help with appending (nping)

Go to solution Solved by BrewManNH,

I was hoping if anyone is able to know how to append to the output file on this script so that the next scan will keep on writing to the same file and not overwrite the previous results!

Thank you very much

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Tip ! Use the following command to write the results to a text file, you can then use a batch / AutoIt or VBS script to email you the results:
nping 192.168.20.0-100 > networklog.txt

Edited by User751139

• Solution

nping 192.168.20.0-100 >> networklog.txt

That will append the text to the file

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

this is more a DOS question than an AutoIt one: use the operator >> instead of > to redirect the output to be appended to a file. like this:

nping 192.168.20.0-100 >> networklog.txt

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

Thanks guys!!

I kind of got what I wanted (sort of) I really wanted to scan 2 ranges on the same command line for example 192.168.1.20-40  then from 192.168.1.130-140 but the work around is for me to enter the command twice and append to it.

If anyone has the solution that would be awesome! If not thanks very much!! 

?

it works for me:

I use the above line of code (as is, the & sign must be present in the middle of the two commands) in a single dos line within a cmd prompt and I get the result of both nping commands in a single networklog.txt.

maybe the output file is locked in some way? try to use a new filename networklog2.txt for example

Edited by Chimp

image.jpeg.9f1a974c98e9f77d824b358729b089b0.jpeg Chimp

small minds discuss people average minds discuss events great minds discuss ideas.... and use AutoIt....

?

it works for me:

I use the above line of code (as is, the & sign must be present in the middle of the two commands) in a single dos line within a cmd prompt and I get the result of both nping commands in a single networklog.txt.

maybe the output file is locked in some way? try to use a new filename networklog2.txt for example

whao really? I still have same issue:

cmd.png

I just ran the command line "nping 192.168.1.20-40 > networklog.txt & nping 192.168.1.130-140 >> networklog.txt" on my Windows 7 machine and I didn't get that error message.

The "&" in the command line tells cmd to execute the second half of the line only after the first part of the line has completed, so there shouldn't be any reason why the file is in use.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

??

if you run the above line in 2 separate commands does it works?

nping 192.168.1.20-40 > networklog.txt
nping 192.168.1.130-140 >> networklog.txt

Yeah it does work if i run 2 seperate times. I don't know why i get that error msg if i have it on one line..it makes so sense :S 

Anyways no need to keep at this. I got my original answer to append to file so we're good.

Thanks again

Edited by User751139

• 2 years later...

I know I'm brining up a super old thread. But I just ran into this tool after years.. and need to use this again. Anyone able to tell me how I can make the script count the total IP's pinged?

As of now:

nping 192.168.1.20-40 > networklog.txt (eg: this has 20 machines)
nping 192.168.1.130-140 >> networklog.txt (eg: this has 10)

will give me the correct results of each ranges however I need to know how many in total was pinged from both of the ranges above (totalling 30 machines)

I hope that makes sense :S