GuiBuilderNxt - Reboot [08/18/2016]

jaberwacky

Latest update!

1) Improved the properties window and added some options such as the ability to change the control text, size, pos, visible state, and ontop state.

2) Ever present properties window that updates in not quite exactly real time.  It updates at the end of a move or resize operation.  Good enough.  You'll see what I mean.

3) Added an option to show hidden controls.

4) Context menu is consistent as well as selecting a control and being able to remove and resize according to expectations.  This was a real bear to get finalized!

5) Laying out one group will result in a group titled "Group1".  Laying out one button will result in "Button1" rather than "Button2" as would have been done previously.

On the horizon:

1) Ability to set all of a controls states and styles from the properties window.

2) Visual hints to tell you when you're within so many pixels from the edge of the window or control.  Mimics the gui designer of Visual Basic.

3) Soon, I will focus this thread so that all updates, changes to the changelog, and additions to the roadmap are on the first post.

Without furthur adieu:

attachment=46105:GUIBuilderNxt.zip dl: 4

Edited by jaberwacky

Quite a project you have going here. It's very nice to play with and looks really good. I see it still needs work though.

---------------------------
AutoIt Error
Line 7074  (File "C:\Users\someone\Downloads\GUIBuilderNxt\GuiBuilderNxt.exe"):

Error: Subscript used on non-accessible variable.
OK   

I don't know how I did this, but I'm still very impressed. Thanks for this. :)

Edit

I remember I had deleted a slider control just before this error occured. I was trying to interact with what looked like some kind of positional markers which were still visible.

Edited by czardas

Thanks for the report!  I'll try to find the source of the problem sometime in the pm. I lied. I wouldn't have been able to sleep!  :P

1) fixed bug report per czardas.

Edited by jaberwacky

Issue when dropping tab on form

1. downloaded
  2. started
  3. move tab to form
  4. directly breaks: erro: subsctibt used on non accessible variable (line 7224) 
  5. and exe stops

unable to move a spinner after its dropped on the form

menu and submenu seems to be greyed out

cannot add anything in the group (should that be possible)

Thanks for the report!

Looks like I was too excited to add new features that I overlooked the tab control.  I should be able to issue a fix soon.

Once again, thanks!

No doubt your editing issue, is due to this topic being split off from the other one, and you not having ownership of those posts from that time, once they were relocated. Don't know if a Mod can repair that for you ... possibly not?

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

TheSaint, have you had success getting the tab controls to display properly on the form?  I think Koda does it, or I suspect that it makes its own tab control that acts as a stand in for the actual AutoIt tab.

Edit: I have something displaying actually.  But it's in the top left of the desktop.  Back to the drawing board!

Edited by jaberwacky

No I haven't.

I just tried and I get a small box off to the top left from the main form.

I hadn't got around to playing with your update for a while, until just now, and I had a few issues aside from the Tab.

I notice the Properties dialog pops up when you start the program, so that you have three windows displaying, though the Properties one is half off screen to the left.

One of the things that appealed to me about the original GUIBuilder, is its minimal width screen space, so that it is barely in the way when building a large GUI. So it would be good, if having it present itself at start, was optional, and if clicking a normal size OK button each time you used it, could close it (if that is user preference). HAD A BETTER IDEA, see P.S section below.

With that in mind, I closed the Properties window, and then as needed, opened it again with the right-click option.

However, somehow the Properties window then became disabled, so I couldn't use it or even click on it to move it.

All I could do was exit the program.

A few times when clicking / selecting things, I got an error message then the program quit after clicking OK.

Keep up the good work!

P.S. It may seem I'm being fussy about minimal screen space, but that is one of the main reasons I use it instead of Koda etc, and kept it alive. Personally, I also prefer a single click for properties, rather than the new two click method involving right-click ... double-click would probably be okay though.

THEN AGAIN - If I were building the program from scratch myself, I would probably have the Choose Controls window start top left of screen, and extend the height to accommodate a properties section at the bottom ... no need then for clicking or having a third window to worry about.

Spoiler

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

I would probably have the Choose Controls window start top left of screen, and extend the height to accommodate a properties section at the bottom ... no need then for clicking or having a third window to worry about.

I like this.  Will be in the next update!  Thanks!

Thinking about this more.  It's my understanding that Koda is based off of GuiBuilder.  If I continue developing GuiBuilder in the direction that I wanted to take it would be in effect reinventing Koda.  I think I will abandon some of my more ambitious plans.  I will however attempt to implement the previously disabled controls.  It's really awesome that it now runs on the latest AutoIt along with the features that have been added.  I will continue to implement a template system and other things which don't take away from the scope of the original GuiBuilder which is minimal screen space, ease of use, etc.

I was hoping, and are gratified that you've come to that conclusion.

As you say, no point in re-inventing Koda ... or making it like others out there ... most of them have a lot of input from others too, so you would be on a long hard lonely road unless others jumped on board.

I think it will be pretty cool to have a powerful yet minimal GUI creator ... you could even call it that eventually.

I don't know about most others here, but I do nearly all my coding in SciTE.

The GUI side of it for me, is just the quick get up and going part, then the rest is all by hand (typing).

Anything that improves, saves time or enhances that process is great though.

Spoiler

userbar.png

There is issue with Adding Tabs.

Tabs appear in Top Left edge of screen. 

post-10673-0-60095500-1423192300_thumb.p

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

When I open CheckBox Properties Window , Why I can not close it with ESC key ?

EDIT:
Buttons in "Choose Control Type" Window are not pushed (I mean when I click them they should down, but now they are not)

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Nice feature request.  Thanks!

Btw, if you want to help with getting tabs working, feel free to jump in there.  I'm pretty much at the limit of my knowledge on that.

I have a plan, to jump in to GUIBuilderNXT, but as you probably noticed today I focus on other projects (SMTP, POP3, QUOTED-PRINTABLE).

Also run other behind the scenes, I mean related to my professional work.

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

Is the Show Grid option should now work?

EDIT:
Click RMB on ListView control - PopUp Menu is not appear (so this control can not be deleted)

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

Is the Show Grid option should now work?

It always has for me.  It doesn't work for you?

Click RMB on ListView control - PopUp Menu is not appear (so this control can not be deleted)

Thanks for the report.  I will look into it.

Edit: It looks like you're using WinXP due to the GUI that I saw in your screenshot.  I don't know if this will work on Xp or not.

Edited by jaberwacky