So many help files, some guidance please :)

Hello,

Right so basically I've been fooling around with some scripting teaching myself as I go. There is something I need to write for work but at the moment I'm having trouble in the planning phase. First I'll tell you what I'm planning to do, then hopefully somebody can give me some guidance on where I should start reading in the help files to learn about this particular piece of code.

Basically I am wanting to generate a program that will be stored on my office server computer. It is for the purpose of monitoring staff workloads, assigning tasks to employees and archiving tasks as they are completed. Basic layout and such I can handle, and my current knowledge of AutoIT is okay (I learn really fast once I've got the right helpfiles to refer to.) I guess the actual components I'd need to work out would be the following:

- (Possibly) Login capabilities for up to 5 different users.

- Multiple users able to access at one time

- Multi-tab display for better accessibility

- Generate effectively what is a "TO DO" List for all 5 users viewable individually and in an Overview tab to show all outstanding tasks. 

- Stores data input by users. 

- data input by multi-users to the same location simultaneously will need to added to the list consecutively to avoid unintentional overwriting.

- Overview tab to show all outstanding tasks. 

Now I don't need anybody to write the script for me :P What's the point of trying to learn if that's all I want? hehe If anybody could provide me with maybe a list of the help files that will help for this particular set of tasks I would be VERY VERY Appreciative.

Yours Sincerely.

Matt

Autoit is not sql but it does interact with sql. It sounds like youll need some kind of database solution where multiple people can interact with the same files at the same time. That's basically what sql is. I will recommend that you use something that is already working like google calender.

Get Scite to add a popup when you use a 3rd party UDF -> http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/scite/docs/SciTE4AutoIt3/user-calltip-manager.html

What you are wanting to do, is relatively complex.

Depending on the size and requirements of the eventual database, you may be better served looking in the direction CG (above) indicated.

However, if it is just a modest affair, and if I were to do it myself, I would probably use a shared INI file (or registry, XML, etc) and a main execution program.

That main program would execute another sub program after renaming it to the current user, then exit, leaving the sub program running. Each user gets their own named sub (copy of) program.

The sub program, would get all current values on start up, and then before committing to any of that user's changes, compare current state to last known state (startup, updated, etc). Where there is a conflict, you would be advised of the change, and it would wait a response, before updating. Etc etc.

That all sounds simple enough, until you look more deeply into it and the various possibilities to have larger conflicts.

So, I wouldn't call it a beginner project. You need to foresee a lot.

Edited by TheSaint

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png