ControlSend to Google Chrome

I'm trying to open Google Chrome, send the F6 key (to focus on the omnibox), enter a link, hit enter, send tab X amount of times, and then hit enter again. So far I have not been able to get ControlSend to properly send these keys to Chrome.

I'm assuming my problem lies in ControlSend's controID parameter. I've used the Window Info Tool and found that the omnibox itself does not have a control ID or any information I can use to access it.

ControlSend($hwnd, "", "", "{F6}") ; does not work
ControlSend($hwnd, "", 192770240, "{F6}") ; does not work, 192770240 is the control ID of Chrome_RenderWidgetHostHWND

I've tried many different ways of approaching this but I still cannot get this work. I'm pretty sure my error is in the control ID but I'm not sure what I should pass into that parameter.

Edited by upperelo

• Moderators

Sounds like you may benefit more from this:

Than using ControlSend/Send methods.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

• Moderators
Saying "simple" implies you've found the solution or feel the solution is simple?

Using "Control" functions without the ability of getting the hwnds/id's the "control" function requires, doesn't seem "simple" to me.  In fact it seems it could ultimately produce unwanted results.

Unless you're intending on using this on separate machines, I don't see what the issue is installing an extension if its solution is readily made available to you.

But I digress, give the url, what we do to get to the position you're in, and maybe someone can show you a "control" themed solution.

All the same, this seems to do what you've stated specifically on my machine, understandings windows and their possible layers helps.

#include <winapi.au3>

Local $gh_chrome = _chrome_getFirstVisibleWithTitle()
If @error Then
    MsgBox(16 + 262144, "Error", "No window found")
    Exit 1
EndIf

_WinAPI_SetFocus($gh_chrome)
ControlSend($gh_chrome, "", 0, "{F6}")

Func _chrome_getFirstVisibleWithTitle()
    Local $ah_wlist = WinList("[CLASS:Chrome_WidgetWin_1]")
    If Not IsArray($ah_wlist) Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)

For $i = 1 To UBound($ah_wlist) - 1
        If String($ah_wlist[$i][0]) <> "" Then Return $ah_wlist[$i][1]
    Next

Return SetError(2, 0, 0)
EndFunc

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Saying "simple" implies you've found the solution or feel the solution is simple?

Using "Control" functions without the ability of getting the hwnds/id's the "control" function requires, doesn't seem "simple" to me.  In fact it seems it could ultimately produce unwanted results.

Unless you're intending on using this on separate machines, I don't see what the issue is installing an extension if its solution is readily made available to you.

But I digress, give the url, what we do to get to the position you're in, and maybe someone can show you a "control" themed solution.

All the same, this seems to do what you've stated specifically on my machine, understandings windows and their possible layers helps.

#include <winapi.au3>

Local $gh_chrome = _chrome_getFirstVisibleWithTitle()
If @error Then
    MsgBox(16 + 262144, "Error", "No window found")
    Exit 1
EndIf

_WinAPI_SetFocus($gh_chrome)
ControlSend($gh_chrome, "", 0, "{F6}")

Func _chrome_getFirstVisibleWithTitle()
    Local $ah_wlist = WinList("[CLASS:Chrome_WidgetWin_1]")
    If Not IsArray($ah_wlist) Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)

For $i = 1 To UBound($ah_wlist) - 1
        If String($ah_wlist[$i][0]) <> "" Then Return $ah_wlist[$i][1]
    Next

Return SetError(2, 0, 0)
EndFunc

Well by simple I just meant that but what I have to do with Chrome is simple. Navigate to a URL and click a link only once. The idea itself is simple but the solution may not.

Yes, I intend to use this on separate machines so I would have to install the extension on all the systems beforehand. The problem isn't getting the window handle as I'm able to get that, the problem for me (I think) is the control ID.

I just ran the script you provided and it only sends the keys if the Chrome window is focused (which I have to manually do because _WinAPI_SetFocus() doesn't seem to work). However, I know ControlSend can send to a window even if the window isn't focused, minimized, or even hidden. So why in this case does the window need to be focused? Is this because of the lack of control ID?

Edited by upperelo

• Moderators

Indeed.

Out of curiosity.  Why chrome when there is an entire IE udf available for you within AutoIt, as wells as Mozilla udfs within the example forums?

Indeed.

Out of curiosity.  Why chrome when there is an entire IE udf available for you within AutoIt, as wells as Mozilla udfs within the example forums?

I'm very familiar with the IE and FF udfs. This is a small part of a larger script that is very Chrome-specific. Either way I've gotten this for the most part to work by just focusing the window before sending any keys via WinActivate($hwnd). Thanks for your help.

Did you check that pinned thread in the examples forum that mentions Chrome? Sounds like it would be your best bet. Real automation with no extensions. But I have no idea if what you are specifically doing is supported, you will have to find that out yourself or wait for someone that have used it before.

>IUIAutomation MS framework automate chrome, FF, IE, ....