How heavy would such script be on system resources?

Go to solution Solved by BrewManNH,

Hi. A couple of minutes ago I came up with this really simple script to solve my annoyance with Avira Free:

While True
   local $popup = WinWait("c:\program files\avira\antivir desktop\ipmGui.exe")
   WinClose($popup)
WEnd

But I've got some doubts as to how much would it impact the system if I left it running forever.

Do you think it's alright to add such script to autostart and let it run at all times, or should I introduce some changes, maybe inserting a lengthy Sleep after the third line would make it better?

Generally I don't care if the popup gets closed in 200 ms or 5 seconds, so if it's possible to decrease the polling rate, I could use that too.

I've also got to ask about the variable. It being local, does it mean it gets cleared whenever new loop iteration begins, or does it stay in the memory all the time?

• Solution

You should insert a short sleep in the loop, to prevent overworking your CPU, usually 10-100ms is more than enough.

As to the variable, you don't need to declare it inside the loop, but using Local in the loop has no effect. Variables in AutoIt have 2 scopes, local variables used inside functions, and global. Any variable declared outside of a function is by design a Global variable, so it doesn't matter in the least if you use Local or Global in those cases, they'll both be considered Global. Variables declared Local inside loops will be Global if declared outside of a function, and Local if inside a function but not local to the loop.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Ooops, totally missed that myself. :doh:

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Thank you for replying guys.

So considering the reply of BrewManNH, is this one better?

While True
   $popup = WinWait("c:\program files\avira\antivir desktop\ipmGui.exe")
   WinClose($popup)
   Sleep(500)
WEnd

Jos, see the "Remarks" section here: https://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/functions/WinWait.htm

Edited by micechal

• Moderators

micechal,

The WinWait function internally polls "every 250 milliseconds or so", but the overall script remains paused until it returns. ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

It should hardly make any difference. It is generally a good idea to use the minimum recources to achieve a task. In this case you can pass the handle directly and do not need to create a variable. Sometimes you might want to declare a variable simply to make the code easier to understand.

Edited by czardas

Like mentioned above, since there is already an internal 'sleep' in the winwait, there is no need for your added sleep.

While True
   WinClose(WinWait("c:\program files\avira\antivir desktop\ipmGui.exe"))
WEnd
IEbyXPATH-Grab IE DOM objects by XPATH IEscriptRecord-Makings of an IE script recorder ExcelFromXML-Create Excel docs without excel installed GetAllWindowControls-Output all control data on a given window.

Declaring inside a loop foes affect the overall execution, as AutoIt has to internally re-check the scope of the variable.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

If the variable is only used/seen within that if statement, then it's good practice according to all the articles I have read.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

• Moderators

If the variable is only used/seen within that if statement, then it's good practice according to all the articles I have read.

It depends on the language I would assume more so than anything.

With interpretation, if the variables are created regardless of a condition, then it is unnecessary and using more resources to create within a condition/loop.  That would be bad practice IMHO.

Most languages only create the variable and use the resource within a condition if the condition is true, then they go out of scope once the condition is done with, so those languages, I would agree, creating the variable is ok even suggested within those languages.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

I certainly do see the logic in not declaring a variable that you don't intend to use. For me it's more a question of personal coding style. The occasional unnecessary local declaration causes no significant degradation in performance. I therefore prefer consistancy of style in this instance - declaring variables outside conditionals and only assigning values when needed.

I think the point where this might become a problem is past the point where a helper function really ought to be used, in most cases. This is what I generally do instead of using conditional declarations - which are apparently quite common. I also think it's a matter of perspective: if the function is using declarations in an abnormal way, then whatever effect that has will need taking into consideration. I'm not sure if there's really a right or wrong answer.

;

Func Whatever()
    Local $vFoo ; Has very little impact.
    If @HOUR > 1 Then
        $vFoo = "megabytes" ; Now we need to use some memory.
    EndIf
    $vFoo = 0

; Carry on...
EndFunc

;

But I would most likely do this:

Func Whatever()
    If @HOUR > 1 Then HelperFunction()

; Carry on...
EndFunc

Func HelperFunction()
    Local $vFoo = "megabytes"
EndFunc
Edited by czardas

But I would most likely do this:

Func Whatever()
    If @HOUR > 1 Then HelperFunction()

; Carry on...
EndFunc

Func HelperFunction()
    Local $vFoo = "megabytes"
EndFunc

In C#, the variable foo would out of scope if it were to be used outside of the condition. Unfortunately this same logic doesn't happen in AutoIt, though it;s still best to conform to the practice of declare variables in their lowest scope possible.

Func Whatever()
    If @HOUR > 1 Then
        Local $vFoo = "megabytes" ; Now we need to use some memory.
    EndIf

; Carry on...
EndFunc

By the way in C# and Java, the whole don't declare variables in a loop problem, doesn't apply to those languages.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

Good information, thanks! These subtleties do make a difference. I don't think it's so bad to make declarations according to a condition. I've never come accross a situation where I needed to do this in AutoIt, and I don't believe I ever will because of the alternatives already mentioned.

Edited by czardas