, but math functions like the one above are priceless and wont be found in the KB.

BTW, just so anyone looking at this in the future, you can eliminate the lines for $days, $minutes, $hours as they're not needed. I just forgot to delete them.

Also, this snippet will work for dates in the past as well as the future.

Edited by BrewManNH