Did anyone do a post-installation verifier ?

Myicq

I have a need to verify an installation of a quite complex software, consisting of several files, directories and registry settings. After installation, or when customers install themselves, I would like to verify the installation. Mainly doing these actions:

• Check file(s) present as they should be
  • Compare MD5 checksum of files
  • Read and compare DLL file version (as listed in "properties" on DLL)
  • Check registry values are set as should be
  • Check paths of source files and ini files - the may have been copied from previous installations

I would imagine something like that has been done already, so to avoid re-inventing the wheel, first the open question: did anyone do something like this ?

Goal is to have a report of some kind, perhaps a binary OK or not ok.

If not, I will have a go at it, of course in AutoIT. Ideas are welcome btw!

I am just a hobby programmer, and nothing great to publish right now.

John, of course you are right, and I did not expect that. My plan is to have a button to "teach files" in a directory.  Sorry for not making that clear :)

There are plenty of "compare directories" software out there, but I think they all require two "live" directories. My take is to make an "image" of a directory (metadata), then compare current content.

I am just a hobby programmer, and nothing great to publish right now.

You can output all the file data you need into an xml file, and then loop through that and verify that everything is correct in your 'live' dir.

IEbyXPATH-Grab IE DOM objects by XPATH IEscriptRecord-Makings of an IE script recorder ExcelFromXML-Create Excel docs without excel installed GetAllWindowControls-Output all control data on a given window.

• Moderators

I typically break my install into pieces, and do one "tag" file for each piece. For example, with the following install:

1. Middleware product just as Java
  2. Main Application
  3. Security Change
  4. Directory Change

I would usually do something like this:

1. Capture return output from Middleware, through the setup.exe/MSI itself or watching the Event Viewer. Given a successful install, drop my first tag file in a temp directory.
  2. Capture return output from Main App, same process as above. If this is not a true application, but just a bunch of file copy and registry functions, I would drop my tag file last - if error checking at any point fails, the tag file does not drop.
  3. Simple error checking for 3 and 4; if no errors, drop the tag files.
  4. Cleanup function runs last, confirms presence of all tag files. If successful, it deletes. Otherwise, return nature and point of the failure.

Often I will bundle everything (except the middleware) into a single MSI for better reporting.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!