Something strange (I think)

Hello all,

I am looking to create a small program of some type (scripting is an option) that I can setup to require a restart and deploy through WSUS. The point of it is just to force a reboot at the end of a maintenance window so I would just increment the version each time it is "installed" to have the systems (Microsoft Servers) reboot. I can't seem to find anything in compile that I can select to tell the system that the program requires a restart. Am I missing something or is this not possible?

Thanks,

Tom

• Moderators

It is completely possible, but I would ask first how you're managing your updates today? If you're using automated deployment of updates to servers through a management tool such as SCCM, SolarWinds products, etc. then there is already a mechanism in place to do this.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Ok, so this has morphed to an app that can be unistalled that we will use to drop some scripts and reg key updates. We will use a script the app drops to remove the app after the maintenance window ends so it will be avalible again during the next update session. We do not need to worry about the app requiring a restart, we are going to do that with a reg key change using the script the app drops instead. So I just need to compile to be able to remove using an uninstaller and show in add/remove programs. Any tutorials for that? I normally just drop a script with my stuff, I don't actually do installs or uninstalls. I love active projects!:)

Thanks for the help!!!

• Moderators

I would create your app, and then use something free like Wix, AdvancedInstaller or NSIS to create a Windows Installer that will insert all the correct Add/Remove and registry info for you.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!