KindEbook Price Query (old version)

TheSaint

UPDATED - see first post.

(v1.4)

More items added to right-click context menu entry.
[1] Go to web page - executes the URL in default browser.
[2] Copy URL to clipboard.
[3] Selected Entry Detail (text only) - renamed slightly and now includes Summary on the dialog.
[4] Selected Entry Detail (image + text) - GUI version with embedded IE and Image data with text.
[5] Add a comment - a user comment can now be added for each ebook.
[6] Get missing summary - Summary is now part of ADD, but for earlier added ebooks use this to update.
[7] Get missing image data - obtaining image data is now part of ADD, but for previous ebooks without it, use this option to update.

NOTES - For all ebooks added in this version, obtaining image data is attempted. It could fail, as I have done very little testing so far. However, it is important to note, that for every successful scan, a DAT file is created using the ISBN as filename and stored in a program sub-folder called Image Data. If you don't want this, just edit the INI file, and set the 'store=1' value to 4 etc. A quick way to later re-enable this option, is to simply use the 'Get missing image data' menu entry.
Roughly about 25kb's is used per ebook for the DAT file, from which an image (book cover) can be seen in a browser or the program GUI (once standard HTML tags are added).
The web (html) page text read, now uses a reduction factor of 4 (quarter) not 3 (third), so that Book Detail (Summary) can be read. Reduction is at start and end of a full read.
As an aid to issues with the HTML read, when adding an ebook via URL, the 'reduction' text value (number of characters) is now written to the 'Settings.ini' file.
Adding an ebook does not fail, when only Summary or Image Data fail to be gleaned.
Any user created comment is added to the beginning of Date information and shown in the Comments field. It can also be seen in both Selected Entry Detail options.

INTERESTING - The Image Data feature came about, after I discovered that the book cover image existed, when it was just a text only html file (no companion _files folder or image file). I realized it must be a text version (JavaScript, etc) of the original image. I wondered how I could utilize that, to give a nifty addition to my program. That lead me to the browser, which lead me to embedding an instance of IE.

HELPFUL - In the end with this version, I had to create some INI entries that can be manually added to, as I found myself going back and forwards between my net PC and my programming one. I found a difference between the Firefox browsers on each, when it came to html tags and odd characters. These tags and characters caused issues when it came to get a Summary, and I keep coming across new ones (mostly odd characters), so hence the INI entries for each. Just add to them as you need to, by paying close attention to how the existing ones are.

Basically, a pipe character separates the tags and the characters. They are further split by the colon character ':', into tags and characters on left and replacement (if any) on right.

Here's some other recent ones I discovered, that you can add to the INI entry for characters (Html Replace section).

|’:'|–:-|ê:e|…:...|‘:'

P.S. Sometimes you have to laugh at yourself. After the last version, except for one thing I thought would be great, I had no real intention to do much to this program for a while, and in fact, didn't think there were many more good features to add. As usual, I was wrong. I even learnt about embedding IE and some differences with newer html tags, etc. One example of this is the old <br> tag is seen now as <BR />.

Edited by TheSaint

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

Here are some more odd characters. Seems no end of them.

|&#x2019;:'|&#x2013;:-|&#xea;:e|&#x2026;:...|&#x2018;:'|&#x2014;: - |&#x201c;:"|&#x201d;:"

Just copy and paste the lot onto the end of existing 'characters=' in the 'Html Replace' section.

I'll just keep adding new ones here for now. Added previous post ones to start.

Eventually I'll add them all to the program, to make life easier.

EDIT

Processed all 33 of the ebooks on my list now, and I'm pleased to say the Image Data read did not fail once.

That last 10 or so Summary reads went without a hitch (except one complete fail), not requiring any more INI additives. The one ebook where the Summary failed, was due to a badly placed </DIV> tag, which is not my fault, but I will code for it in the next update. It came immediately after the <DIV> tag, and the Book Description was supposed to be between, but it was after. Painful having to work around the mistakes of others, and accounting for who knows what.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

(v1.5)

Fix added for unexpected </DIV> tag, when getting Summary.
A few buttons and a permanent Comments field (which can be updated there) added to Image Data GUI.
The buttons replicate some of the List right-click context menu options.
Two further Dates added - Changed and Previous.
Added all currently known odd character replacements to code (all those from my previous two posts).
You won't get these additions, unless it is a first time install or you clear that setting (characters=).
Don't forget to comment out that setting instead, for any additions you may have made to it.
Then add any missing ones from your additions, onto the end of the updated program values.

Comments now supports multiline (indicated by pipes or spaces in certain views).

P.S. Never say never when it comes to Program updates.
With programming, you are on a journey, and your mind's eye keeps seeing things.
Chiefly, I added the extra buttons in this version, because I hate not having a large EXIT button where I expect it.
When deciding what to fill the rest of the space on left with, a permanent Comments field with UPDATE button seemed like a good idea, with the other two buttons obvious choices.
I added the two extra dates, because that was an issue I'd been cogitating over.

P.S.S. Don't forget to advise us of any TAGS and CHARACTERS you come across, that need catering for.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

Look at that.

Within an hour or two of telling MikahS (a fan of the program) that v1.5 could very well be the last update, unless some issue arises, the following suddenly occurred to me, which I wrote in a PM to MikahS. I then thought I should share those thoughts here.

Like I say though, never say never.

It just occurred to me, that I could populate the Comments field, now that it is multiline, with every change that happens price-wise for an ebook.

That could be seen as a good way to study price behavior long term.

If I did that, then I would put that Comment element last in that field.

i.e. Users comments first, then date added and last checked, then the price fluctuations and dates.

Look at that, I'm already thinking it is a great idea ... v1.6 won't be long in coming methinks.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

And yet again, I've just had two more ideas for the next update (total of three now).

[1] PAID or BOUGHT (my last purchase is still on the list, and I might just leave it there as a record).

[2] PRICE DIFFERENCE (save you some mental work, if you are lazy like me).

P.S. Something weird happens with the latest link at the first post, where it works fine after I create it, but when I check back later and try to use it, it doesn't work. I've noted the last few times, these two types of differences.

For some reason, it is not getting the page-2 element first time around.

Spoiler

userbar.png

Do you plan on adding support for any other sites than Amazon?  I am rather fond of Smashwords.

--Edit--

Silly me.  I just realized you have the source code link right above the application link.

I'll let you know if I get Smashwords working on my end.

Edited by willichan

Sounds good, I use Smashwords a little myself ... only freebies up til now though.

Spoiler

userbar.png

(v1.6)

Rewrote the code for making a right-clicked list entry the selected entry. Hot item was giving mixed and odd results.
Swapped out the scroll command (used during a Query to make sure selected Listview entry is always visible), when I discovered the ensure visible command.
Added two more List right-click context menu items - "View price results" and "Bought this ebook".
ISBN column will display the leading text of "Bought - " for any ebooks designated as such.
ISBN column sorts by title alphabetically, placing all designated "Bought" ebooks first.
"View price results" option displays any changes to price for selected ebook, comparing the four values (Start, Low, High, Current).
"Bought this ebook" option prompts with an input box, of current price and date, which can be edited and/or added or set blank and removed.
When this program version (and any later updates to an earlier installed version) runs for the first time, prices for each ebook are compared, and where appropriate a changes entry created.
From now on, all price changes are recorded during a query, and added to that entry, on a line plus line basis.

If you want the Time also recorded for these changes, then you will need to have manually set an INI entry previously (time=1) in the "Now Date Format" section of the "Settings.ini" file..
Those changes can be seen at the end of the Comments input, or on both the "Selected Entry Detail" reports (Dialog or GUI).
If you don't wish to have them display on the "Selected Entry Detail (text only)" dialog, then you can set an INI value (changes=4) in the "Selected Entry Detail" section.
You may wish to do that last, if there ends up being too many.
You can also prevent all these extra price changes from being recorded, by setting (record=4) in the "All Price Changes" section.
In the "Selected Entry Detail (image + text)" GUI, these changes are displayed in the lower portion of the Comments field (each per line), and ignored during a user update.

NOTE - Before running this version for the first time (IF YOU'VE installed an earlier version), you should read the above information, and maybe even make a backup of the "Catalog.ini" file.
Personally, I recommend you don't bother, but you may wish to edit the aforementioned "time" or "record" values in the "Settings.ini" file.
Take note though, that they are not created until first run (afterward you could copy to the backup and then edit and reinstate) (Don't forget to also copy the update=1 setting in the Program section).
Or you could work around this by manually creating either of them yourself, before first run.
Creating the (record=4) value before first run, will bypass the updating mentioned above.
Or you could just manually change the setting afterward, and delete all the (changes=) values that resulted.
Once again, I don't recommend you do any of these options, but I won't force my preferences on you.

OTHER - The updating process in this version, is trying to make up for the fact, that there wasn't a "changes" record in earlier versions, so it will not return completely correct results (as in the correct date), plus it only deals with last LOW and HIGH values. You can edit (or add to) these of course, if you know the correct dates and other changes.

P.S. I also finally remembered to make the Image Data GUI a function.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

Interesting observation.

Despite having made many programs with Listview's, this is the first time I've actually done a right-click make selected ability.

I'm sure I may have considered it in the past, even perhaps briefly investigated.

It eventually took me two different methods, with the second seemingly faultless, to get it right.

I guess that just reinforces the notion, that nothing ever stays the same forever ... your little gray cells are always ticking over, and while you appear to be locked into a habit or viewing things the same way, in reality, little changes are going on behind the scenes, that eventually result in a larger change one day.

That would also help explain, why in so many instances, I still occasionally update a seemingly finished program years later.

Nothing has changed in my use or requirement, but one day a notion just pops into my head, and I think I should add some feature or change something.

No doubt others have the same experience.

P.S. Added another two ebooks to my list today ... 35 now. Plus, another on the list was reduced enough in price to consider making a purchase.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

I guess that just reinforces the notion, that nothing ever stays the same forever ... your little gray cells are always ticking over, and while you appear to be locked into a habit or viewing things the same way, in reality, little changes are going on behind the scenes, that eventually result in a larger change one day.

That would also help explain, why in so many instances, I still occasionally update a seemingly finished program years later.

Nothing has changed in my use or requirement, but one day a notion just pops into my head, and I think I should add some feature or change something.

It is called age and maturity, my friend.  Or was it age and senility?  I sometimes forget.  Oh well.  Where did I set down my donut?

It is called age and maturity, my friend.  Or was it age and senility?  I sometimes forget.  Oh well.  Where did I set down my donut?

You talk like a true Ringleader, steeped in the mysteries of The Donut.

The Donut Age has begun .... getting old and eating in circles.

Nothing quite like an aged and mature Donut!

P.S. You're sitting on it.

Spoiler

userbar.png

(v1.7)

Added little fix to Summary (Book Description) read, for too many blank lines occasionally.
Two more List context menu items added - "Price History" and "SETTINGS".
'Price History' means you can now disable it showing in "Selected Entry Detail" dialog, if you wish.
'SETTINGS' is a window to access all settings that previously required manual editing of INI file.
This quick easy 'Settings' access, also has options to restore defaults.
'Remove' and 'ON TOP' buttons on main window, have now swapped positions.
Main 'Information' dialog updated for a missing element from last version.

NOTES - Having discovered too many blank lines in one of my ebook summaries, I decided to add a fix.
Not wanting to make an update just for that, I racked my brain for some other elements worthy of coding for the update, and came up with the other improvements and features.

While I haven't made a change to the default setting, I will never-the-less now set 'Show ALL price changes ...' to de-selected, for myself, as I see it becoming a size issue for some ebooks with large summaries. You shoud probably do the same.

If you haven't made any user additions for VALUE (characters), and you haven't done what was suggested last version, and are not installing for the first time, then you should benefit from doing an UPDATE on the SETTINGS window for that option (just click UPDATE, with no VALUE selected).

Spoiler

userbar.png

Ah, the mind .... it never rests.

Just had an idea to include in next update.

Basically, store the last few query results ... perhaps cycle the last five.

Funny, it didn't occur to me before now, as on occasion I had tried to recall all the entries that were on the last one, while manually checking the Price History for those ebooks that had changed.

P.S. I must get along to my Credit Union, and put some more money in my Visa Debit account, as I have 3 or 4 ebooks at acceptable prices now ... one dropped by about $3 yesterday, and another dropped again in price today. Had a whole lot go up in price (a few cents) a week or so ago, only to have just as many (maybe more) go down by more ($0.30 on average) than that recently.

Spoiler

userbar.png

(v1.8)

Added an option to store and view up to the last five Query results.
Both the 'Settings.ini' and 'Catalog.ini' files can be viewed via a button on the SETTINGS window.
The SAVE LIST button, can now save a comma delimited csv file of current list state, or using either CTRL or SHIFT keys, view the 'Catalog.ini' or last saved file.
'Price History' and 'View price results' menu items have swapped positions, with 'Query Results' menu item added.

NOTES - I have not been able to fully test the new last five Query results process. I did a real world test just a while ago, and it worked fine for the first of five, save and retrieve. Couldn't be bothered setting up elaborate testing to see if it cycles all five slots correctly, so just decided to make it real world. It should be ok, unless I had an illogical moment somewhere ... in which case, we'll soon find out, and I will have to be bothered ... not a script-breaker though ... just a handy feature.

EDIT

Only reports for a Query, that contain a result, are saved for retrieval.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

Jeez, that was quick. :blink:

Hadn't even finished adding my notes, and there was 3 downloads already. :D

EDIT

Got 39 ebooks on my list now. Only one changed price today. :

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

It's one way I can show my wife how much I can spend on e-books and stay in budget, yet she can't get mad, so it's pretty relevant for me. ;) alt="wink.png">

Keep up the good work. ^_^

Snips & Scripts

My Snips: graphCPUTemp ~ getENVvars
My Scripts: Short-Order Encrypter - message and file encryption V1.6.1 ~ AuPad - Notepad written entirely in AutoIt V1.9.4

Feel free to use any of my code for your own use.                                                                                                                                                           Forum FAQ

(v1.9)

Added an option to keep the URL InputBox presenting until Cancel is clicked.
Optional splash screen for no price changes result from a Query (mouse move closes).
Added a STOP facility for Query.
The URL InputBox now exits from a cancel, without the unnecessary URL message.
Improved some code.

NOTES - Not much here to get too excited about, and I held off with the upload a while just in case I got some more ideas.

Still, if you have a lot of ebooks in the list, and for some reason, need or want to stop the full Query process, you now can, with the QUERY button turning into a STOP button during a query.

Sometimes, it is nice to get a report, even if that report says "no changes". So I added a splash screen option for Query. The splash screen displays until you move your mouse, though not for the first 1.5 seconds (after which the mouse position is checked every 500 milliseconds).

I rewrote a small amount of code, because old habits die hard, and it only occurred to me after I uploaded, what I'd done.

While testing the next feature, I discovered that an unnecessary URL message was being displayed when cancel was clicked for the URL inputbox, so I added code to stop that.

This next and last feature for this update, is possibly the best of the lot, and probably very welcome to first time users, as it allows the URL inputbox to re-open immediately after you add an ebook to the list, all ready for the next one to be added, thus saving on a click (and time taken querying the connection) ... though you lose the clipboard benefit for second and subsequent additions, which is just requiring a simple paste to the highlighted previous URL.

P.S. Before doing that last feature, I had toyed with the idea of adding a floating ADD dropbox, before the loop method occurred to me. While a dropbox would be handy, as it would take up barely any screen space, I figured you probably need to visually see that the ebook was successfully added to the list, so I went for the loop method instead ... was also easier to test, and far easier to code for, as while I've done dropboxes for shortcuts, files and folders in some of my programs, I've never done one for a URL, and so was unsure how difficult that might end up being ... I was imagining dragging a link onto the dropbox ... if I can be bothered, it might become an optional item on a future update.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

Well, all five save Query slots are now filled (for me), so that part of my code worked ok, the next price change from a Query, should see the oldest save replaced by the next oldest and so on, as each shuffle up to accommodate the new (latest), which should happen some time tomorrow, going by changes every day so far, of late. Of course, that's if I coded correctly.

I'm thinking, I might extend the five to ten ... seeing as they are changing so often at the moment.

I may even make that number, user optional.

Expect the possibility in a future update.

Apart from that, and the weak possibility of the Dropbox I previously mentioned, I really have no clue about any other features or improvements to add ... aside from maybe making the new STOP function, optional, for those concerned about every CPU cycle.

I could add some fluff, like Goto (search for) an ebook entry on the list, but with various sort options and the likelihood that most will probably have less than 40 (possibly way less) items on their list, it just seems of vague benefit.

Spoiler

userbar.png

Well, all five save Query slots are now filled (for me), so that part of my code worked ok, the next price change from a Query, should see the oldest save replaced by the next oldest and so on, as each shuffle up to accommodate the new (latest), which should happen some time tomorrow, going by changes every day so far, of late. Of course, that's if I coded correctly.

Well, I can now confirm my code worked flawlessly.

Seems a lot of price changing going on at the moment, and i didn't have to wait half as long as expected.

Always nice to have real world confirmation of code that you didn't test, other than in your head.

It pleases the Doubting Thomas in me.

Spoiler

userbar.png