question about file associated icon and registry

faustf

hi  guy

i  have  a  question

example  i  want  create a listview  with , list of  file  , pdf , jpg ,avi .....   and  want   when  a program find  in folder a  file  recognise a right icon

i saw  exist in  HKCU/software/classes/   a list  of  all file   but i dont   see  or  how  can  do   for look a  relative icon 

somthing  can  help me ? :)

thankz  alot

so    probably   i  explain  not  so  good 

suppose  you  have  a  list  of  file  in   txt  , in this  list   you  have  pippo.avi  , ciccio.pdf  , mambo.mp3 ...........   i  want  take  this  list and  put  in listview ,  and   for   each file  associate  the  icon  right ,  sure  for  do  this  i must  look in registry  hkcu/software/classes   (because  i  use  vlc , but other people use mediaplayer and  i want a  good association ).

i look  hkcu/software/classes/.avi  and  i see  the first  key =  mplayerc.avi (is mediaplayer classic )  

is not path of executable  and  i dont  know  how   find  a  path  for  suck a icon

thankz

Edited by faustf

First, you're looking in the wrong registry key.

To find the program that is associated with a certain extension you need to look in HKCR. Lets take an example from my system (Windows 7 x64). File extension is .mp3. The first key you look in is:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.mp3

Then you look at the Default value of this file extension, on my computer it's listed as VLC.mp3 because VLC is the default program used to open mp3 files.

Next you look in the key

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTVLC.mp3Shell

The default value here tells you the default action to take when you double click on the file type, in my computer the default verb (action) is Open.

So now we know what the default Verb is, we look in this key

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTVLC.mp3ShellOpenCommand

Sometimes the default Verb isn't listed in the Shell key, the default Verb when it's not listed as default is usually Open, so even if it's blank, your best bet is to look in OpenCommand

Inside the Command Key the default value listed is 99% of the time the program used to open it, and it's path to the program, on my computer the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTVLC.mp3ShellOpenCommand default value is ""C:Program Files (x86)VideoLANVLCvlc.exe" --started-from-file "%1"" the part listed in red is the path and program name used in the Open verb to point to what opens this type of file.

Edited by BrewManNH

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• Moderators

I'd much rather use the shell info suggestion... but this may help as well.

#include <Array.au3> ; for example only (_ArrayDisplay)

Global $gs_TypeOfExtension = ".docx"

; $ga_DefaultIconData[1] = Default exe/dll/etc full path for icon
; $ga_DefaultIconData[2] = Icon number within exe/dll/etc to access

Global $ga_DefaultIconData = _Reg_IconGetDefault($gs_TypeOfExtension)
Switch @error
    Case 0
        _ArrayDisplay($ga_DefaultIconData)
    Case 1
        MsgBox(16 + 262144, "Error", "Could not find extension!")
    Case 2
        MsgBox(16 + 262144, "Error", "Could not find path!")
    Case 3
        MsgBox(16 + 262144, "Error", "File path does not exist!")
EndSwitch

Func _Reg_IconGetDefault($s_type)

If StringLeft($s_type, 1) <> "." Then
        $s_type = "." & $s_type
    EndIf

Local $s_root = "HKCR"
    If @AutoItX64 Then $s_root &= "64"
    $s_root &= "\"

; default icon location in registry
    Local $s_defaultico = RegRead($s_root & $s_type, "")
    If Not $s_defaultico Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)

; provides location and what icon item to use
    Local $s_defaultlocation = RegRead($s_root & _
        $s_defaultico & "\" & "DefaultIcon", "")
    If @error Or Not $s_defaultlocation Then
        Return SetError(2, @error, 0)
    EndIf

Local $a_split = StringSplit($s_defaultlocation, ",")

; strip quotes
    For $i = 1 To UBound($a_split) - 1
        $a_split[$i] = StringReplace($a_split[$i], '"', "")
    Next

If Not FileExists($a_split[1]) Then
        Return SetError(3, 0, 0)
    EndIf

Return $a_split
EndFunc

Keep in mind you'll be needing to understand _GUIImageList* functions a bit to accomplish what you're looking for.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.