change wallpaper by registry

faustf

hi guy

i have a  questions  i wannt  change  my wallpaper  by script 

i  put  in variable  my  path-image.jpg   and  delete  the  registry  key

RegDelete("HKEY_CURRENT_USERControl PanelDesktop", "Wallpaper")

and  after   write  registry key  with  new  image

RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USERControl PanelDesktop","Wallpaper","REG_SZ",$path_save & $nome_immagine[5])

in registry  change  a  path and  all is ok

but  my desktop remaning with  thesame  foto

if  i restar pc i have  with  desktop only  blue color

someone  have  suggestions? ?

thankz  :)

_WinAPI_SystemParametersInfo is probably what you are looking for with SPI_GETDESKWALLPAPER

Here's an example I wrote recently that changes a mouse cursor.

#RequireAdmin
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>
#include <WinAPI.au3>
#include <WinAPIsysinfoConstants.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

HotKeySet("{ESC}","Terminate")
HotKeySet("{F3}","ToggleCursor")
Global $NewCursor

Global $OriginalCursor = RegRead("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Cursors", "Arrow");Read the original cursor value
Global $RegKeyCursor1= "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Cursors";Location of the cursor info in the registry

While 1
    Sleep(100)
WEnd

Func ToggleCursor()
    $NewCursor = NOT $NewCursor
    RegWrite($RegKeyCursor1,"Arrow","REG_EXPAND_SZ","%SystemRoot%\cursors\aero_ew.cur");Change the cursor value in the registry
    _WinAPI_SystemParametersInfo($SPI_SETCURSORS, 0);Refresh the mouse settings used in the registry
    While $NewCursor;loop
        Sleep(100);loop
    WEnd;loop
    RegWrite($RegKeyCursor1,"Arrow","REG_EXPAND_SZ",$OriginalCursor);Restore the original mouse value in the registry
    _WinAPI_SystemParametersInfo($SPI_SETCURSORS, 0);Refresh the mouse settings used in the registry
EndFunc

Func Terminate()
    Exit 0
EndFunc
Edited by computergroove

Get Scite to add a popup when you use a 3rd party UDF -> http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/scite/docs/SciTE4AutoIt3/user-calltip-manager.html

i tryed  to use 

RegDelete("HKEY_CURRENT_USERControl PanelDesktop", "Wallpaper")
RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USERControl PanelDesktop","Wallpaper","REG_SZ",$path_save & $nome_immagine[5])
 _WinAPI_SystemParametersInfo($SPI_SETCURSORS, 0)

but  nothing  happen :(

Its not a simple thing

Original authors i think were Smoke N and trancexx

#include <GDIPlus.au3>
#include <Misc.au3>

_ChangeWallpaper($dest_dir & "\1920x1080.jpg", 2)

Func _ChangeWallpaper($sFile, $iType) ; XP and below converts jpg to bmp
    Local $apos, $bpos, $sFileName, $hImage, $sCLSID
    ; Changes the wallpaper to $sFileName using $iType as:
    ; 1 Tiled
    ; 2 Centered
    ; 3 Stretched
    ; any other value (usually 0) unchanged
    ;
    ; Returns
    ; 0 if everything is allright.
    ; -1 if $sFile does not exist. @error is set to 1
    ; -2 if $sFile is not bmp or jpg file. @error is set to 2
    If Not FileExists($sFile) Then
        SetError(1)
        Return -1
    EndIf
    $apos = StringInStr($sFile, "\", 0, -1)
    $bpos = StringInStr($sFile, ".", 0, -1)
    $sFileName = StringMid($sFile, $apos + 1, $bpos - $apos - 1)
    If Not StringRight($sFile, 3) = "jpg" Or Not StringRight($sFile, 3) = "bmp" Then
        SetError(2)
        Return -2
    EndIf
    Select
        Case $iType = 1
            RegWrite('HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop', 'TileWallpaper', 'reg_sz', '1')
            RegWrite('HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop', 'WallpaperStyle', 'reg_sz', '0')
        Case $iType = 2
            RegWrite('HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop', 'TileWallpaper', 'reg_sz', '0')
            RegWrite('HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop', 'WallpaperStyle', 'reg_sz', '0')
        Case $iType = 3
            RegWrite('HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop', 'TileWallpaper', 'reg_sz', '0')
            RegWrite('HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop', 'WallpaperStyle', 'reg_sz', '2')
        Case Else
    EndSelect
        If $OS = "V-" Then
            If StringRight($sFile, 3) = "jpg" Then
            _GDIPlus_Startup()
            $hImage = _GDIPlus_ImageLoadFromFile($sFile)
            $sCLSID = _GDIPlus_EncodersGetCLSID("BMP")
            _GDIPlus_ImageSaveToFileEx($hImage, $dest_dir & "\" & $sFileName & ".bmp", $sCLSID)
            _GDIPlus_Shutdown()
            $sFile = $dest_dir & "\" & $sFileName & ".bmp"
        EndIf
            Sleep(500)
            RegWrite('HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop', 'Wallpaper', 'reg_sz', $sFile)
            DllCall("user32", "int", "SystemParametersInfo", "int", 20, "int", 0, "str", $sFile, "int", 0)
        Else
            Sleep(500)
            RegWrite('HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop', 'Wallpaper', 'reg_sz', $sFile)
            DllCall("user32", "int", "SystemParametersInfo", "int", 20, "int", 0, "str", $sFile, "int", 0)
        EndIf
    ; Convert jpg to bmp
;~  If StringRight($sFile, 3) = "jpg" Then
;~      _GDIPlus_Startup()
;~      $hImage = _GDIPlus_ImageLoadFromFile($sFile)
;~      $sCLSID = _GDIPlus_EncodersGetCLSID("BMP")
;~      _GDIPlus_ImageSaveToFileEx($hImage, @TempDir & "\" & $sFileName & ".bmp", $sCLSID)
;~      _GDIPlus_Shutdown()
;~      $sFile = @TempDir & "\" & $sFileName & ".bmp"
;~  EndIf
;~  Sleep(500)
;~  RegWrite('HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop', 'Wallpaper', 'reg_sz', $sFile)
;~  DllCall("user32", "int", "SystemParametersInfo", "int", 20, "int", 0, "str", $sFile, "int", 0)
EndFunc   ;==>_ChangeWallpaper

It is modified but you should get the idea

Edited by Chimaera

I thought it was more obvious to everyone with the example. Try the following:

RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop","Wallpaper","REG_SZ",$path_save & $nome_immagine[5])
_WinAPI_SystemParametersInfo($SPI_GETDESKWALLPAPER, 0)

Get Scite to add a popup when you use a 3rd party UDF -> http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/scite/docs/SciTE4AutoIt3/user-calltip-manager.html

so i tryed  just in this  mode 

_WinAPI_SystemParametersInfo($SPI_GETDESKWALLPAPER, 0)

but  dont  go
if i  open Control PanelAppearance and PersonalizationPersonalization
i see a  unsaved  theme  with  my  backgraound  ,  but  nothing  remaning old  foto

but  i  think , i do a  questions , but  is probably win7  for change desktop you must create a theme pocket and   run  it ?

for  me is not  correct  the  notice 

because   the  real sources of  foto  is  C:WindowsWebWallpapernature , architect  ............
and  when  you change a desktop  background  windows  delete a  file foto in folder @AppDataDir&"MicrosoftWindowsThemesTranscodedWallpaper.jpg and copy a  new foto  in the same folder  with the same name
therfore  is not important  change  this  key 

because  you can   copy and rename a foto

but  dont go the same >_< >_< >_<

Edited by faustf

Sorry I used the wrong SPI parameter

_WinAPI_SystemParametersInfo($SPI_SETDESKWALLPAPER, 0)

I tested the above with a direct path name and it works perfectly.

Edited by computergroove

;Script to toggle the background wallpaper. Tested working on Windows 7 Pro x64
;F3 Toggles the background image. Script doesn't save original desktop wallpaper.

#RequireAdmin
#include <WinAPI.au3>

HotKeySet("{F3}","ToggleWallpaper")
Global $Wallpaper

Global $Background1 = @ScriptDir & "Picture1.jpg";<- You need to add a picture to this location or change the location
Global $Background2 = @ScriptDir & "Picture2.jpg";Ditto

While 1
    Sleep(100)
WEnd

Func ToggleWallpaper()
    $Wallpaper = NOT $Wallpaper
        RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop","Wallpaper","REG_SZ",$Background1)
    While $Wallpaper;loop
        Sleep(100);loop
    WEnd;loop
        RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop","Wallpaper","REG_SZ",$Background2)
EndFunc

Func Terminate()
    Exit 0
EndFunc

Open regedit and browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USERControl PanelDesktop and manually change the value for the item "Wallpaper" to a full file path that you know has a different jpg wallpaper and click OK (DO NOT USE AN ARRAY HERE YET) and then run the following in autoit:

#RequireAdmin
#include <WinAPI.au3>

The background should change instantly. If the full path isnt right in the wallpaper path in the registry then the wallpaper wont change. You must have the correct path to the jpg file for your registry entry. What happens?

Edited  by computergroove

Try a ProcessClose on Explorer.exe and then restart it, see if that works.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

;Script to toggle the background wallpaper. Tested working on Windows 7 Pro x64
;F3 Toggles the background image. Script doesn't save original desktop wallpaper.

#RequireAdmin
#include <WinAPI.au3>

HotKeySet("{F3}","ToggleWallpaper")
Global $Wallpaper

Global $Background1 = @ScriptDir & "Picture1.jpg";<- You need to add a picture to this location or change the location
Global $Background2 = @ScriptDir & "Picture2.jpg";Ditto

While 1
    Sleep(100)
WEnd

Func ToggleWallpaper()
    $Wallpaper = NOT $Wallpaper
        RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop","Wallpaper","REG_SZ",$Background1)
    While $Wallpaper;loop
        Sleep(100);loop
    WEnd;loop
        RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop","Wallpaper","REG_SZ",$Background2)
EndFunc

Func Terminate()
    Exit 0
EndFunc

I made a mistake in my code. You need to add a "" in front of the picture1 and picture2

Global $Background1 = @ScriptDir & "\Picture1.jpg";<- You need to add a picture to this location or change the location
Global $Background2 = @ScriptDir & "\Picture2.jpg";Ditto

It works for me in vb. If you PM me I can teamviewer into your Virtual machine and take a look. or skype me username william walker

Edited by computergroove