Secret Santa Automation

EDIT 11/29/14: I made a huge mistake in the original as it only created pairs (i.e. if I get you - you also get me).  What I really needed was for each person to get anyone but themselves - but not necessarily create a pair.  The issue then became that if there was one person left at the end they could not get themselves.

This new version (1.1).  Does several things:

1. It creates a unique match for everyone on the list without reciprocal pairs

2. Added: deletion of blank rows before processing

3. Added checking for the word "name" in the first cell to see if headers are included

4. Sample names file included

5. GUI slightly modified

Its that time of year again.  The holidays are upon us.  Therefore, I decided to automate the creation a "secret santa" list.   These lists are popular around the holidays but usually require at least some manual labor to pair people up.  This generator takes the work out of it.  Just feed it a list of names via an Excel spreadsheet with the names populated in the first column (no blanks or headers please).  It will then generate a new file with the pairings for each name on the list.  I even paid for a graphic with usage right that is included in the zip file along with the source and Koda GUI (modified for relative file location of the image).  Enjoy.

Just the code for those that don't want the whole file:

; Secret Santa Pairing Genertaor
; Use this application to randonmly pair people for secret Santa
; All names must be entered on first col of a spreadhsheet
; no headers - no blank rows
; JFish v 1.1
;********************************

#include<Excel.au3>
#include<Array.au3>
#include <ButtonConstants.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <StaticConstants.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#Region ### START Koda GUI section ### Form=C:\Users\Jayme\Documents\Code\secret santa\secretSnataGUI2.kxf
$Form1 = GUICreate("Secret Santa List Generator v 1.1", 533, 331, 201, 124)
GUISetBkColor(0xFFFFFF)
$Button1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Select Excel File With Names", 144, 200, 233, 49)
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 8, 800, 0, "MS Sans Serif")
GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0xA6CAF0)
$Pic1 = GUICtrlCreatePic(@ScriptDir&"\400pxSecretSanata.bmp", 64, 8, 404, 172)
$Label1 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Press the above button to select an Excel file containing names in Col A", 16, 264, 507, 24)
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 400, 0, "MS Sans Serif")
$Label2 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("The software will randomly produce Secret Santa pairs  and display then in a new file", 16, 293, 502, 20)
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 10, 400, 0, "MS Sans Serif")
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
#EndRegion ### END Koda GUI section ###

func _createList()
; will be used to control the while loop - counts the number of pairs created
dim $pairs=0
; find a an Excel sheet containing names in Col 1
$path=FileOpenDialog("Select File With Secret Santa Names",@ScriptDir,"Excel (*.xl*)" )
    If @error Then
            ; Display the error message.
            MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", "No file(s) were selected.")
    else
        ; open excel file from FileOpenDialog
        GLOBAL $excel=_Excel_Open()
        Local $oWorkbook = _Excel_BookOpen($excel, $path)
        ;delete all blank rows in Col A
        $oWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Columns("A:A").SpecialCells($xlCellTypeBlanks).EntireRow.Delete
        ; find last non blank row
        $LastRow = $oWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Range("A1").SpecialCells($xlCellTypeLastCell).Row
        ;find text in cell A1 to make sure it is not a header
        Local $aResult = _Excel_RangeRead($oWorkbook, Default, "A1")
        ;non-comprehensive data check to make sure the number of names is even for pairing and A1 does not contain header
        if mod($LastRow,2)<>0 or StringInStr($aResult,"name")<>0 then
            MsgBox("","Data Error","You need to have an even number of names and the file should not contain headers")
        else
            $namesArray = _Excel_RangeRead($oWorkbook, Default, $oWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Usedrange.Columns("A:A"))
            ; close that workbook
            _Excel_BookClose($oWorkbook)

; create new 2D array to store the pairings
            dim $pairingArray[ubound($namesArray)][3]

; populate first row of new array
            For $a=0 to UBound($pairingArray)-1
                $pairingArray[$a][0]=$namesArray[$a]
            Next

; this starts a loop that will run until everyone has a pairing
            while $pairs<(UBound($pairingArray)-1)

;this loop looks for a partner for each person on the list sequesntially
                for $names=0 to UBound($pairingArray)-1
                    ;does the name have anyone assigned to it? If not then ...
                    if $pairingArray[$names][1]=="" Then
                        ;generate random number
                        local $randomNumber=round(Random(0,ubound($pairingArray)-1),0)
                            ; creates to VARs for name on list and randomly generated name used for comparison
                            $originalName=$pairingArray[$pairs][0]
                            $randomName=$pairingArray[$randomNumber][0]
                            ;checks to ensure that if only one name is left on the list without a partner that you need
                            ;to erase everything and do it again ... this one drove me CRAZY
                            if $pairs==UBound($pairingArray)-2 AND $pairingArray[UBound($pairingArray)-1][1]=="" AND $pairingArray[UBound($pairingArray)-1][2]=="" Then
                                $pairs=0
                                for $deleteNames=0 to ubound($pairingArray)-1
                                    $pairingArray[$deleteNames][1]=""
                                    $pairingArray[$deleteNames][2]=""
                                next
                                ;ConsoleWrite(@crlf&"!!!DEBUG: NEW LOOP TRIGGEED !!!")
                                ExitLoop
                            EndIf
                            ; if the name random name is the same as the person you are matching OR the person you are
                            ; attempting to match has already been assigned then keep trying ...
                            if ($originalName==$randomName) OR ($pairingArray[$randomNumber][2]=="matched") then
                                do
                                $randomNumber=round(Random(0,ubound($pairingArray)-1),0)
                                until ($pairingArray[$pairs][0]<>$pairingArray[$randomNumber][0]) AND ($pairingArray[$randomNumber][2]<>"matched")
                            Endif
                            ; random person looks good so write it to the array
                            $pairingArray[$names][1]=$pairingArray[$randomNumber][0]
                            ; mark that person as matched so we don't pick them again
                            $pairingArray[$randomNumber][2]="matched"
                            ; increment the condition for the outer while loop
                            ; in this case keep going until we have the whole list
                            $pairs+=1
                    EndIf
                next
            WEnd
            ; paste it to a new results Excel spreadsheet
            GLOBAL $resultsWorkbook=_Excel_BookNew($excel)
            _Excel_RangeWrite($resultsWorkbook,$resultsWorkbook.Activesheet,$pairingArray,"A1")
        EndIf; this one is for the even number check
    EndIf
EndFunc

While 1
    $nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
    Switch $nMsg
        case $Button1
            _createList()
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit

EndSwitch
WEnd

secretsanta1.1.zip

Edited by Jfish

Build your own poker game with AutoIt: pokerlogic.au3 | Learn To Program Using FREE Tools with AutoIt

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rskm
      Hi, I have 5 notepad files with lot of data in each of it. The data are arranged in lines and i wish to get it pasted/copied into excel.  Say, i need to read notepad1 and paste the contents into sheet1 of excel and notepad2 to sheet2 and so on.  If i read the notepad and paste it line by line, it is taking lot of time.  Is there a way by which i can paste the whole of notepad file into excel sheet(and get it pasted line by line as shown in the attached excel), instead of using code to write it line by line?.. I was using Filewriteline(data, line i) initially to write to excel.  The 'i' value was incremented with for loop and the excel was updated, but this takes lot of time.  The expected excel format is attached here.  any help is appreciated.  thanks
      Tmp.xls
    • By Hermes
      Hello, the script below will read column A from an excel file - and if a value matches in the browser, it will click the corresponding link and click on a specific button to paste the data, then writes "Completed" in Column B. It will continue to read from the excel file and do the same thing for all the remaining rows.
      #Include "Chrome.au3" #Include "wd_core.au3" #Include "wd_helper.au3" #Include "WinHttp.au3" #include <MsgBoxConstants.au3> #include <File.au3> #include <IE.au3> #include <Array.au3> #include <INet.au3> #include <AutoItConstants.au3> #include <WinAPIFiles.au3> #include <GDIPlus.au3> #include <Excel.au3> #Include "WinHttp.au3" #Include "_HtmlTable2Array.au3" Local $sDesiredCapabilities, $sSession SetupChrome() _WD_Startup() $sSession = _WD_CreateSession($sDesiredCapabilities) _WD_LoadWait($sSession) _WD_Navigate($sSession, "table1.html") _WD_LoadWait($sSession) _WD_WaitElement($sSession, $_WD_LOCATOR_ByXPath, "//table[@class='main']") Local $sElement = _WD_FindElement($sSession, $_WD_LOCATOR_ByXPath, "//table[@class='main']") ;ConsoleWrite ("mat-table " & $sElement & @CRLF) Local $aArray1 = _WD_FindElement($sSession, $_WD_LOCATOR_ByXPath, ".//td[contains(@class,'data')]", $sElement, True) sleep(1000) For $i = 0 to UBound($aArray1) - 1 $aArray1[$i] = _WD_ElementAction($sSession, $aArray1[$i], 'text') Next ;_ArrayDisplay($aArray1) ;Email variables $SmtpServer = "" ; address for the smtp-server to use - REQUIRED $FromName = "Hermes" ; name from who the email was sent $FromAddress = "sender@gmail.com" ; address from where the mail should come $ToAddress = "recipient@gmail.com" ; destination address of the email - REQUIRED, use commas (,) to add more email addresses $Subject = "File not found" ; subject from the email - can be anything you want it to be $Body = "File not found!" ; the messagebody from the mail - can be left blank but then you get a blank mail $AttachFiles = "" ; the file(s) you want to attach seperated with a ; (Semicolon) - leave blank if not needed $CcAddress = "" ; address for cc - leave blank if not needed $BccAddress = "" ; address for bcc - leave blank if not needed $Importance = "High" ; Send message priority: "High", "Normal", "Low" $Username = "" ; username for the account used from where the mail gets sent - REQUIRED $Password = "" ; password for the account used from where the mail gets sent - REQUIRED $IPPort = 25 ; port used for sending the mail $ssl = 0 ; enables/disables secure socket layer sending - put to 1 if using httpS $tls = 0 ; enables/disables TLS when required Local $oAppl = _Excel_Open() Local $sWorkbook = "c:\test.xlsx" Local $oWorkbook = _Excel_BookOpen($oAppl, $sWorkbook) ;open excel and pass both parameters If FileExists($sWorkbook) Then ;Check if the file exist. Local $oAppl = _Excel_Open() Local $sWorkbook = "c:\test.xlsx" Local $oWorkbook = _Excel_BookOpen($oAppl, $sWorkbook) ;open excel and pass both parameters Local $aArray2 = _Excel_RangeRead($oWorkbook,Default,$oWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Usedrange.Columns("A:A")) Local $iIdx Local $Skipline = 0 ;0==> first line Do Local $temprf For $i = 0 To UBound($aArray2) - 1 $temprf &= $aArray2[$i] _WD_WaitElement($sSession, $_WD_LOCATOR_ByXPath, ".//a[contains(@class,'edit') and contains(text(),'Edit')]") Local $aElement = _WD_FindElement($sSession, $_WD_LOCATOR_ByXPath, ".//a[contains(@class,'edit') and contains(text(),'Edit')]", $sElement, True) $iIdx = _ArraySearch($aArray1, $aArray2[$i]) If @error Then ContinueLoop _WD_ElementAction($sSession, $aElement[$iIdx], 'click') If $i < $Skipline Then ContinueLoop $oRange = $oWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Range("B" & $i + 1 & ":XFD" & $i + 1) _Excel_RangeCopyPaste($oWorkbook.Activesheet, $oRange) ;Paste Local $oTest4 = _WD_FindElement($sSession, $_WD_LOCATOR_ByCSSSelector, "pastebutton") _WD_ElementAction($sSession, $oTest4, 'click') Sleep(1000) ;Save Button Local $save3 = _WD_FindElement($sSession, $_WD_LOCATOR_ByCSSSelector, "button.button") _WD_ElementAction($sSession, $save3, 'click') _Excel_RangeWrite($oWorkbook, $oWorkbook.Activesheet, "Completed", "B" & $i+1) sleep(1000) Next Until (Not @error) _Excel_Close($oWorkbook) Else _INetSmtpMailCom($SmtpServer, $FromName, $FromAddress, $ToAddress, $Subject, $Body, $CcAddress, $BccAddress, $Importance, $Username, $Password, $IPPort, $ssl, $tls) Exit EndIf _WD_LoadWait($sSession) ;Attaching files to emails Func _INetSmtpMailCom($s_SmtpServer, $s_FromName, $s_FromAddress, $s_ToAddress, $s_Subject = "", $as_Body = "", $s_CcAddress = "", $s_BccAddress = "", $s_Importance="Normal", $s_Username = "", $s_Password = "", $IPPort = 25, $ssl = 0, $tls = 0) Local $objEmail = ObjCreate("CDO.Message") $objEmail.From = '"' & $s_FromName & '" <' & $s_FromAddress & '>' $objEmail.To = $s_ToAddress Local $i_Error = 0 Local $i_Error_desciption = "" If $s_CcAddress <> "" Then $objEmail.Cc = $s_CcAddress If $s_BccAddress <> "" Then $objEmail.Bcc = $s_BccAddress $objEmail.Subject = $s_Subject If StringInStr($as_Body, "<") And StringInStr($as_Body, ">") Then $objEmail.HTMLBody = $as_Body Else $objEmail.Textbody = $as_Body & @CRLF EndIf $objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Item ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusing") = 2 $objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Item ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserver") = $s_SmtpServer If Number($IPPort) = 0 then $IPPort = 25 $objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Item ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserverport") = $IPPort ;Authenticated SMTP If $s_Username <> "" Then $objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Item ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpauthenticate") = 1 $objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Item ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusername") = $s_Username $objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Item ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendpassword") = $s_Password EndIf ; Set security params If $ssl Then $objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Item ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpusessl") = True If $tls Then $objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Item ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendtls") = True ;Update settings $objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Update ; Set Email Importance Switch $s_Importance Case "High" $objEmail.Fields.Item ("urn:schemas:mailheader:Importance") = "High" Case "Normal" $objEmail.Fields.Item ("urn:schemas:mailheader:Importance") = "Normal" Case "Low" $objEmail.Fields.Item ("urn:schemas:mailheader:Importance") = "Low" EndSwitch $objEmail.Fields.Update ; Sent the Message $objEmail.Send $objEmail="" EndFunc ;==>_INetSmtpMailCom Local $aDir = _FileListToArrayRec(@TempDir, "scoped_dir*;chrome_*", $FLTAR_FOLDERS, $FLTAR_NORECUR, $FLTAR_NOSORT, $FLTAR_FULLPATH) Sleep(2000) For $i = 1 To $aDir[0] DirRemove($aDir[$i], $DIR_REMOVE) Next _WD_LoadWait($sSession) _WD_Shutdown() Func SetupChrome() _WD_Option('Driver', 'chromedriver.exe') _WD_Option('Port', 9515) _WD_Option('DriverParams', '--log-path="' & @ScriptDir & '\chrome.log"') $sDesiredCapabilities = '{"capabilities": {"alwaysMatch": {"goog:chromeOptions": {"w3c": true, "args":["start-maximized","disable-infobars"]}}}}' EndFunc ;==>SetupChrome If the excel file doesn't exists in the folder, it will send an email to a specific recipient.
      What i am trying figure out now is if the excel crashes while the script/loop is running, I want to relaunch the excel file continue to the last row before the excel crashed. So if the value of column B is not marked as "completed", it should continue from that row
      Appreciate any help that I can get to achieve this.
      table1.html test.xlsx
    • By robertocm
      change linked image paths in excel 2007 Open XML Files with AutoIt and 7-zip:
      #include <File.au3> #include <WinAPIFiles.au3> ;Required 7-zip Global $Path7z = @ProgramFilesDir & "\7-Zip" If Not FileExists($Path7z & "\7z.exe") Then MsgBox(16, "", "7z.exe not found in path " & $Path7z) Exit EndIf Global $bFileOpen Global $sFileRead ;Global $sOldImg = "C:\Users\MyUserName\Documents\MyImageFolder" ;Global $sNewImg = "C:\Users\ANOTHERUSERNAME\Documents\AnotherImageFolder" Global $sOldImg = "C:\Users\MyUserName\Documents\MyImageFolder\My%20Image1.png" Global $sNewImg = "C:\Users\ANOTHERUSERNAME\Documents\AnotherImageFolder\My%20Image1.png" Global $sFileSelectFolder = FileSelectFolder("Directory to change excel image paths", "") Global $sTempDir = @ScriptDir & "\TempDir" Global $sFileCoreXml = $sTempDir & "\docProps\core.xml" If FileExists($sTempDir) Then DirRemove($sTempDir, $DIR_REMOVE) ;Look for excel files in selected directory and subdirectories Global $aFileList = _FileListToArrayRec($sFileSelectFolder, "*.xls*", $FLTAR_FILES, $FLTAR_RECUR, $FLTAR_NOSORT, $FLTAR_FULLPATH) If Not @error Then For $i = 1 To $aFileList[0] ;Discard some kind of temp files (locked files from antivirus?) If StringLeft($aFileList[$i], 1) = "~" Then ContinueLoop $bFileOpen = _WinAPI_FileInUse($aFileList[$i]) If $bFileOpen = 0 Then ;use x command to keep the folder stucture, -aoa Overwrite All existing files without prompt, use -r to unzip the subfolders from the zip file RunWait('"' & $Path7z & '\7z.exe" x -aoa -r -y "' & $aFileList[$i] & '" -o"' & $sTempDir & '"', $Path7z, @SW_HIDE) If FileExists($sFileCoreXml) Then $sFileRead = FileRead($sFileCoreXml) If __ReplaceImagePaths($sTempDir, $sOldImg, $sNewImg) = 1 Then Consolewrite("--> Image path replaced in file: " & $aFileList[$i] & @CRLF) EndIf ;Help File 7-zip.chm 'Switch can be used in any place in command line' RunWait('"' & $Path7z & '\7z.exe" a -r -tzip -y "' & $aFileList[$i] & '" "' & $sTempDir & '\*"', $Path7z, @SW_HIDE) Else If FileExists($sTempDir & "\EncryptedPackage") Then Consolewrite("Error password protected file: " & $aFileList[$i] & @CRLF) EndIf DirRemove($sTempDir, $DIR_REMOVE) Else Consolewrite("Error Locked file: " & $aFileList[$i] & @CRLF) EndIf Next Else MsgBox(16, "Error", "No excel files were found in the folder") EndIf Func __ReplaceImagePaths($sTempDir, $sFind, $sReplace) ;List all files with .xml.rels extension in the directory \xl\drawings\_rels Local $aFileListDrw = _FileListToArray($sTempDir & "\xl\drawings\_rels", "*.xml.rels", 1, True) If @error = 1 Then ;MsgBox (0, "", "Path was invalid") SplashTextOn("Title", "Path was invalid", -1, -1, -1, -1, 1, "", 24) Sleep(2000) SplashOff() Exit EndIf If @error = 4 Then ;MsgBox (0, "No files", "No files were found") SplashTextOn("Title", "No files were found", -1, -1, -1, -1, 1, "", 24) Sleep(2000) SplashOff() Exit EndIf Local $iRetval ;Loop through the array For $i = 1 To $aFileListDrw[0] $iRetval = _ReplaceStringInFile($aFileListDrw[$i], $sFind, $sReplace) Next If Not $iRetval = -1 Then Return 1 EndFunc  
      Some references:
      https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37145369/change-path-to-picture-links-in-excel http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/Excel2007FileFormat.asp EDITED:
      Note: it seems that if User Account Control (UAC) is enabled then 7zip is unable to overwrite the destination file (using the same name).
      In this case, a possible solution would be to rename the original excel file before (see _PathSplit in help file).
      In my case i prefer just to disable UAC
    • By Hermes
      My _Excel_RangeCopyPaste is not working as intended. What I am trying to accomplish is copy the range B:E using _Excel_RangeCopyPaste in the first row and repeat the same for row 2 and so on.
      ;Skip from reading header columns Local $Skipline = 0 ;0==> first line Local $temprf For $i = 0 To UBound($aArray2) - 1 If $Skipline = $i Then ContinueLoop $temprf &= $aArray2[$i] _Excel_RangeCopyPaste($oWorkbook.Activesheet, $oRange) Local $oTest = _WD_FindElement($sSession, $_WD_LOCATOR_ByCSSSelector, "PasteButton") ;This button will paste values from the Clipboard once clicked _WD_ElementAction($sSession, $oTest, 'click')) Next Here's the full code:
      #Include <Chrome.au3> #Include <wd_core.au3> #Include <wd_helper.au3> #Include <WinHttp.au3> #include <MsgBoxConstants.au3> #include <IE.au3> #include <Array.au3> #include <Excel.au3> Local $sDesiredCapabilities, $sSession SetupChrome() _WD_Startup() $sSession = _WD_CreateSession($sDesiredCapabilities) _WD_LoadWait($sSession) _WD_Navigate($sSession, "test.html") Local $oAppl = _Excel_Open() Local $sWorkbook = "test.xlsx" Local $oWorkbook = _Excel_BookOpen($oAppl, $sWorkbook) ;open excel and pass both parameters Local $aArray2 = _Excel_RangeRead($oWorkbook,Default,$oWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Usedrange.Columns("A:A")) Local $oRange = $oWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Range("B:E") ;Skip from reading header columns Local $Skipline = 0 ;0==> first line Local $temprf For $i = 0 To UBound($aArray2) - 1 If $Skipline = $i Then ContinueLoop $temprf &= $aArray2[$i] _Excel_RangeCopyPaste($oWorkbook.Activesheet, $oRange) Local $oTest = _WD_FindElement($sSession, $_WD_LOCATOR_ByCSSSelector, "PasteButton") ;This button will paste values from the Clipboard once clicked _WD_ElementAction($sSession, $oTest, 'click')) Next _WD_Shutdown() Func SetupChrome() _WD_Option('Driver', 'chromedriver.exe') _WD_Option('Port', 9515) _WD_Option('DriverParams', '--log-path="' & @ScriptDir & '\chrome.log"') Return '{"capabilities":{"alwaysMatch":{"goog:chromeOptions":{"w3c":true,' & _ '"excludeSwitches":["enable-automation"],"useAutomationExtension":false}}}}' EndFunc ;==>SetupChrome For the first row I am trying to copy just B:E with the following info
      Apple Banana Orange Mango and then repeat for row 2, row 3, etc. I've attached the spreadhseet.
      test.xlsxI have also attached the excel file for reference.
    • By Rskm
      Hi, My autoit program generates excel output file.  How do i set the author name for this excel file. thanks