Two new functions have been added: _FractionPower() and _FractionRoot(). It was interesting to discover that the AutoIt power operator returns -1.#IND for all possible roots of negative numbers. It's a bit strange, but anyway. I have also added a Header and this UDF is just about finished. It is possible to optimize performance, but I'll do that if it becomes a necessity in the future. Anyone wanting to create a version with accuracy greater than two values of up to fifteen digits, or catering for imaginary numbers or irrational roots; go ahead. This is already more than sufficient my purposes.

Edited by czardas

There's no such thing as a square root of a negative number. Take for example 16, square root = 4, 4 x 4 = 16. If you had -16 it's theoretical sqrt would be -4, -4 x -4 = 16 (not -16).

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/52613.html

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

There's no such thing as a square root of a negative number. Take for example 16, square root = 4, 4 x 4 = 16. If you had -16 it's theoretical sqrt would be -4, -4 x -4 = 16 (not -16).

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/52613.html

Yeah, but that only applies to roots which are even, so a cubed root of a negative number returns a real negative result.

Edited by czardas

I hadn't thought about going outside the square root method, and you'd be correct only roots divisible by 2 (square root, fourth root, etc.) should give you an invalid answer. Looks like the "^" operator needs to work with negative numbers.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I think it ought to. By all means suggest it! I have revised my opinion about this.

My solution was to check validity of the input, before using the power operator with positive values, and then changing the sign back to negative afterwards. Perhaps for reasons of speed, such checks are omitted in preferance for returning -1.#IND, which I assume is meant to indicate negative NaN - whatever that is.

Edited by czardas

-1:#IND means indefinite, in other words, AutoIt can't come up with a valid answer for that. People have been complaining about this since at least 2006 from my search of the forums here.

EDIT: BTW, I found this work around that will fix that problem.

MsgBox(4096, "The cube root of -27 is", 0 - (27 ^ (1 / 3)))
Edited by BrewManNH

Yes it works. You have to run at least two checks. When the number is negative, the divisor has to be odd. As it happens, there is a problem with these new functions. I'll fix it in a mo.

Edit : Reverted to an earlier version. For some reason I changed it because I thought I had found a bug, now I'm wondering if it really was a bug. I had found a bug. :

Edited by czardas

It should be working now. I was confused with the additional effect of the dividend of the root fraction which also affects the sign, depending on whether it is odd or even. I'm a bit tired right now. I'll need to look at this again later.

;

#include 'Fraction.au3'

Local $a1 = _Fraction(-1, 8)
Local $a2 = _Fraction(3, 5)
Local $a3 = _FractionRoot($a1, $a2)

ConsoleWrite($a3[0] / $a3[1] & @LF) ; -0.03125
ConsoleWrite((1 / 8) ^ (5 / 3) *-1 & @LF) ; -0.03125

;

Perhaps this will shed some light on why the power operator behaves the way it does. Interesting read:

http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/317528/how-do-you-compute-negative-numbers-to-fractional-powers

I'm beginning to wonder whether this kind of calculation is suitable for floats. I don't see how it could easily be calculated, or if it would make any sense to do so. If anyone finds any issues with the way I have implemented _FractionPower() or _FractionRoot(), please say how you think it should be different.

Edited by czardas

• 4 weeks later...

This might be a dumb question, but I'v got a migraine and it's making it hard to think right now.

But can I use this simply to replace standard autoit division to return accurate results?

And if so, which function would I use?

would I just replace say 1567/100 with _Fraction(1567, 100)?

Edited by nullschritt

Fractions have two components. The upper dividend and lower divisor. The two numbers are stored as array elements.

#include <Array.au3>
#include 'Fraction.au3'

Local $aArray = _Fraction(1567, 100)
_ArrayDisplay($aArray)

This way you avoid using floats to store the value, which in turn avoids rounding which occurs with floats.

There are different ways you can use the functions.

#include <Array.au3>
#include 'Fraction.au3'

$aArray = _FractionAdd($aArray, _Fraction(1)) ; Add 1
_ArrayDisplay($aArray)
Edited by czardas

Okay thanks, but once I have the fraction, how do I go about multiplying it by an int without dividing it into it's double value?

Do I NEED to convert the value I want to multiply to a fraction too? (n/1)

And if so how do I convert the output back to a double after?

Edited by nullschritt

The mathematical operator functions require array parameters, but it's easy as shown above and below.

#include <Array.au3>
#include 'Fraction.au3'

Local $iInt = 17

$aArray = _FractionMultiply($aArray, _Fraction($iInt))
_ArrayDisplay($aArray)

; Convert to a double
ConsoleWrite($aArray[0] / $aArray[1] & @LF)

Bear in mind that accuracy is still limited to two sets of 15 digits. I plan to change this in the future (if it turns out not to be too difficult). Also make sure you read the part about the @extended return value.

Edited by czardas

• 7 months later...

Updated the first post with a new version - requires operator64.au3. Fractions are now made up of two Int-64 values. When internal calculations go out of range, double precision is used to return an approximated fraction. This limits precision to between 15 to 17 digits for both dividend and divisor. It ought to be preferable to approximate fractions using _FractionApproximate() before internal calculations go out of range, but this needs further investigation. I'm not sure if I should try to do this automatically. I think this doesn't need to be any more complicated than it is already.

This is an alpha release: @error and @extended values are likely to change. Currently testing.

Examples:

#include 'Fraction.au3'
#include <Array.au3>

; Example 1
Local $rPi = _Fraction(3141592653589793238, 1000000000000000000)
Local $rFr = $rPi, $iMaxDivisor

Do
    ConsoleWrite($rFr[0] &" / " & $rFr[1] & " =" & @TAB)
    ConsoleWrite(StringTrimRight(StringFormat('%.16e',$rFr[0] / $rFr[1]), 5) & @LF)
    $iMaxDivisor = $rFr[1] -1
    $rFr = _FractionApproximate($rPi, $iMaxDivisor) ; Approximate Pi
Until @error

; Example 2 - corruption test
Local $aSequence, $aReverse

; the following expressions remain within range (only just)
$aSequence = _Reciprocal(_FractionAdd(_FractionMultiply(_FractionSubtract(_FractionPower(_Fraction(2), _Fraction(62)), _Fraction(1)), _Fraction(2)), _Fraction(1)))
_ArrayDisplay($aSequence, 'tiny')

$aReverse = _FractionRoot(_FractionAdd(_FractionDivide(_FractionSubtract(_Reciprocal($aSequence), _Fraction(1)), _Fraction(2)), _Fraction(1)), _Fraction(62))
_ArrayDisplay($aReverse, 'YAY')

; just messin' about ;)

Edited by czardas

I expect the next few posts will be bug fixes - here's the first - patch added to _FractionApproximate(). Incorporating Int-64 turned out to be tricky.

; out of range array error in _FractionApproximate() ==> triggered by the following expression
_FractionApproximate(_Fraction(4450854863457451063, 3338141282112949374), 3338141282112949373)

From the results of Pi approximation (example 1 from post 33), it would appear that a denominator of 8 digits is adequate to represent 17 digits of a float - that's promising. The difference is not easy to define. I have used a new prefix: $r = rational data type (stored in an array).

Edited by czardas

The results of the test in post #20 (posted in February) were not as good as I had hoped. This is the main reason I added Int-64 support. After running a similar test below - the new results are quite revealing. You can observe the degradation of double precision as more and more iterations are introduced. This is followed by a similar degradation affecting the accuracy of _Fraction(), and ultimately both methods go into complete meltdown. Well if it floats float your boat - or perhaps they might just sink your boat. :D

#include 'Fraction.au3'

Global $g_iAPPROXIMATIONS = 0

Local $r3rd = [1, 3], $r2Thirds = [2, 3], $fVal = 1/3, $rFr = $r3rd

For $iIterations = 1 To 85
    $g_iAPPROXIMATIONS = 0
    ; Do
    For $i = 1 to $iIterations
        $fVal *= 2/3
        $fVal += 1/3

$rFr = _FractionMultiply($rFr, $r2Thirds)
        If @extended Then $g_iAPPROXIMATIONS += 1

$rFr = _FractionAdd($rFr, $r3rd)
    Next

; Undo
    For $i = 1 to $iIterations
        $fVal -= 1/3
        $fVal /= 2/3

$rFr = _FractionSubtract($rFr, $r3rd)

$rFr = _FractionDivide($rFr, $r2Thirds)
    Next

ConsoleWrite('Iterations = ' & $iIterations & @LF _
        & StringFormat('%.16e', $fVal) & " Double Precision" & @LF _
        & StringFormat('%.16e', $rFr[0] / $rFr[1]) & " _Fraction()" & @LF _
        & "Approximations = " & $g_iAPPROXIMATIONS & @LF & @LF)

If $iIterations = 37 Then ConsoleWrite('>>>> Now things start to get a little strange! <<<<' & @LF & @LF)
    If $iIterations = 85 Then ConsoleWrite('>>>> Melt Down! <<<<' & @LF & @LF)
    ;Sleep(100)
Next

This test reveals an ugly truth about modern computers.

Edited by czardas

• 4 weeks later...

My original solution to the following question revealed a bug in _FractionMod(). Link: https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/178796-ceiling-in-less-than-whole-number-increments/ The bug turned out to be a missing set of parentheses in _FractionFloor() - nothing wrong with the logic. :phew:

Malkey's posted solution is clearly the best, but doing the same thing using fractions is interesting. I decided to post my original method here (fixed version) as an example of using Fraction.au3. Using _FractionMod() turns out to be more complicated and is unlikely to be a suitable method (this is still a good test). The fact that floats are converted to fractions and vice versa is of no great concern: ideally there would be no conversion and preferably no floats involved at all. However it is necessary to test and compare results against double precision - not for speed, but to verify accuracy and usability. The latest version of this UDF is in the first post.

#include 'Fraction.au3'

MsgBox(0, "", _CalibrationCeiling(104.09, 1.04))

Func _CalibrationCeiling($fNumber, $fUnit)
    Local $aNum = _Fraction($fNumber)
    If @error Then Return SetError(1) ; NaN

Local $aUnit = _Fraction($fUnit)
    If @error Or $aUnit[0] <= 0 Then Return SetError(2) ; bad calibration unit
    Local $aMod = _FractionMod($aNum, $aUnit) ; will be less than a whole unit

Local $bNegative = _IsFractionNegative($aNum)
    If $bNegative Then $aMod[0] *= -1

If $aMod[0] Then $aNum = _FractionAdd($aNum, ($bNegative ? $aMod : _FractionSubtract($aUnit, $aMod)))
    If Not IsArray($aNum) Then Return SetError(3) ; most likely cause for this error ==> out of bounds

Return $aNum[0] / $aNum[1]
EndFunc ; _CalibrationCeiling
Edited by czardas

• 3 years later...

New example: Calculate how long would it take to generate all melodies allowable under musical copyright laws.

Requires ArrayWorkshop.au3 and Operator64.au3 - See signature below this post. Fraction.au3 can be found in the first post of this thread.

After a recent discussion, I got curious about how long it would take to generate all musical melodies allowable under musical copyright. Nobody understands musical copyright: how does a judge differentiate between a badly played septuplet and a slightly slower quintuplet (LOL)? One rule that I heard (which may or may not apply internationally) is that a melodic sequence must vary after 11 notes (very vague).

First it is necessary to grasp some basic theory. Durations are expressed as fractions of beats. The most commonly used beat value is 1/4 note (one quarter of a whole note). In the calculation below, quarter note beats are divided into (x8) 32ndNotes, (x7) septuplets, (x6) sextuplets, (x5) quintuplets. For the purpose of this calculation, these values are combined in every way possible to produce 3480 extended durations lasting between 1/32 note and 5 whole notes. I have posted the calculation here to demonstrate the suitability of this UDF for certain types of task. There's probably a simple formula for such a calculation - only I don't know it.

#include-once
#include 'fraction.au3' ; requires operator64.au3
#include 'ArrayWorkshop.au3'

; Brute Force Calculation for the Number of Exit Points Within One Quarter Note
; =============================================================================

; graininess (shortest note) = 32ndNotes (x8), septuplets (x7), sextuplets (x6), quintuplets (x5)

; fractions needed: 1/8, 1/7, 1/6, 1/5
; fractions not needed: 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 because ...
; multiples are generated by the process, eg 1/2 = 3/6

Local $aCombinations[8 *7 *6 *5][2],  $aDuration[2]

Local $iCount = 0

; calculate the number of possible durations between 1/32 and a single whole note.
For $8 = 0 To 7 ; 32ndNotes
    For $7 = 0 To 6 ; septuplets
        For $6 = 0 To 5 ; sextuplets
            For $5 = 0 To 4 ; quintuplets
                ; get sustained note combinations (tied note durations)
                $aDuration = _FractionAdd(_Fraction($5, 5), _FractionAdd(_Fraction($6, 6), _FractionAdd(_Fraction($7, 7), _Fraction($8, 8))))
                If $aDuration[0] > $aDuration[1] Then ; total duration must remain within one beat
                    $aDuration[0] = 0 ; set to zero seconds duration
                    $aDuration[1] = 1
                EndIf
                $aCombinations[$iCount][0] = $aDuration[0]
                $aCombinations[$iCount][1] = $aDuration[1]
                $iCount += 1
            Next
        Next
    Next
Next

; remove any duplicate combinations
_ArrayUniqueXD($aCombinations) ; tests for duplicate (full) rows in 2D

Local $iEndPoints = UBound($aCombinations) -1 ; 174 possible termination points within one quarter note

; 10 seconds is long enough for a singer to maintain a note.
; 10 seconds (longest note) @ 120 bpm (moderato) = 20 beats (sustained limit)

$iEndPoints *= 20 ; simply multiply the number of end points by 20
ConsoleWrite("note end points between a 1/32 note and 5 whole beats = " & $iEndPoints & @LF) ; = 3480

; taking a set of 11 pitched notes and 1 rest, calculate how many melodic sequences exist for the selected set
Local $fMelodies = $iEndPoints ^12
ConsoleWrite("all possible melodic sequences from the 11 note set = " & $fMelodies & @LF) ; = 3.15464814713788e+042

; How long would it take to generate all these melodies?
; A theoretical modern version of Deep Blue would be able to calculate 3 * 10^15 chess positions per second (2016).
; https://chess.stackexchange.com/questions/8117/how-many-positions-per-second-can-a-modern-supercomputer-calculate
; I'm just going to cheat and pretend these speeds are comparable.

Local $fYears = ($fMelodies /3.0e+15) /(60 *60 *24 *356)
ConsoleWrite("time in years to generate all sequences = " & $fYears & @LF) ; = 3.41873888882157e+019

; 34,000,000,000,000,000,000 years :D

Clearly brute force is a waste of time - especially when it would produce mostly arrhythmic rubbish anyway. Also consider the fact that this calculation only represents a subset of 11 pitched notes (pitch range can vary). The true answer is a heck of a lot larger than this.

Edited by czardas