Merging GUI loop with main program loop???

Go to solution Solved by brokenbeforetime,

Hi I'm new to Autoit and the fourm. I have made a script/program that turns the monitor off wen the PC has been idle for a given time and the CPU usage is also under a given percent.  It works fine but I am using two scripts, one for a system tray icon with menus to change settings ect. and one to monitor idle time/CPU usage and turn the monitor off ect.  So basically I have two loops running at one time, one for the GUI and one for the program's function. Is it possible to combine the two into one script/loop?... Here is an example of what I tried...

func guiloop()

Switch TrayGetMsg()
            Case $Exit

EXIT

EndSwitch

endfunc

Do
      $iIdleTime = _Timer_GetIdleTime()
      sleep (250)

call("guiloop")
Until  $iIdleTime > $sMinutes

This almost seem to work, the loop runs and the menus seem to function except the code for the case doesn't run. when I access the menu the loop pauses and continues after I click a menu item, but the code attached to the item doesn't run. I hope I'm explaining myself well enough, I realize this is just a simple example but my full script is over 1500 lines and like I said I'm pretty new to Autoit so its kind of a mess right now.

Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated, even if you just let me know if this would be possible or have any ideas at all... I really want to get this working as one script. Thanks.

Edited by brokenbeforetime

#NoTrayIcon
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>
#include <TrayConstants.au3> ; Required for the $TRAY_ICONSTATE_SHOW constant.

Opt("TrayMenuMode", 3) ; The default tray menu items will not be shown and items are not checked when selected. These are options 1 and 2 for TrayMenuMode.

Example()

Func Example()
    Local $iSettings = TrayCreateMenu("Settings") ; Create a tray menu sub menu with two sub items.
    Local $iDisplay = TrayCreateItem("Display", $iSettings)
    Local $iPrinter = TrayCreateItem("Printer", $iSettings)
    TrayCreateItem("") ; Create a separator line.

Local $idAbout = TrayCreateItem("About")

Local $idExit = TrayCreateItem("Exit")

TraySetState($TRAY_ICONSTATE_SHOW) ; Show the tray menu.

While 1
        Switch TrayGetMsg()
            Case $idAbout ; Display a message box about the AutoIt version and installation path of the AutoIt executable.
                MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", "AutoIt tray menu example." & @CRLF & @CRLF & _
                        "Version: " & @AutoItVersion & @CRLF & _
                        "Install Path: " & StringLeft(@AutoItExe, StringInStr(@AutoItExe, "\", 0, -1) - 1)) ; Find the folder of a full path.

Case $iDisplay, $iPrinter
                while 1
                    MsgBox(0,'this is my monitor loop','')
                WEnd

Case $idExit ; Exit the loop.
                ExitLoop
        EndSwitch
    WEnd
EndFunc   ;==>Example

99% of this is taken from the help file that comes with autoit.  If you click on 'settings - display or print' it will run a loop.

That doesn't solve my problem. The monitor loop should always be running and i should be able to use the menu buttons while it is running.  I know its hard to explain... I don't even know if it possible.  I want the case loop to be within another loop that is constantly performing its action. So in the example you posted, I want the msg box to keep looping but when I click exit the program should exit.

I am using two scripts, one for a system tray icon and menus and one to monitor idle time/CPU usage. I want to combine that into one script.

From the example above.... If you run the following code you will notice it beeps every 3 seconds, but the menus items (cases) no longer work when you click them...is it possible to have the following script beep every 3 seconds and the menu items still function....thats what I'm trying to do...

#NoTrayIcon
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>
#include <TrayConstants.au3> ; Required for the $TRAY_ICONSTATE_SHOW constant.

Opt("TrayMenuMode", 3) ; The default tray menu items will not be shown and items are not checked when selected. These are options 1 and 2 for TrayMenuMode.

Example()

Func Example()
    Local $iSettings = TrayCreateMenu("Settings") ; Create a tray menu sub menu with two sub items.
    Local $iDisplay = TrayCreateItem("Display", $iSettings)
    Local $iPrinter = TrayCreateItem("Printer", $iSettings)

Local $idAbout = TrayCreateItem("About")

Local $idExit = TrayCreateItem("Exit")

TraySetState($TRAY_ICONSTATE_SHOW) ; Show the tray menu.

While 1
        Switch TrayGetMsg()
            Case $idAbout ; Display a message box about the AutoIt version and installation path of the AutoIt executable.
                MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", "AutoIt tray menu example." & @CRLF & @CRLF & _
                        "Version: " & @AutoItVersion & @CRLF & _
                        "Install Path: " & StringLeft(@AutoItExe, StringInStr(@AutoItExe, "\", 0, -1) - 1)) ; Find the folder of a full path.

Case $iDisplay, $iPrinter
                while 1
                    MsgBox(0,'this is my monitor loop','')
                WEnd

Case $idExit ; Exit the loop.
                ExitLoop
        EndSwitch

Beep(500, 50)
    sleep(3000)

WEnd
EndFunc   ;==>Example

• Solution

Think I found a better way using TraySetOnEvent, main loop runs while still allowing tray items to function. If you need to do the same thing with a form and buttons instead of system tray, use GUICtrlSetOnEvent.

Basicaly this lets you create GUI without useing While 1/Switch/case...

Heres an example useing TraySetOnEvent:

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>

Opt("TrayOnEventMode", 1) ; Enable TrayOnEventMode

Local $idExit = TrayCreateItem("Exit") ;creates tray item
TrayItemSetOnEvent($idExit, "EXITButton") ;links tray item to func EXITButton

While 1
    Beep(500, 100) ; Main code/loop here, runs continually
    Sleep(2000)
WEnd

func EXITButton() ;this function runs when tray item is clicked
    Exit
EndFunc