If Excel window exists

I'm wondering if there is a way to attach to an open excel object. I've been trying to do this:

$test=ObjGet("", "Excel.Application")
$test.Workbook.Close

But I get an error on the close command. I've also tried it without Workbook and it still errors.

What I'm really trying to do is attach to a specific instance of excel (based on a window name or file name or something) and then save it and close it. Anyone have suggestions?

I think I might have something that can help. I have a script that runs a spreadsheet in the background and when it's done it gets saved. I had to check for the object to make it work.

;Setting up the workbook
$oExcel = ObjCreate("Excel.Application")
$oBook = $oExcel.Workbooks.Open(@ScriptDir & "\..\Spreadsheet.xlsx")
$oExcel.Visible = False ;Invisible Excel!

;Stuff

;Here is where I checked for the object before saving and closing.
If IsObj($oExcel) Then _Excel_BookSave($oBook)
If @error Then MsgBox(64, "", "Unable to save  spreadsheet.")

If IsObj($oExcel) Then _Excel_Close($oExcel, True, True)
If @error Then MsgBox(64, "", "Unable to close  spreadsheet.")

Let the fun begin!

Edited by Bearpocalypse

I'm trying to avoid closing other instances so I'm really looking to attach to a window or filename. This is for a calendar for vacation days that I'm working on. I want to make sure that if they open the file, that they don't already have it open, but I don't want to close any other instances of Excel. So if someone was working on an excel file and then remembered they needed to put in their vacation days, it wouldn't close the other excel file on them. This is how I have my startup on the script:

If WinExists("[CLASS:XLMAIN]","Vacation Calendar") Then
    $test=ObjGet("", "Excel.Application")
    $reopen=MsgBox(4,"Oops..", "It appears you already have the speadsheet open. Would you like to save and reopen the file?")
    If $reopen=6 Then
        MsgBox(0,"Oops..", "Trying to save... but I dont know how...")
                $test.Workbook.Close
    Else
        Exit
    EndIf
    $test.Workbook.Close
EndIf
Edited by Jewtus

Please have a look at the Excel UDF in combination with ProcessExist.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Please have a look at the Excel UDF in combination with ProcessExist.

I was actually trying to use _Excel_BookAttach, but I keep getting an error on the line:

$oWorkbook = ObjGet("", $sCLSID_Workbook, $iCount + 1)

I'm assuming it relates to the $sCLSID_Workbook variable, but I don't know exactly what is going on. The error description is "Unknown name".

I've tried using Filename, filepath, and title and I get the same result on all of them.

EDIT:

Scratch that. I looked at my process list and there were about a hundred instances of EXCEL.exe so I closed them all and it worked without issue.

Edited by Jewtus

Oh how I don't miss that when I was working on my thing.

What are you talking about :huh:

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

When you run _Excel_BookList you get a list of workbooks in all running Excel instances. Loop through the array and select the needed workbook, then use _Excel_BookAttach to connect to this workbooks and save/close them if needed.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I ended up going with this:

If ProcessExists('EXCEL.EXE') Then
        $reopen=MsgBox(4,"Oops..", "It appears you already have the speadsheet open. Would you like to save and reopen the file?")
        If $reopen=6 Then
            $oExcel2=_Excel_BookAttach($filePath,'filepath')
            $oExcel2.Save
            $oExcel2.close
        Else
            WinActivate("[CLASS:XLMAIN]","Vacation Calendar")
            Exit
        EndIf
    EndIf
EndIf

Only thing I need to figure out is how to close that excel instance... What it does now is close the workbook, but leaves that instance of excel open.

Use something like this:

If ProcessExists('EXCEL.EXE') Then
        If $reopen=6 Then
            $oWorkbook=_Excel_BookAttach($filePath,'filepath')
            $oWorkbook.Save()
            $oWorkbook.Close()
            _Excel_Close($oWorkbook.Parent)
        Else
            WinActivate("[CLASS:XLMAIN]","Vacation Calendar")
            Exit
        EndIf
    EndIf
EndI

What your script still needs is some type of error checking after each action with Excel.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki