Can't wrap my head around the wiki interrupt code, please explain

Hello!

I already posted a question like this, but I think that I wrote it down the wrong way, and the questions in it was of a too broad spectrum, too general.

I try to create an interrupt function, I run my functions OnEventMode, from the main code, using flags to check if a functions should run or not. I'm pretty sure that the wiki (https://www.autoitscript.com/wiki/Interrupting_a_running_function) has it right, I found Melba queting it exactly in an older thread () , but I still dont understand how do I initiate the interrupt it self, or how does it stop the function exactly.

The part I dont understand: (as posted by Melba23)

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>

; Declare a flag
Global $fRunOne = False

Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1)

$hGUI = GUICreate("Test", 500, 500)
GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, "_Exit")

$hButton_1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Func One", 10, 10, 80, 30)
GUICtrlSetOnEvent($hButton_1, "_Func_1")
$hButton_2 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Func Two", 10, 50, 80, 30)
GUICtrlSetOnEvent($hButton_2, "_Func_2")

GUISetState()

While 1
    Sleep(10)
    ; Check if the flag has been set by the OnEvent function
    If $fRunOne Then
        ; Now start the "real" function from within the main code
        _Func_1_Run()
    EndIf
WEnd

Func _Func_1()
    ; Set the flag within the OnEvent function
    $fRunOne = True
EndFunc   ;==>_Func_1

Func _Func_1_Run()
    For $i = 1 To 20
        ConsoleWrite("-Func 1 Running" & @CRLF)
        If $fRunOne = False Then ; Check if the flag is cleared <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
            ConsoleWrite(">Func 1 Ended Prematurely" & @CRLF)
            Return
        EndIf
        Sleep(100)
    Next
    ConsoleWrite(">Func 1 Ended" & @CRLF)
    Global $fRunOne = False
EndFunc   ;==>_Func_1_Run

Func _Func_2()
    $fRunOne = False ; Clear the flag <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    For $i = 1 To 3
        ConsoleWrite("+Func 2 Running" & @CRLF)
        Sleep(100)
    Next
    ConsoleWrite(">Func 2 Ended" & @CRLF)
EndFunc   ;==>_Func_2

Func _Exit()
    Exit
EndFunc   ;==>_Exit

- Does the ConsoleWrite stops the function with a command to STDOUT? like the ConsoleWrite(">Func 1 Ended Prematurely" & @CRLF) ?

- How do we initiate the stop?I just dont see where do we change the fRunOne to False

I understand the general idea written on the wiki, and what I found in the forum, but can't seem to implement it, I'm pretty sure that I'm missing some small but crucial point

Here is my code I try to interrupt for now (I'm certain that if I can manage it with the test, I can implement it with my other functions)

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1)

Global $fTestRun = False
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $GUIform)
;GUI is created with ISN AutoIt Studio

Func Test
Do
If $fTestRun = False Then ;ExitLoop?
            ConsoleWrite(">Test Ended Prematurely" & @CRLF)
            Return
        EndIf
MsgBox(0, "Sooo programing", "Much Clever, seems so working")
Sleep(2000)
            Return
        EndIf
MsgBox(0, "Teszt", "ExitLoop solution?")
Sleep(2000)
            Return
        EndIf
MsgBox(0, "Teszt", "Nice try, but nope")
$fTestRun = False
Until 1
EndFunc ;==>Test

Func TestRun()
$fTestRun = True
EndFunc   ;==>TestRun

While 1
Sleep(50)
If $fTestRun Then
Test()
EndIf
WEnd
 (Tried to edit it in to the Autoit bracket, it seems like it's in it from editor, but not in the post, sorry)

I don't really understand the goal of the For... Next in Melba23's code, is it just a way to test it? (since the function runs a coupe of times this way)

Thank you for your insight and happy holidays

Edited by SorryButImaNewbie

Okey, so I started to implement it because it worked, but that time still didn't realize how. With some testing and tweeking I just realize that the Return is the one actually "cancelling a function" as it basicly takes the code back to "nothing" and that takes it to the while...WEnd code thingy which runs while nothing happens in the GUI

So the actuall interrupt can be just simply

If $function = False Then   
Return
EndIf

It works, I see that but is it working because what I tried to describe above or for something else?

Edited by SorryButImaNewbie

You're initiating the stop function (func 2) by clicking the func 2 button, which makes the $fRunOne flag False, so when we leave func 2 we go back into func 1 to finish, but since the flag is set to false, it will initiate these lines:

If $fRunOne = False Then ; Check if the flag is cleared <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
  ConsoleWrite(">Func 1 Ended Prematurely" & @CRLF)
  Return
EndIf

and interrupt func 1.

Edited by MikahS

Snips & Scripts

My Snips: graphCPUTemp ~ getENVvars
My Scripts: Short-Order Encrypter - message and file encryption V1.6.1 ~ AuPad - Notepad written entirely in AutoIt V1.9.4

Feel free to use any of my code for your own use.                                                                                                                                                           Forum FAQ

I use this in most of my scripts to stop or exit based on a key press which is really useful for looping scripts that take over your mouse because if you cant stop the script then you might have to reboot to regain control over your computer.

;The Pause key on the keyboard will pause or unpause your script
;Esc will exit your script

Global $Paused
HotKeySet("{PAUSE}", "TogglePause")
HotKeySet("{ESC}", "Terminate")
$Paused = $Paused
send("{pause}");Start the script paused

While 1

Wend

Func TogglePause()
    $Paused = NOT $Paused
    While $Paused
        sleep(100)
        ToolTip('Script is "Paused"',0,0)
    WEnd
    ToolTip("")
EndFunc

Func Terminate()
    Exit 0
EndFunc

This will pause or exit your script but will not stop any external running processes.

Get Scite to add a popup when you use a 3rd party UDF -> http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/scite/docs/SciTE4AutoIt3/user-calltip-manager.html

• Moderators

SorryButImaNewbie,

How many more threads are you intending to start on this subject? :huh:

You are correct that all you need to do in the function to be interrupted is look for a flag at intervals - the code I suggested in >your last thread looked for the flag during a pause (replacing the normal Sleep function). :)

But the problem is getting the flag to change when you action a GUI control (rather then a Hotkey). As explained in the Interrupting a running function tutorial in the Wiki, in most cases AutoIt needs to exit the running function before it will run another (the exception is an OnEvent function run from the main loop as I showed in the code to which I have just linked) - which rather defeats the required behaviour of interrupting it! This means that you need to use a Windows message handler to intercept the control being actioned - basically peeking at it being actioned rather then leaving the event in the message queue to be actioned in its turn by AutoIt when the current function has ended. Hence the apparently complex code in the Wiki examples - it is not there to show how clever I am. ;)

Does that help clear the fog a bit. :huh:

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area