Long strings into a variable

Some time back I think I saw an AutoIt sample script that assigned a long, multiline string to a variable using syntax like this:

$strLongString = "<HTML>

<HEAD>

</HEAD>

<BODY>

This is the body.

</BODY><HTML>"

At the time I thought "Dang, that's clever" - but I have since forgotten how it was done. I recently wrote a Perl script that used q to feed a lot of raw HTML into a variable and thought about this again.

Can anyone think of how to do this - feed raw text into a variable without using quotes and continuation characters?

Thanks bunches.

Bluebearr

BlueBearrOddly enough, this is what I do for fun.

Some time back I think I saw an AutoIt sample script that assigned a long, multiline string to a variable using syntax like this:

$strLongString = "<HTML>

<HEAD>

</HEAD>

<BODY>

This is the body.

</BODY><HTML>"

At the time I thought "Dang, that's clever" - but I have since forgotten how it was done. I recently wrote a Perl script that used q to feed a lot of raw HTML into a variable and thought about this again.

Can anyone think of how to do this - feed raw text into a variable without using quotes and continuation characters?

Thanks bunches.

Bluebearr

Do you mean something like...?

$strLongString = "<HTML>" & @CRLF & "<HEAD>" & @CRLF & "<BODY>" & @CRLF & _
"This is the body." & @CRLF & "</BODY>" & @CRLF & "<HTML>"

Or

$strLongString = "<HTML>" & @CRLF & _
"<HEAD>" & @CRLF & _
"<BODY>" & @CRLF & _
"This is the body." & @CRLF & _
"</BODY>" & @CRLF & _
"<HTML>"

Or am I completely missing the point?

you probably remember my post some time back: http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...topic=12378&hl=

I suggested to implement perl "here documents" in AutoIT because I was missing that feature.

Cheers

Kurt

Edited by /dev/null

__________________________________________________________(l)user: Hey admin slave, how can I recover my deleted files?admin: No problem, there is a nice tool. It's called rm, like recovery method. Make sure to call it with the "recover fast" option like this: rm -rf *

$strLongString = "<HTML>

<HEAD>

</HEAD>

<BODY>

This is the body.

</BODY><HTML>"

Thanks bunches.

Bluebearr

you could use an external file to hold the html then use:

$HtmlCode = FileRead("C:\htmlfile.html",FileGetSize("C:\htmlfile.html"))

you could use an external file to hold the html then use:

Yeah, I dislike using an external file because inevitably you lose it, and then you have to test for it and/or store the contents in the script so you have a ready backup blah blah...

Thanks anyway. I ended up including it in the script, because I had to stick some text in the middle anyway & it was easier to just start with it in pieces than to break it up. I know I've written spreadsheets to add the "_ @CRLF & " stuff but I couldn't place it (lazy Friday).

It's a cool script - it monitors an IP address to see if it's pingable. If it isn't, it sets a flag, and then waits for it to be pingable again. When it's pingable again it loads a web page that sends me a text page. This is so I can know that my VPN connection got broken and and that I need to reauthenticate so my huge download can continue...

Peace,

BlueBearr

BlueBearrOddly enough, this is what I do for fun.

Yeah, I dislike using an external file because inevitably you lose it, and then you have to test for it and/or store the contents in the script so you have a ready backup blah blah...

Thanks anyway. I ended up including it in the script, because I had to stick some text in the middle anyway & it was easier to just start with it in pieces than to break it up. I know I've written spreadsheets to add the "_ @CRLF & " stuff but I couldn't place it (lazy Friday).

It's a cool script - it monitors an IP address to see if it's pingable. If it isn't, it sets a flag, and then waits for it to be pingable again. When it's pingable again it loads a web page that sends me a text page. This is so I can know that my VPN connection got broken and and that I need to reauthenticate so my huge download can continue...

Peace,

BlueBearr

you could fileinstall() the external file into your script, then you don't lose it...